autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

How-to use PBL Tire Clear Coat

How-to use PBL Tire Clear Coat

I've written a number of articles about tire coatings and how they're different than tire dressings. My own personal preference is for coatings, simply because they last longer and are a cleaner way to create that deep, dark black shine because they dry to the touch. Most dressings stay wet on the surface. Even if you wipe the tire sidewall and remove any excess tire dressing, the surface is still a wet surface, not a dry surface like plastic.

Recently I taught a number of classes at the 2021 Southern Detailer's Conference, here's the list of classes,

Detailing Classes at Southern Detailing Conference - Lexington, Kentucky

One of them was a class on machine scrubbing tires and then installing a tire coating. Here's a few pictures from that class,

Machine scrubbing...

Rinsing with the IK sprayer...

Applying the tire coating...

So for the class we only had time to clean and coat one tire. So this week I finished the remaining 3 tires.

Below are a few pictures with some descriptions to share what to do.

2. Thanks Me Time thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: How-to use PBL Tire Clear Coat

More...

The most important thing is to get the tires clean. For this my favorite method is to machine scrub using the CORDLESS FLEX PE14 and this way I won't get shocked.

Now this is SCRUBBED!

Here's the tires surgically clean. I machine cleaned and rinsed them at least 3-4 times, so these tires sidewalls are CLEAN!

I like to blow any residual water out of the tire bead and also out of the lettering. The MetroVac Sidekick works great for this.

Applying the PBL Tire Clear Coat

I'm going to apply 6 layers of the coating back-to-back. In-between each layer I'll speed dry the coating using the Sidekick.

I think the first coat is the most important. You want to do a great job of massaging the coating INTO the rubber as well as over it.

Here I am blasting the tire sidewall to speed dry it.

More coats...

The first tire is done. You can really see the difference with it next to the other tire that has nothing on it.

Something I forgot to share with the first tire, after machine scrubbing and rinsing, before I apply any tire coating, I use a Panel Wipe to do an extra cleaning wipe of the tire sidewall. In this case I'm using the BLACKFIRE Paint Prep but any brand name panel wipe should work.

Then I re-dry the tire to make sure it's 100% dry.

This is not clean... it's SUPA CLEAN!

Next I'll apply 6 coats of the PBL Tire Clear Coat, one after another but speed drying each coat with the Sidekick.

Here's the final results...

Now it's time to take them back to Royce and tell him thank you for letting Autogeek borrow his wheels and tires for the class at SDC and also this article.

On Autogeek.com

Pinnacle Black Label Tire Clear Coat - $35.00

Pinnacle Black Label Gel Tire Cleaner 8 oz. - $25.00

Metro Blaster SideKick - Now With 12 Foot Cord! - $105.00

I haven't really found the best applicator for this tire coating yet. Here's the one that's matched to it on the Autogeek store and it does work well.

Speed Master Tire Dressing Applicator - $4.00

The machine that makes scrubbing anything easy and safe around water

FLEX PE-150 Cordless Rotary Polisher - $600.00 includes two 5amp batteries and the charger

Heavy-Duty DA Carpet Brush – Long Bristles - $18.00

Rotary Backing Plates for the Heavy Duty DA Brush

If you're going to get into machine scrubbing with a cordless FLEX PE14 Rotary Polisher, (you'll never look back), then besides the FLEX cordless rotary polisher you'll also need the above brush and one of the below backing plates that fit the brush.

Rigid/Hard Backing Plates

Rotary 4 ¾ inch Flexible Backing Plate - $17.00

Buff and Shine 5-Inch Rotary Backing Plate - $15.00

Flexible thicker backing plates - (my preference)

Buff and Shine 5-inch Rotary Xtra Soft Backing Plate - $15.00

Flex-Foam HD Rotary Backing Plate, 5 inches - $20.00

Hope that helps...

4. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice article. It is a lot of work, maybe less when you do it with a machine like you did.

I did 3 sets of tires in the past and tire coatings aren’t for me. Way too much work for how long it lasted.

If it actually lasted 6 months maybe I’d reconsider but it doesn’t last near that long. With the coating I used, which isn’t for sale at AG anymore, it didn’t even last 6 weeks.
    Bruno Soares

Mike Phillips

More...

Before and After

Before and After

Before and After

And as long as you treat the tires nice, by this I mean simply wash with a normal pH balanced car shampoo, these result can last up to a year. If they start to loose their crisp look, simple clean well and add a fresh coat of the Tire Clear Coat. Once you have the initial build-up, maintenance can be done with just one or two application.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Soares View Post

Nice article. It is a lot of work, maybe less when you do it with a machine like you did.
    Yeah... the key with tire coatings is the prep steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Soares View Post

I did 3 sets of tires in the past and tire coatings aren’t for me. Way too much work for how long it lasted.

If it actually lasted 6 months maybe I’d reconsider but it doesn’t last near that long. With the coating I used, which isn’t for sale at AG anymore, it didn’t even last 6 weeks.

I feel your paint...

I had Tuf Shine on 40" tall Toyo tires on my last Silverado and with careful washing, it lasted at least a year and then I cleaned and added a few more coats and back to perfect.

8. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel it is a lot of work but the coatings last (Tuf Shine and now PBL Tire Coating). I think the last time I only used 2 layers but next time I’ll put more as Mike just showed.

One comment I wanted to make is that the tires looked too glossy initially but calm down over the next couple days and look great. I’m easily getting 4 months and really could go longer but I usually redo them every 4-6 months.

For me, water-based dressings only last a week or two (when it rains) so those are a no-go for me. Tires look so much better over time with a tire coating. And I feel the overall work over time is less with tire coatings.

10. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post

I feel it is a lot of work but the coatings last (Tuf Shine and now PBL Tire Coating). I think the last time I only used 2 layers but next time I’ll put more as Mike just showed.

I think originally, the concept was a tire coating that you only needed to apply one coat and it dries really fast. This would make it quick, fast and easy.

Before I coated these cars and before I wrote this article, I double checked the story copy to make sure I was following directions.

Pinnacle Black Label Tire Clear Coat

You can even get the perfect level of gloss to fit your preferences!

Just keep applying layers of Pinnacle Black Label Tire Clear Coat until you get the shine that you desire!

In the past I've only applied 2 coats. But for this write-up, after confirming the directions, I chose to really go for it and see just how black and shiny I could get these tires. I normally apply 6 coats of Tuf Shine when I use it so I chose to also try 6 coats of PBL Tire Clear Coat for these tires.

Here's the deal, for the first coat or two, you don't see it. You don't see the dramatic change from dull, matte looking rubber to something that looks like shiny black plastic. But after the 3rd and 4th coat, the change takes place.

The key to me is using the Sidekick to not only speed dry the coating you just applied, but to also blow or push-out any "piles" of product that can build-up around lettering.

One comment I wanted to make is that the tires looked too glossy initially but calm down over the next couple days and look great. I’m easily getting 4 months and really could go longer but I usually redo them every 4-6 months.
    That's a good point, thank you for adding.

For me, water-based dressings only last a week or two (when it rains) so those are a no-go for me.
    Agree. I'm a huge fan of water based tire dressings for a couple of reason, the most important is because I can easily remove it so I can then replace it to give tires that "fresh look". But for the same reason I can easily remove it - these types don't last long. I'm okay with it for my own tires but for customer? Doesn't work. It's really hard to educate the masses on the benefits of a tire dressing that doesn't last. It's kind of like water beading. Everyone loves the way water beading looks on their car's paint. What they forget is how much they hate water spots IN the paint caused by water beading.

I've recently accepted the fact that it's too hard to educate the masses about water based tire dressings and for this reason, IF I am going to use a dressing, then my new go-to is Meguiar's Endurance Aerosol. Meguiar's formulated this stuff to last and last through multiple washings and rainy weather. There's probably as-good and even-better dressings of this type but as a part of keeping things simple, I just go with the Megs. And when I apply it, I MACHINE clean the tires first and the MACHINE apply the dressing. And this is key - after application wipe off the excess with a scrap towel. This not only prevents sling, (everyone hates tire dressing sling), but it also mattes down the shine BUT still leaves the tires looking really black and it lasts a good long time.

Tires look so much better over time with a tire coating. And I feel the overall work over time is less with tire coatings.

A few years ago I detailed a 1971 Corvette, (original paint), and then coated the tires. The owner told me this,

Mike,

After I left with my car I stopped at RaceTrac to get gas. A number of young men walked over to my car and instead of saying,

Wow! Cool car!

they said,

Wow! What kind of tire dressing it that?

The were totally impressed with the way the tires looked.

Here's the tires, and here's another cool benefit to tire coatings - no greasy, slimy or oily mess.

The resulting finish is dry to the touch.

Here's the car,

Not a bad shine for original paint from 1971.

Tire coatings - they're not for every tire or for every person, but when they're right... they're right.

Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

How much would you charge for a service like this? I'm thinking $149.99

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN View Post

How much would you charge for a service like this? I'm thinking $149.99
    For the Corvette, I charged $200.00

14. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, given the amount of work involved, $200.00 is a deal.

Great job.

16. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast