autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

How to safely remove a dried bird dropping

How to safely remove a dried bird dropping

If you have a completely dried bird dropping on your car's finish, and you DON'T have access to a water hose with free flowing water, then instead of wiping it off with a spray detailer or worse, scrubbing it off, do this instead,

• Take a clean microfiber polishing cloth, fold it four ways to create a thick, plush wiping cloth.

• Next, spray one side with your favorite spray detailer, the idea is to hyper-lubricate the entire face of one side.

• Next place it onto the dried bird dropping.

• Wet the cloth with water until the entire cloth is saturated but not to the point where water is running down the hood. The idea is to have plenty of water present to soak into the dried bird dropping.

• Let the wet cloth stand on the dried bird dropping for 5-10 minutes.

• Now, carefully enclose the wet-microfiber around the bird dropping using your hand and fingers , you're trying to carefully bunch-up the microfiber and then LIFT the bird dropping off the paint. Don't simply wipe the bird dropping over the paint.

Simulated bird dropping that has landed on the middle of the hood. In the real world, bird droppings contain Uric Acid and if not removed in a very short period of time they can actually eat through a coating of wax or paint sealant and etch or eat into the paint.

Simulated bird dropping using Meguiar's M205 with a little Wolfgang Finishing Glaze mixed on top for visual effect. Note, because the focus of this how-to article is on technique, we did not let the polishes dry as that's not a good practice but we think you'll get the idea.

Mist on a wet or heavy application of your favorite spray detailer detailer to hyper-lubricate one folded side.

Gently place the wet side of the microfiber onto the bird dropping.

Now add water to saturate your microfiber but don't add so much that you have water running off the hood. Allow 5-10 minutes to pass so the water can soak into the dried bird dropping in an effort to re-liquefy to make it soft so as to reduce the potential of instilling any swirls and scratches from dried bird dropping being rubbed against the paint.

Now carefully use your hand to scrunch or bunch up the microfiber around the now liquefied bird dropping and then lift the bird dropping up and off the paint. Don't simply wipe the bird dropping over the paint.

Give the area a final wipe using a new, clean fresh microfiber polishing towel using your favorite spray detailer.

Bird Dropping Etchings
    If you notice any etching in the paint left by the bird dropping you'll need to use a compound, paint cleaner or swirl mark remover by hand or machine to carefully remove the etching and then afterwards polish the paint to a high gloss and re-apply your favorite wax or paint sealant.

If you need helps with removing an etching by hand or machine, post your question to the Autogeek Online Discussion Forum and we'll be happy to walk you through the process.

Products shown
    Pinnacle XMT Final Finish Instant Detailer - 12 ounces
    Cobra Arctic White Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloth

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to safely remove a dried bird dropping

Thanks Mike,
    I just found out that I've been doing it wrong. I usually spray bird dropping and let it soak and then remove with MF towel

Lear something new every day.
    CORN FED STI

Post Thanks / Like

Great tip - thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like

awesome thread, thanx

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing the technique Mike. I do have a question though.

Do all bird droppings have the same affect on paint? E.g., the little yellow bird dropping vs. the nasty white and greenish pigeon dropping.
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Post Thanks / Like

Cool stuff, thanks....again!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by kronos View Post

Do all bird droppings have the same affect on paint? E.g., the little yellow bird dropping vs. the nasty white and greenish pigeon dropping.
    I don't have the answer to that questions. Good question though and maybe we have an Ornithologist in our membership?

Post Thanks / Like

Great suggestion. Thanks Mike!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kronos View Post

i would say yes, cause they all have the same ingredient's in them. that ureic acid mike talked about in the earlier post.

10. Thanks scatpack72 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the post Mike! It will really help me now that my car is parked outside and I have to deal with the occassional bird dropping.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast