autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: RIDS and Feathersanding - A Highly Specialized Technique by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by jbgrant View Post
    Bump. Photos?
    You mean the red x's?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Red x's... yeah, I viewed the photos when this first was posted, but just wanted to take a look again now that I have the "same" car to work on.
    Maybe they linked to another site that no longer hosts them... they are no longer on any company's site from what I see.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by PA 2 IL View Post
    Red x's... yeah, I viewed the photos when this first was posted, but just wanted to take a look again now that I have the "same" car to work on.
    Maybe they linked to another site that no longer hosts them... they are no longer on any company's site from what I see.

Those photos are hosted on the Meguiar's Online Photo Gallery. Meguiar's recently upgraded their vBulletin software to the newest version and since the upgrade all the photos in the first gallery are now red x's.

I e-mailed Mike Pennington about the issue last night and I'm sure they have one of their IT guys investigating. I hope they find a fix as I have almost 4000 photos hosted on the MOL photo gallery and they are shared all over the Internet.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it's being worked on... thanx!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PA 2 IL View Post
    Hey jbgrant, I'm from PA, but live in IL now... we go to Bloomington all the time for the restaurants.
    What part of IL do you live in? I'm right in the middle in Normal.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Kaleb-
    Well, I'm in Marshall, IL, so we go to Bloomington, but actually Bloomington IN, to go out for dinner, etc. since good old Terre Haute gets old pretty quickly. We do get to Champaign once in a while also.
    - Josh

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

NICE! The images are back up. Man that's stellar - shows where to tape off the e34, what the sanding process looks like... I hope mine turns out half as good as that M5! Thanks Mike!

Post Thanks / Like

Just had to post this for you Mike. Not everything is gone you just have to know how to find it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by O.C.Detailing View Post
    Hey Mike, if I make a bottle specifically for a wet-sanding spray solution, should I just use 2-3 drops of car wash soap for the entire bottle or use a teaspoon or two of the car wash shampoo?

I do have a bottle, but I believe I used too much soap based on what you're saying. This post is some awesome information. It's amazing the kinds of things you don't think about (like cutting sand paper into small pieces) when you get into the heat of the moment trying to remove a few RIDS.

I've been using a form of your feathersanding when I wet sand, but not to the specific directions you provided here. I'll start using your method as it makes a ton of sense and will hopefully make removing the sanding marks and scratches a lot easier.

Thanks for the informative post.
    Bump...in case Mike never read the above post.
    Bill

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    Bump...in case Mike never read the above post.
    Thanks Bill....

Hey Mike, if I make a bottle specifically for a wet-sanding spray solution, should I just use 2-3 drops of car wash soap for the entire bottle or use a teaspoon or two of the car wash shampoo?
    Just a drop or two for a 32 ounce spray bottle of water. You want just enough soap to provide lubrication plus anit-loading of the disc with paint particles but you don't want to create suds as you sand.

I do have a bottle, but I believe I used too much soap based on what you're saying. This post is some awesome information. It's amazing the kinds of things you don't think about (like cutting sand paper into small pieces) when you get into the heat of the moment trying to remove a few RIDS.

I've been using a form of your feather sanding when I wet sand, but not to the specific directions you provided here. I'll start using your method as it makes a ton of sense and will hopefully make removing the sanding marks and scratches a lot easier.

Thanks for the informative post.

Glad it helps....

For everyone reading this into the future, keep in mind when I wrote this article and used this technique products like the 3M #3000 and #5000 Trizact Sanding Discs had NOT been invented yet.

Dampsanding with 3" Griot's Garage Mini Polisher

Griot's 3" Mini Polisher works great as a 3" Dampsander

Nor had the Rupes TA50 been introduced yet.

Rupes TA50 Mini Sander - First look...

Rupes TA50 Removing RIDS

Precision Buffing with the Rupes TA50 - It doesn't get any better than this!

Rupes TA50 Mini Sander with Meguiar's Xtra Cut MF Discs in action!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast