autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to ceramic coat Matte Flat Graphics with PBL Ceramic Matte Coating

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I don't know about other people but when I write, I choose EACH and EVERY word SPECIFICALLY and with PURPOSE. I have never written anything willy-nilly.

Thanks mike. I should have phrased my question better.when i asked if it is honestly needed.... I should have asked would a regular ceramic coating, (meaning for painted surfaces) would be appropriate for use on matte surfaces? Without needing to buy this product when i would only need it for a rear spoiler.

I understand that for every situation there is always going to be a better or more suitable product for that specific situation.

Thanks for the write up and response. Ive now recieved my typing lessons for the day How to ceramic coat Matte Flat Graphics with PBL Ceramic Matte CoatingHow to ceramic coat Matte Flat Graphics with PBL Ceramic Matte Coating

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post

Thanks mike. I should have phrased my question better. when i asked if it is honestly needed.... I should have asked would a regular ceramic coating, (meaning for painted surfaces) would be appropriate for use on matte surfaces?

Without needing to buy this product when i would only need it for a rear spoiler.

The answer is "probably not".

From my own experience using a LOT of different coating products since the first time I used a coating in 2011 - I would say "no" or "probably not".

The issue is, will the coating alter the matte appearance?

I would say 99.9% of the coatings probably won't in and of themselves make matte look clear and glossy - like polished car paint. BUT - the only way to find out is to test.

Gloss and clarity come from the properties of the material being worked on itself and of course abrading this surface to be clear and glossy. Your LSP of choice can accentuate the finish but not alter it dramatically as in turn flat matte into clear and glossy.

I'm not comfortable to say an adamant "no" but a very adamant probably not. How's that?

I understand that for every situation there is always going to be a better or more suitable product for that specific situation.
    Yup - generally speaking.

Thanks for the write up and response. Ive now received my typing lessons for the day
    Life experiences have taught me to type carefully.

3. Likes opie liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

Does this coating harden up on the applicator or does it stay flexible?

Just to follow-up, it's been 24 hours since I applied the PBL Ceramic Matte Coating to the microsuede cloth and it remained soft and pliable.

There's a sleight but noticeable change in the cloth...

But it's nothing like how a "paint" ceramic coating leaves these same types of microsuede patches of cloth stiff and feeling like cardboard.

5. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the follow up Mike.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

Thanks for the follow up Mike.

No problemo - I was curious too...

Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike, I'm curious to see how you handled the painted areas between the graphics?

Also I was wondering how you would handle ceramic coating these areas?

Could you carefully apply a ceramic coating with some type of foam tipped applicator?

Would you lay some tape down over the graphics to protect them during the coating process?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN View Post

Hey Mike, I'm curious to see how you handled the painted areas between the graphics?
    Applied right over paint - wiped everything off at same time.

Also I was wondering how you would handle ceramic coating these areas?
    Would apply as normal and wipe off entire area.

Could you carefully apply a ceramic coating with some type of foam tipped applicator?

No. Don't over-complicate something that is very easy. Apply product to area to be treated - don't worry about getting either or the 2 different types of coating on one or the other materials, (paint/vinyl), follow instructions for removal and GENTLY wipe area.

Would you lay some tape down over the graphics to protect them during the coating process?
    No. See answer above.

Great questions. Good to see you thinking through how to tackle this type of work. But don't overthink it. Don't turn something very simple into rocket science.

Moving forward, if anyone ever asks you for advice about putting graphics ON paint - recommend against it. Makes detailing these types of areas more difficult.

If anyone ever asks you for your suggestions or recommendations when getting a CUSTOM paint job. If they want graphics - tell them to spend the extra money and have the graphics PAINTED ON under the clear. Sames time and trouble. Worth it.

Yes - I have an article on this topic. Dates back to 2013

Have graphics painted under the clearcoat - The best of all worlds

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12