autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to insert an image from your photo gallery into your message

Quote Originally Posted by Nappers View Post
    If the picture is originally a jpeg, then it won't affect the outcome
    Actually it will. Jpeg's are are a compressed image file. For more info than should be here...Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A BMP is a true pixel for pixel file. This is why they are typically larger.

What you see in paint is that it chooses the compression ratio for you with a .jpg. If you start off with a very high quality picture, you end up with a good quality picture.

Photoshop (and others I am sure) lets you choose how much to compress your image. But a .jpg will always compress.

If you want to see it happen - open a photo in paint, save it, then save it again, etc...
    You will see the quality start to degrade. (Not saying any of this for arguments sake, just information...)

Mike - as far as free image editing - the best I have seen is this:
    Photo editor online pixlr free edit image direct in your browser

You can resize, crop, and edit photos in a number of ways. The UI is very much like Photoshop though (which I am used to) so it may not be as easy as I think.

If I get time I can help snag some screen shots and get that outlined for you.

Also - for image resizing, Microsoft has a GREAT solution.
    Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP
    The Image Resizer powertoy plugs into your shell and you can then right click an image, and resize it (or several) on the fly.

DLB

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Blevins View Post

What you see in paint is that it chooses the compression ratio for you with a .jpg. If you start off with a very high quality picture, you end up with a good quality picture.

If you want to see it happen - open a photo in paint, save it, then save it again, etc...
    You will see the quality start to degrade. (Not saying any of this for arguments sake, just information...)
    What you posted is what I've always seen, that's why I don't like using Paint to add text to pictures.

You can resize, crop, and edit photos in a number of ways. The UI is very much like Photoshop though (which I am used to) so it may not be as easy as I think.

Thanks! I'll look into that program, sounds like it's just what I'm looking for, I know some people are real Pro's with Photoshop but most people don't own it so when it comes to working with photos on discussion forums I like to find free, easy to use software than any of our members can download and use.

I've actually already written dozens of articles like these on the MOL forum but I can't simply copy and paste them over here so I'm slowly re-creating new articles.

It all comes down to just helping our forum members share their photos in their messages without having to attach them, without having to use sites like Photobucket, (because sooner or later the pictures turn into red x's and at the same time, how to use good Netiquette and be a good steward of the Autogeek resources.

That's a lot to tackle but bite by bite it can be done.

The Image Resizer powertoy plugs into your shell and you can then right click an image, and resize it (or several) on the fly.

DLB
    For years everyone always says what a great tool the Image Resizer in Powertoy's is but it might be beyond the ability of some computer newbies to download the entire suite and get it all figured out. Don't want to overwhelm anyone but a how-to article on downloading Powertoys and then setting up Image Resizer for a Newbie would work great.

_

Post Thanks / Like

Actually it will. Jpeg's are are a compressed image file. For more info than should be here...Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A BMP is a true pixel for pixel file. This is why they are typically larger.

Photoshop (and others I am sure) lets you choose how much to compress your image. But a .jpg will always compress.

DLB

Thanks DB, hate to steer people wrong......

Would that explain the RAW photos on my other camera? They are taken BMP?

For forum purposes, the pictures I take are 5mp and I reduce them with the stretch/skew in MS Paint by 80%.
    Aaron's the name!
    Live long and prosper Leonard Nimoy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nappers View Post
    Thanks DB, hate to steer people wrong......

Would that explain the RAW photos on my other camera? They are taken BMP?

For forum purposes, the pictures I take are 5mp and I reduce them with the stretch/skew in MS Paint by 80%.
    You are correct Nappers. The RAW Photo is a totally unprocessed (from my understanding) picture. It shows up in the BMP format because no compression is applied.

DLB

Post Thanks / Like

Nice writeup Mike!

The RAW Photo is a totally unprocessed (from my understanding) picture.
    Correct. RAW format is completely uncompressed(massive images sizes). Generally only Professional and Enthusiast models shoot in RAW. (I used to work at the Kodak Service And Repair Center where all of their digital cameras were repaired, including several cameras that NASA used in the first shuttle mission after the Columbia accident)

GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program Is a free image editing program that is pretty good. Some similar features to Photoshop.

P.S. Love the front shot of the Batmobile!
    Last edited by Evolve; 10-22-2009 at 12:12 PM.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Evolve View Post

Just a small correction, URL is actually Uniform Resource Locator.

I actually know the correct words for the Acronym, just typed it out wrong. I know just enough about writing html code to be dangerous. Thanks, I made the change.

Quote Originally Posted by Evolve View Post
    P.S. Love the front shot of the Batmobile!
    Without question, the most fun car I have ever had the good fortune to polish the paint on.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the tutorial Mike you are a man of your word. i have a mac so it was a little different when you right click on the larger image the drop down menu appears and you select copy image address

a shameless domonstration of my new found skills (thanks Mike)

once you do this click the image icon, right click on the box, and paste the address hit ok. one word of caution make sure you cursor is in the right place or your pic might not go where you want it to in your thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    The problem with Photobucket and freebie photo hosting companies like it is that most people only have the freebie account and when they use up all their free space they start deleting older photos to make room for new photos and then EVERYWHERE they posted the now deleted photos there will be red x's. Kind of takes the fun out of reading a thread only to never see the pictures.
    Agreed, I've found that with a few of the DIY tutorials on a couple of the Lexus Forums I frequent, and it is a real PITA as pics make SUCH a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    On MOL I was a lot meaner and I disabled the "Attach Files" option and forced people to learn how to do it the good steward way.
    I like it It is annoying when they're attached thumbnails.

Mike Phillips

Here's another tip....

Before inserting your picture, hit the ENTER key either once or twice and this will force the image under your last line of text.

Also, after inserting one picture, hit the ENTER key once or twice to force the next picture under the previous picture plus a little white space separating a row of pictures makes it easier on your eyes to view and take-in one picture at at time versus the collage-effect.

Here's some examples...

Text inline with picture

Or two pictures side by side instead of one over the other.
    (I'll use a small picture to make sure you see the effect but it can happen with large pictures too)

A row of pictures without breaks versus a row of pictures with breaks

A row of pictures with breaks

Post Thanks / Like

A note to anyone who already has the full version of MS office. it comes with a great editor called MS office picture editor. Most people do not see it because it is in the MS office tools folder. Its great for croping and resizing and auto fixing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast