autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Two "Must Have" Car Washing Tools - The Brass Shut-off Valve & Brass Quick Connector

Two "Must Have" Car Washing Tools - The Brass Shut-off Valve & Brass Quick Connector

Without a doubt, the Single Brass Connector Shut-off Valve is one of the best car washing tools ever invented. Period.

Look, we can all discuss which wash mitt we love the best or which car wash soap is our favorite, or talk about hose nozzles, foam guns or pressure washers, but once we get past that, no matter what your personal preference might be we all have to turn the water on and off and that's where the Single Brass Connector Shut Off Valve comes into play.

The Single Brass Connector Shut Off Valve
    If I were to count how many steps I've taken over a lifetime to walk back and forth to the water spigot to either turn the water on or turn the water off I could have walked a hundred miles by now easily.

If you don't already have one of these energy and time saving brass shut-off valves on the end of every one of your water hoses around the house or shop, then you're missing boat because once you use a brass water shut-off valve one time you'll never want to be without it again. Yes, that's what I typed, one time.

So take a look at these pictures as they tell the story and then imagine yourself the next time you're using a water hose for ANYTHING and imagine how great it would be if you didn't have to walk all the way back to the water spigot each time you wanted to either turn the water on, or turn the water off.

This is another must-have tool in your detailing arsenal of tools...

Brass Water Shut-Off Valve in the "On" position

Simply turn the T-handle to turn the water off...

Ready for water again? Simply turn the T-Handle to the open position.

Water's back on! And you didn't have to walk back to the water spigot!

How it works
    It's real simple and will give you years of service, there's a swivel ball valve

The Brass Quick Connector
    If you've already equipped all your water hoses with a Brass Connector Shut Off Valve, either a single, a double or a 4-way, you're already way ahead of the curve but let me show you another handy tool that's just as cool.

This quick disconnect fitting enables you to switch between water tools on-the-fly!

With a leak-proof seal, you can quickly and easily remove your Fire Hose Nozzle and switch to your Foam Gun in seconds without having to find a pair of pliers to loosen and then tighten the threaded end of your water hose off or onto one of your water tools.

Brass Male Quick Connects 3 Pack

How it works
    Simply pull the release back...

Slide the male end of a brass connector into the brass female connector...

Then let go of the release and you're ready for action!

Products Shown
    Single Brass Connector Shut Off Valve
    Brass Quick Connector 3-Pack Set
    Fire Hose Nozzle
    Grit Guard Insert
    5 Gallon Wash Bucket System with Dolly - RED
    Wolfgang Auto Bathe

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Two "Must Have" Car Washing Tools - The Brass Shut-off Valve & Brass Quick Connector

I would not be without the shut off valve. A time saver that pays for itself many times over in water savings, and good for the enviroment as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Two "Must Have" Car Washing Tools - The Brass Shut-off Valve & Brass Quick Connector

Two things I don't have.
    I do use shut-off valves and quick connectors, but I use plastic ones so there is less chance of dinging my paint in case I should happen to let things get away from me.
    That has never happened, but that just means it's waiting to happen some day.
    Charles
    The Rainmaker

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2-way shut-off fixed close to my wash area with a supply hose, and then two "usable" hoses. I can run the pressure washer and the regular hose without having to connect/disconnect 15 times!

The only problem is that I noticed a major pressure loss. Can't recall off the top of my head what my hose sizes are, but I do know that when you run straight off the spigot the pressure is tremendous.

DLB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Blevins View Post
    I have a 2-way shut-off fixed close to my wash area with a supply hose, and then two "usable" hoses. I can run the pressure washer and the regular hose without having to connect/disconnect 15 times!

The only problem is that I noticed a major pressure loss. Can't recall off the top of my head what my hose sizes are, but I do know that when you run straight off the spigot the pressure is tremendous.

DLB
    Two things.
    1. Obviously the hose size can affect the pressure as can the hose length.
    2. What many people don't realize is that shut-off valves and quick connects also can have different internal sizes.
    I don't know if it varies by price or not. I just look for the ones with the biggest hole through them when in the open position.
    Charles
    The Rainmaker

Post Thanks / Like

Great review and write-up Mike. I thought I'd add one more thing that I find useful.

If you like to sheet water after rinsing try adding a couple feet of hose after the valve. This takes away the jet spray effect you get when water is forced out of the valve.

With the additional length of hose, now when you take the nozzle off it will gently stream out. Old hoses work good for this. Just buy a quality male/female end and hook it up.

I've never had luck with plastic hose fittings of any type but especially quick connectors. I think these quality brass ones are well worth the extra money.

Craig

7. Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigr View Post
    Great review and write-up Mike. I thought I'd add one more thing that I find useful.

If you like to sheet water after rinsing try adding a couple feet of hose after the valve. This takes away the jet spray effect you get when water is forced out of the valve.

With the additional length of hose, now when you take the nozzle off it will gently stream out. Old hoses work good for this. Just buy a quality male/female end and hook it up.
    That's a great tip. I'v had to run back and forth to shut the water off and turn it back on and it's just not feasible. I was so happy when I finally got the shut off valve a QD adapters.

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN View Post
    That's a great tip. I'v had to run back and forth to shut the water off and turn it back on and it's just not feasible. I was so happy when I finally got the shut off valve a QD adapters.
    Welcome to this century, Jake!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

11. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love that shut off tool...

Post Thanks / Like

I have the quick disconnect on my water hose. The end that attaches from the hose to the water spigot.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

14. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast