autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: 2008 Lexus IS 250 - Pinnacle Detail

Quote Originally Posted by trhland View Post
    mike how are you liking using pinnacle products? im glad your with a/g..
    So far so good, but I've only done one "complete" with them and then onto something new. Lots of behind the scenes projects so time is always so valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post
    I think this would be a good idea for Detail Fest 2010. A Boar's Hair Brush demo on a swirl free black car. Wash the same car several times over the weekend and leave it available for inspection.

What do you think?

Mike
    I think if you did that to any car with any material and let a multitude of different people with different skill levels and possibly nefarious intentions, you would end up with a less than perfect finish.

No matter what you use to wash a car, you still have to include the human elements of care and passion.

Quote Originally Posted by SolMan50 View Post
    Hi Mike,

Just a quick question. Did you happen to find those xenon lights locally or did you have to order them. And I mean locally, I live around the corner.

Thanks,

Loren
    I drove from Stuart to Jupiter, about 10 miles and bought the only two on the shelves for $30.00 each plus sales tax which came out to about $70.00

Completely worth it to check you work and confirm you're on the right track or show you need to modify your process.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I think if you did that to any car with any material and let a multitude of different people with different skill levels and possibly nefarious intentions, you would end up with a less than perfect finish.

No matter what you use to wash a car, you still have to include the human elements of care and passion.

I see your point, although I wasn't thinking of a hands-on demo. I was thinking more of a training demo by an AG Staff member done safely several times over the 2 days and left available for inspection.

Washing my wifes Trailblazer is a chore to me, Seeing you use the Boar's hair brush in this thread put me on the fence about buying BHB.

Mike
    Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway
    George Carlin

Mike Phillips

I see your point, although I wasn't thinking of a hands-on demo. I was thinking more of a training demo by an AG Staff member done safely several times over the 2 days and left available for inspection.

Washing my wifes Trailblazer is a chore to me, Seeing you use the Boar's hair brush in this thread put me on the fence about buying BHB.

Mike
    I think if you touch a flawless finish with anything enough times it won't get better and better...

What's the opposite of better and better?

Sooner or later though, you have to 'touch' the paint with something and that's when you have to find a tool that works best for you.

That's why in my first reply to you I said,

I think if you did that to any car with any material
    Switch out the world material out for what ever you like to use or are interested in,

Grout Sponge
    Schmidt
    Wookie
    Real Lambswool
    Synthetic Lambswool
    Microfiber
    Brushes of all kind
    Terry Cloth Towel

And so on and so on... and then look at things in EXTREMES, which is what many online enthusiasts do, (not saying you do but I always have to type for the most EXTREME AR Enthusiast),

Here's an example,

If you buff out a car and then wax it and it has a flawless finish. Now if you wash it one time with a high quality car wash, a high quality wash mitt and use PERFECT technique.

Will you remove any wax?

Note, the car wash is non-detergent and the wash mitt is very gentle and you use a gentle touch, then you dry it by blotting the water off the finish.

The answer is... how AR do you want to get? Do you want to go down to the molecular level?

Then think about it like this,

If you're not ADDING wax during the washing process.... what's the opposite of adding?

Do you see what I mean?

Everyone wants the perfect tool or product. Everyone wants a wax that lasts for ever, everyone wants a car wash that cleans without removing wax, everyone wants a way to 'touch' the paint without doing ANYTHING at all that's evasive or even remotely negative or harmful to the wax coating and these are all great ideas but they're not reality.

Part of the reason they are unreal is because clear coat finishes are hard to take care of, they tend to be harder than old fashioned single stage paints yet they scratch very easily.

So when interacting with questions on the forum I have to take into consideration that a lot of people have unreal expectations and then type out replies and articles that take this into consideration.

How about this one...

Car Sales people have been know to tell people that a car with a "Clear Coat Finish" never needs to be waxed. Especially in the 1980's when the industry started switching over to clear coat technology.

As though somehow a coating without pigment will remain swirl and scratch free solely because it has no pigment. Reality is clear paint is still paint and it will go downhill just like pigmented paint and if the car is a daily driver then it MUST be maintained and that means doing something to it on a regular basis.

Sad thing is a lot of people believe this but if it were true than all cars would look great forever but a casual walk through any parking lot will show that this just isn't true. You need to take care of a clear coat finish just like any other paint.

So your idea for a test is setting everyone up to be let down not because a Boar's Hair Car Wash Brush is a bad tool, but because the expectation that you can wash a clear coat paint forever without ever causing the quality of the finish to diminish is unreal.

Make sense?

Sooner or later you have to 'touch' the paint, and by this I mean you have wash it, wipe it, clay it, clean it, polish and wax it and the best you can do is use high quality products with good technique and while this will go a long way towards maintaining a show room new finish, fact is clear coats scratch easily, even if you are careful.

Of course there is the option of creating a flawless finish on a car then parking it in a garage, cover it with a soft car cover and then closing the garage door and leaving it there un-driven. That's one way to make sure nothing bad ever happens to the paint but it kind of takes the fun out of driving the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

Make sense?

Yes it does. Thank you for very detailed explanation.

Mike
    Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway
    George Carlin

Mike Phillips

Yes it does. Thank you for very detailed explanation.

Mike
    Thanks for taking it in the spirit it was intended.

I would prefer just to answer questions with real simple answers but often times I'll write out answers for hundreds of other people, (Lurkers and Members), and do my best to explain things in the most detailed way so that everything is explained and no one can twist my words, (defensive writing), as that is the nature of a handful of people on these forums.

I've been posting to this thing we call the "Internet" since at least 1994, I know how to start a flame war, how to get out of one and how to avoid one, and it's taught me to type as much as I can so there's a little something for everyone...

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent post Mike.

I have been detailing vehicles for years and consider myself a proficient detailer, but I always enjoy reading your How-To threads because I am always able to pick up a little tip here or a little trick there.
    What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about???

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 67Customs View Post
    Excellent post Mike.

I have been detailing vehicles for years and consider myself a proficient detailer, but I always enjoy reading your How-To threads because I am always able to pick up a little tip here or a little trick there.

Hi 67Customs,

Just found your post here a few years late... thanks for the kind words...

Like you, I appreciate a good how-to thread because I'm always looking to pick new ideas from others.

Also, be sure to check this thread out...

Roll Call - What's your real first name?

Mike Phillips

Re: Step-by-Step How-To Article using Pinnacle Products with the new PC 7424XP

***Bump***

If you're new to machine polishing read through this article, it covers every detail of machine polishing a car leaving no topic un-touched.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great article to read. It's chuck full of informative tips and information for both the beginner and pro alike!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    This is a great article to read. It's chuck full of informative tips and information for both the beginner and pro alike!

I think the main body is over 8000 words, it's one of the first articles I wrote after leaving Meguiar's and moving to Autogeek.

Think I'll update it tomorrow with a few new videos and links.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast