autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Best Practice - Avoid buffing on top of body lines and edges

Quote Originally Posted by Omar the Terror View Post

So you can make those hard-to-reach spots match the machine-polished portions of the car, or does it sometimes leave an obvious difference between the machine and hand-polished areas?
    Sometimes all you can do is all you can do. Machines will almost alway produce a better looking finish compared to working by hand when it comes to removing defects out of clear coat paints.

As far as obvious goes, how close are you getting to the paint to look? 10 inches? 4 inches?

Is it a daily driver or a show car? By this I mean, if the A-pillar on a 4-door Ford Taurus doesn't have the same same high-gloss finish as the hood because you cleaned, polished and waxed the A-pillar by hand but you machine cleaned, polished and waxed the hood with your Griot's Polisher or your PC 7424XP, how much is that going to matter?

Now if it's a show car or an exotic like the one Asphalt Rocket buffed out here where he had to remove factory sanding marks that were right on the edge of body lines, well the expectation for a car like a Lamborgini is much higher than a 4-door Ford Taurus.

2005 Lamborghini Gallardo - Lots of scratches

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    There were several aspects that were challenging-wet sand marks all the way to all the edges,
    That's not to say you can't duplicate by hand what a machine can do on a easy to work on flat panel as you can a thin panel like an A-Pillar because you can.

Man versus Machine

Also, what applicator do you recommend for this? I have some LC CCS hand pads on the way but if there's something better, I'd love to try it out. Thanks!

I used the different available foam formulas in this hand applicator pad line and they each worked great for their specific purpose.

CCS Euro Foam Hand Polish Applicators

They're kind of large for small, thin, intricate panels so give the LC CCS hand applicator pads a try. I have one in my hand right now and these applicator pads are fairly thick with plenty of cushion and this will help spread the pressure of your fingers out for smoother cleaning action.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike. I saw that in the Man vs Machine thread, you used the CCS pads upside down. Did that work better for you, and are you not a fan of the CCS style pads? Or was it just to use both sides of the pad? Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

So you can make those hard-to-reach spots match the machine-polished portions of the car, or does it sometimes leave an obvious difference between the machine and hand-polished areas? Also, what applicator do you recommend for this? I have some LC CCS hand pads on the way but if there's something better, I'd love to try it out. Thanks!

Wolfgang German Polish N’ Wax Applicator has two sides of premium foam in one awesome applicator!

These things are great.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This is good info! I wondered why painters tape was used. So how do you clean or buff the body lines? I'm new to detailing so I apologize for my igonorance.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by paramount View Post
    This is good info! I wondered why painters tape was used. So how do you clean or buff the body lines? I'm new to detailing so I apologize for my igonorance.
    It's a great question and a common question. What you're talking about is called,

Perfectionist Detailing

While I don't have a dedicated article on this topic I've written about it a lot so for right now, I'm going to just copy and paste what I've already posted to the below thread with a similar question...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...nt-film-2.html

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastTbird View Post

Different, but related question: do you guys hand polish body lines before or after taping?

Or asked another way before or after machine polishing?

After as then you can remove any tape-line residue.

I call this, Perfectionist Detailing, that is rubbing out the thin space of paint that runs along trim that was covered by tape. I actually discuss this in in this article I wrote after first coming to Autogeek back in 2009. All the information in this article is just as accurate today as it was when I wrote it and it's a re-write of an even older article on the topic.

Step-by-Step How-To use the Porter Cable 7424XP

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Here we've taped-off the rubber gasket between the glass and the window frame and I'm pointing to show that there's about an 1/8th of an inch of paint that's not going to get buffed with either of the two polishing steps.

After the correction steps we'll remove the tape and carefully wax these areas for a uniform look that will match the polished areas next to the tape line.

While not perfectionist detailing in some eyes, remember this is a daily driver, not a show car.

You can invest more time and just run the tape down the rubber and get it close to the edge of the panel if you want or just overhang a little like I did here. It's your choice based upon what you're trying to accomplish and how much time you want to invest.

The thing about Perfectionist Detailing is that it is very time intensive. Here's the deal...

If it's your own car go for it as it's your time.

If you're detailing for money and you can get your customer's to understand the time involved to do this kind of detailing and to pay you by the hour for it... then again, go for it as it's a good gig if you can get it.

My experience is most won't want to pay for it for a daily driver and only a few will pay for it for SIV's and you still have to educate them.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I see this far too often, and it's hard trying to explain why you have to spend more time on little bits like this. When other guys will just machine over everything.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought me some of those 3" Griot's pads.
    Orange and red.
    So far they're holding up well.
    It's what I use for my bumpers,around door handles,badges, etc.
    I have the BP on my rotary, I was surprised the pads held up using it with the rotary, I did however only used 600 RPM's, all that was needed.

Great write up Mike, thanks.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by WADORYU View Post

I see this far too often, and it's hard trying to explain why you have to spend more time on little bits like this. When other guys will just machine over everything.
    I guess that's one of the things that separates the hack detailers from the pro detailers no matter what the skill level.

Since this was your first post to our forum....

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I guess that's one of the things that separates the hack detailers from the pro detailers no matter what the skill level.

Since this was your first post to our forum....

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Had to start somewhere,
    Aha cheers mike been watching your vids and facebook comments for a while. Thought I'd join up on here

Post Thanks / Like
    This is why I don't apply LSPs by machine. How do you get ALL the edges, around emblems, etc... ??? I guess you could go back and do it by hand on those areas, or you could just do the whole car by hand in one trip around. The later seems to make more sense to me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast