autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing Orange Peel & Sanding Marks with the Griot's ROP and the Wolfgang Twins

Excellent detailed write up Mike, however I expected nothing less from the "Master of Correction"!!! Mike, I always appreciate your time & tireless effort that you put into all of your "How to's". I know I have certainly benefited from your expertise & approach my work with more confidence because of you.

Mike Phillips

Re: Removing Orange Peel & Sanding Marks with the Griot's ROP and the Wolfgang Twins

Quote Originally Posted by Slava View Post
    Would it be beneficiary to use 2K, 2.5K and 3K on the same spot and then remove scratches?
    That's what I did.

The idea being to reduce the depth of the scratches to a minimum to make it easier for a tool with a free rotating spindle assembly to remove them.

I could have finished sanded using the Abralon #4000 grit discs but I wanted to stick with papers the average enthusiast has access to.

The GG ROP removed them without flinching on this paint system with the products shown, a person could remove them even more easily with a more aggressive compound.

I purposefully used non-aggressive products just for demonstration purposes.

Of course in the real world if I were sanding I would use a rotary buffer with a wool pad to remove my sanding marks because it's the fastest and most efficient way to remove a lot of paint quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    That's what I did.

The idea being to reduce the depth of the scratches to a minimum to make it easier for a tool with a free rotating spindle assembly to remove them.

I could have finished sanded using the Abralon #4000 grit discs but I wanted to stick with papers the average enthusiast has access to.

The GG ROP removed them without flinching on this paint system with the products shown, a person could remove them even more easily with a more aggressive compound.

I purposefully used non-aggressive products just for demonstration purposes.

Of course in the real world if I were sanding I would use a rotary buffer with a wool pad to remove my sanding marks because it's the fastest and most efficient way to remove a lot of paint quickly.

Thank You.
    CORN FED STI

Post Thanks / Like

whats the reason you used mils and not microns for measurement?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Misha View Post
    whats the reason you used mils and not microns for measurement?
    Personal preference.

My background is working with mils, not microns.

Post Thanks / Like

fantastic write up! may i say perhaps youre best ever?

Post Thanks / Like

great write up Mike. One questions: for every paint that has orange look must be used #2000, #2500 & #3000?

Post Thanks / Like

wow mike i am in awe. you are the champ in multi tasking. how many jobs do you perform for ag? i had a show truck a couple years back that a pro pinstriper/artist took 2.5 hours just on one bed rail to sand. guess it takes what it takes. at my age i would probably croak before completing a full orange peel remover. kudos for the great write up. dave

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, this "How-To" was incredibly detailed and perfectly documented! I read it awhile back but not the whole thing. I just finished reading it in it's entirety this time. WOW!

Unfortunately I am not brave enough to attempt removal of any orange peel on the panels of my factory painted Sky.

Thanks again for the education!
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome article Mike! I can't believe I never saw this before!

Definitely going to bookmark this one for people who have wet sanding questions in the future.

Rasky
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast