autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 5" and 6" Backing Plates on 6.5" pads (Pictures to show safety margin)

For extra clarification, for the LC 5.5 flat pads, what is the recommended backing plate size? I just ordered the 5", do I really need to order the 4"?

Thanks!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by estcstm3 View Post
    For extra clarification, for the LC 5.5 flat pads, what is the recommended backing plate size? I just ordered the 5", do I really need to order the 4"?

Thanks!

The 5" is perfect, it's actually about 4 7/8" so you have a little margin for safety.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
    I always recommend the 5" backing plate with the 6.5" pads due to safety reasons. Even with all my experience I still use a 5" backing plate when working with 6.5" pads. I like knowing I have a little room for error when working in tight spots or around mirrors. I have not found any difference in my work between using the 6" and 5" but I do feel safer with the 5". Just my $.02
    I like your recommendation giving a little room for error but I am wondering why the PC comes with a 5" backing plate but the Megs and the GG come with a 6" plate. Is it possible to buy the GG with a 5" plate? I am trying to decide which polisher to buy and I like the GG because of the warranty but would rather not have to buy two plates when I will want to use both the 5.5" and 6.5" pads, when having only one plate would do everything I need it to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone, I have a similar question, but its with regards to my flex rotary. Would it be ok to use 5" backing plate with 6.5" LC flat pads? Do any of you notice strange behavior/or pads not cutting like its suppose to? I never take the buffer beyond speed 2 (1800RPM), thanks in advance everyone!

Mike Phillips

[quote=S2K;333126]
    I like your recommendation giving a little room for error but I am wondering why the PC comes with a 5" backing plate but the Megs and the GG come with a 6" plate.
    [quote]

I'm pretty sure the PC "by itself" comes with a Porter Cable factory polishing pad with a permanently attached backing plate. If you want a dedicated backing plate you have to order one.

As for why Megs and Griot's come with larger backing plates? Meg's promotes 7" pads for their polisher and Griot's promotes 6.5" pads with their polisher.

You want to balance safety margin with adequate support behind the working surface of the foam pad. If you're just starting out, get a 5" backing plate and start with 5.5" pads no matter which polisher you purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by S2K View Post
    Is it possible to buy the GG with a 5" plate?
    As and add-on...

Quote Originally Posted by CU2MIKE View Post
    Hi everyone, I have a similar question, but its with regards to my flex rotary. Would it be ok to use 5" backing plate with 6.5" LC flat pads? Do any of you notice strange behavior/or pads not cutting like its suppose to? I never take the buffer beyond speed 2 (1800RPM), thanks in advance everyone!
    See my answer above for "balance"

You can use an undersized backing plate for a foam pad, personal preference, I've met people that like buffing like this, it's makes the outer edgy real gushy and flexible, that can be a good thing but that outer area won't distribute pressure like the portion of the foam pad that is backed by backing plate.

If that makes sense...

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I think i misread something in the description in your "store" page. I saw a post earlier today about the PC not coming with a BP. My bad, I need to quit reading so fast but I just can't get enough of this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    but that outer area won't distribute pressure like the portion of the foam pad that is backed by backing plate.

If that makes sense...

Thanks Mike! Let me get one thing straight though, you are saying if I tilt my pads at a slight angle, then I should put a little bit of pressure on the pad?
    Thanks in advance, your input is greatly appreciated.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by CU2MIKE View Post
    Thanks Mike! Let me get one thing straight though, you are saying if I tilt my pads at a slight angle, then I should put a little bit of pressure on the pad?
    No, you should always try to buff with a foam pad flat to surface whenever possible. Of course curves, thin panels and tight areas mean buffing on just a portion of the face of pad but that's the exception, not the rule.

Post Thanks / Like

Just the info I was looking for!

Thanks a lot Mike!

btw I have a similar doubt
    I'll be getting a DeWalt DA(basically a random orbital sander)
    it comes with a 6" backing plate(attached permanently)
    (Unfortunately, this is all I can get here in my country!)

Since I'll be starting out with this polisher. What'll be the best pad size keeping in mind the safety margin(and me being new to operating a DA)? (I'm guessing 6.5"?)

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Folks

I am new here and have a BOSCH random orbital sander with a 5" backing plate. As I am not situated in US and wanted to save on freight. I had juz ordered the 6pack set of 6.5" last week thought it was recommeded size for 5" backing plate from the product page) Hopefully it will not overkill the obrital sander - resulting overheating or under power? As a new hope it is not "oversized" for me to handle.. still pending for shipment. wish me luck!

Arrhh.. should have read this thread before I proceed with my purchase.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast