autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive

How about some crow's feet? 03 Accord.

Everyone is my teacher. Some I seek. Some I subconsciously attract. Often I learn simply by observing others. Some may be completely unaware that I'm learning from them, yet I bow deeply in gratitude.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Wow! That's horrible looking!

You're picture is such a great example of what extreme clearcoat failure looks like I took the liberty of downloading it off Photobucket and placing it in our gallery so it won't turn into a missing picture in the future.

Thanks for sharing...

Mike, my pleasure. Just to let you know the car is no longer among the living. My wife ran a stop sign with it and was hit by a dump truck. Low speed crash, nobody hurt...except the car. It was totaled(I have a thread about it somewhere) and the insurance paid me about 4X what I was going to try and sell the car for this spring. So overall we made out.

But yes, the J-Body (Cavalier/Sunfire) of 1998-2005 have clear coat issues. It's more the actual product than a lack of upkeep. I kept that car polished and waxed and the clear coat still failed.

Post Thanks / Like

I snapped this picture in a parking lot. Is off a 2000 series Mustang

The Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive-cc-failure-jpg

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am in S Florida and this issue has me concerned. I have a 2008 eclipse and due to my new job I am forced to park in direct sunlight. Whats the best way to protect against this?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wpbth View Post
    I am in S Florida and this issue has me concerned. I have a 2008 eclipse and due to my new job I am forced to park in direct sunlight. Whats the best way to protect against this?
    Paint coating such as Optimum Gloss-coat.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

6. Likes Mikem3574 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike. Thought I'd add some input. See pics. Our third car (which is going to become my mother's car for the time being due to her losing her job from an ankle injury) has what I'd classify as fairly extreme cc failure. I 1) wanted others to see pictures (esp on a white car, which is sometimes harder to notice) and 2) wanted to gain some advice. I would like to try to remove the old clear coat (and some base coat if necessary). Basically, I want to prep the car for a repaint (I will either try to do rustoleum white, or maybe get the car painted). Any advice on what I should do going forwards? I haven't even washed the car for fear of pieces of flaked cc getting into my sponges and marring my black rav4s cc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive-img_6580-jpg   The Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive-img_6581-jpg   The Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive-img_6582-jpg   The Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive-img_6583-jpg   The Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive-img_6584-jpg   The Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive-img_6586-jpg   The Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive-img_6588-jpg   The Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive-img_6587-jpg   The Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive-img_6589-jpg   The Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive-img_6590-jpg  

The Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive-img_6591-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Well, long story short, I wet sanded with 800 then 2000 grit paper, blending the edges where the cc was failing. I then sprayed on about 4 coats of white color-matched paint and then 4 of clear. Used M105 to follow. Was going for a "do-it-all-in-one-day" approach, rather than a "show-car approach". Luckily, left side of car was not peeling, so I just compounded. It may peel eventually, but am going for a temporary solution as this will likely only be a main vehicle temporarily. I am waiting 48 hours for paint to cure, and then I will hit it with more m105, and possibly m205 if I have time. I then plan on either a) using pinnacle black label kit to seal, or b) using rejex to seal. Haven't decided yet. Will upload pics once car is done!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wpbth View Post
    A car cover. While a car cover can induce some swirling, it is the best protection available for prolonged sun exposure.

When I was in your predicament I would use a California Car Duster to remove any loose dust/dirt and then install the car cover.

My rational is that any swirling from the duster or the cover is less detrimental to the paint (and also the interior) in the big picture than sitting in the sun all day, everyday.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by pointillistic_practitioner View Post

Was going for a "do-it-all-in-one-day" approach, rather than a "show-car approach".

And that would be my approach.

Keep it real-world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Wow! That's horrible looking!

You're picture is such a great example of what extreme clearcoat failure looks like I took the liberty of downloading it off Photobucket and placing it in our gallery so it won't turn into a missing picture in the future.

Thanks for sharing...

I live in the Las Vegas desert and Im forced to park my black truck outside due to the fact that it wont fit in the garage. What products do you recommend for maximum UV protection?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast