autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Recommendations for new car products

Hello I just picked up a new car and I am looking for recommendations on what I should get to maintain it. I am not confused as to wax, sealer and polisher.. I am pretty happy with the way the car looks after a hand wash.. I wash and dry car with towels. Do I need a wax sealer, polisher sea tailed or what you recommend? Car is kept outside majority of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recommendations for new car products

You may decide how much you want to spend and take it from there.

3. Likes NightDrive43 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Start with the basics for maintaining your new vehicle. You can always add more products as needed. Autogeek offers plenty of brands to choose from.

Basics -
    Wheel & Tire Cleaner, Tire & Wheel Brushes
    Tire Dressing, Tire Applicator
    Car Wash, Buckets, Grit Guard, Wash Mitts
    Quick Detailer, Microfiber Towels
    Spray Sealant
    Trim Dressing, Applicator
    Glass Cleaner & Glass Towel
    Interior Detailer
    Drying Towels (PFM or Waffle Weave)

Also good to have on hand -
    Clay Bar or Synthetic Clay Towel & Clay Lubricant
    Iron Remover
    APC
    Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner , Carpet Brush
    Metal Polish

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of towels are you using for your washing and drying? I'd go for the softest microfiber wash mitt and microfiber drying towels you can fit in your budget.

As for a sealant product, my advise would be to go with the most durable sealant you can afford and one people recommend for water sheeting properties. You're car will be sitting outside all the time and you want the best defense against weather, birds, bugs, etc. Great water sheeting will help reduce the chances of getting water spots and shed rain snow better.

There have been lots of lively discussions here lately about sealants and there are a lot of good products on the market to meet your needs. My advice would be to spend some time reading those discussions and then just pick one in the smallest bottle you can buy. Test it out and see if you like it. From there either buy more, or try out something new. Even if you like your first choice, trying out something new after it runs out will help you gain first hand experience with different products/brands and allow you to figure out what characteristics are important to you.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Tools are more important than chemical products. Don't get hung up on what shampoo to get until you get yourself some top-quality wash pads/mitts(multiple). Same goes with brushes, you should have around half a dozen or so for various tasks from wheels/calipers to badges. Then drying towels, buy more than you need, you may(you will one day) drop one on the ground and at that point having a backup is key. I suggest 3-4 drying towels(don't forget about a microfiber wash detergent!). Buckets, grit guards, a good flexible hose and nozzle. If you want to use foaming pre-washes(which I would) you will need a foam cannon and pressure washer. If you want to take it further, get a forced air dryer like a master blaster(we are getting quite financially committed at this point, though). Once all these boxes are checked. Then starts the search for products/chemicals.... You will find no single brand out there will satisfy your wants and needs. But be careful not to get sucked into gimmicks. I.E. products that seem to stress useless points like color/scent as much as performance. There are a ton of product reviews on here most of the testing has already been done for you. Plus, there is some peace of mind knowing that there are more decent products these days than there are bad ones. Used to be the other way around it seems. Keep in mind this is just for a maintenance wash....beyond that you have protection systems, polishing, and the great beyond....how deep you trying to dive?

My tip for finding the best performing products is to steer towards the brands with simplistic, clean packaging and labels. Carpro, Gyeon, Sonax, Bilt Hamber, Etc. Brands that you don't grab because they smell good, brands that you grab time and time again because they just work good. Also keep product expiration in mind when selecting sizes of containers and bottles. If only taking care of 1-2 cars once in awhile perhaps the smaller size containers(500ml/16oz/250ml/8oz) would be best. I have reached out to multiple manufactures regarding shelf life and most fall between 3-5 years. Most.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

8. Likes Desertnate, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was more looking for your personal recommendations on Sealers and waxes.. I bought a flex, buckets, towels brushes, soap cannon etc in the past.. It's ben a few years and really have not been on the forums as much to see whats new and better. In the past I used Meguiar's compound and polish on my older car. Being that this is a new car, i don't think much is needed. The car already looks great after a wash and dry.. so I am just looking for recommendations on few things to make the paint last.. someone mentioned bird poop and water stains.. yes this is what i am trying to keep on top of. Someone told me to look into wolfgang sealer.. thoughts?

Soap:
    Sealer:
    Wax:
    Detailer:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by queens guy View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I was more looking for your personal recommendations on Sealers and waxes.. I bought a flex, buckets, towels brushes, soap cannon etc in the past.. It's ben a few years and really have not been on the forums as much to see whats new and better. In the past I used Meguiar's compound and polish on my older car. Being that this is a new car, i don't think much is needed. The car already looks great after a wash and dry.. so I am just looking for recommendations on few things to make the paint last.. someone mentioned bird poop and water stains.. yes this is what i am trying to keep on top of. Someone told me to look into wolfgang sealer.. thoughts?

Soap:
    Sealer:
    Wax:
    Detailer:
    Soap: Meg's Hyperwash.

Paint sealant: Yes, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant (WGDGPS) is a good sealant, but it really lacks in bird bomb protection, IMO.

Wax: A true carnauba wax looks incredible when freshly applied, but you are not going to get great longevity from it.

If you are not going to ceramic coat it, I would look into a hybrid such as Collinite. Longevity is measured in months not weeks, and bird bomb protection is pretty darn good. (No product can withstand every bird bomb if let to dwell on the paint, but some are way better than others at buying you some time.)

Detailer: There are SO many QD's out there, but using a rinseless wash diluted to QD ratio is much more cost effective.

Spray Wax: I will add this category. To keep up your protection, using a spray wax is easy and effective. Optimum Spray Wax and Duragloss Aqua Wax are both excellent products, and quite inexpensive.

It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

11. Likes PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Soap: Meg's Hyperwash.

Paint sealant: Yes, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant (WGDGPS) is a good sealant, but it really lacks in bird bomb protection, IMO.

Wax: A true carnauba wax looks incredible when freshly applied, but you are not going to get great longevity from it.

If you are not going to ceramic coat it, I would look into a hybrid such as Collinite. Longevity is measured in months not weeks, and bird bomb protection is pretty darn good. (No product can withstand every bird bomb if let to dwell on the paint, but some are way better than others at buying you some time.)

Detailer: There are SO many QD's out there, but using a rinseless wash diluted to QD ratio is much more cost effective.

Spray Wax: I will add this category. To keep up your protection, using a spray wax is easy and effective. Optimum Spray Wax and Duragloss Aqua Wax are both excellent products, and quite inexpensive.

so is ceramin coat the recommended way to go? if so what are some good products? do I still need to seal etc? thing is i dont have a garage and car sits outside.. at night lots of mildew so i am not sure seal will even work in my case as it will not sure in time for me to apply the wax after. Recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by queens guy View Post

Soap:
    Sealer:
    Wax:
    Detailer:
    Here is what I'd use:

Soap: Meguiar's Hyperwash or Optimum Car Wash
    Sealer: Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant (not the spray product) or Collinite 845
    Wax: Don't bother, you will already apply durable high quality paint sealant.
    Detailer: I use CarPro ECH2O on my coated vehicles and Kenotek Showroom Shine on my cars with sealants, but it doesn't appear to be available any longer. I'll defer to others, but maybe Griots Garage Showroom Shine?
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast