autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The power in the after shots is created in the before shots

Hi! Love this write-up...it's really amazing what can be done! Is it fair to ask how much you charged? Thanks!
    Last edited by Suds2Sparkles; 08-14-2010 at 08:54 PM. Reason: More! PS I love your site!

Post Thanks / Like

wow just wow....that looks like that would have taken a lot of time....I am hoping my paint is not unstable and can be brought back like that it is almost exact same color and condition

except i can not get any good before photos to document this using a flash light or anything...got any suggestions on before shots for yellow paint?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by thewraith1971 View Post
    wow just wow....that looks like that would have taken a lot of time....I am hoping my paint is not unstable and can be brought back like that it is almost exact same color and condition
    Keyword being unstable. I have an article on this word, it's just not public yet.

Quote Originally Posted by thewraith1971 View Post
    except i can not get any good before photos to document this using a flash light or anything...got any suggestions on before shots for yellow paint?
    I got them for yellow paint? If I can do it you can do it. For the shots in this thread I think I was standing on a 2-step, step stool to get a better overhead shot.

Move the car into good lighting, your garage, your neighbor's garage, morning or evening before the sun is too bright, or when the sun it directly overhead and bright.

The key thing is to keep the conditions, that is location and time the same for the before, process and after, that maintains continuity.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

Keyword being unstable. I have an article on this word, it's just not public yet.

The article was a how-to book... it's out now... see the word unstable as category #9 in the picture of page 37 below...

Mike Phillips

Here's a dedicated thread with a description of paint conditions and catagories...

Page 37 - Paint Condition Categories

Mike Phillips

Here's a good example of getting GREAT before pictures before buffing out a neglected car...

1971 Dodge Coronet Original Paint Extreme Makeover with Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze

Mike Phillips

Here's another example of the power of getting great before shots and before anyone does any type of rubbing to just a small section before getting all the ugliness captured.

Remember... if you don't get the before shot before you work on the car, you can never go back in time to get them. You must take the time to get the before shots before you start working on the car.

4 Steps to restore single paint paint - 1972 Mercedes-Benz 280 SE

Here's before...

Here's after...

Note, we only did the hood, not the tops of the fenders, if you look at the pictures above I carefully taped the fenders off.

More before and after pictures in the link posted above including the steps performed and products used.

Mike Phillips

Here's an example of getting great before and after shots from Andrew and his single stage pant restoration thread here,

Resurrection! Breathing New Life Into Dead Paint

Before

After

Post Thanks / Like

Going to remind myself the power if before /after. It's what capture the quality of work.

Post Thanks / Like

Got a question for you guys...

On the cars where it is worth doing before and after pictures, I always end the work late in the evening when the light is really bad to take pictures. How do you guys do it?

Yesterday I did a Volkswagen Eos Convertible and the result was dramatic but finished working on it at 8 pm and the light was terrible so I did not take after pictures, making the before pictures worthless ;(

Any tips?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast