autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Perforated Leather - How to clean, condition and protect - 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550 Coupe

Perforated Leather - How to clean, condition and protect - 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550 Coupe

I don't do a lot of interior work mostly because it's not my passion or my focus. But if a customer asks, and I don't have to wear a Hazmat Suit, then I'll do it.

This is a 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550 Coupe just shipped to Autogeek from Texas for my buddy Joe. Some of you may remember another car I detailed for Joe.

Most of the interior is still in mint condition but the front two seats and mainly the driver's seat and everything the driver would touch, steering wheel, center console, door panel, arm rest, paddle shifters, etc. were brownish with skin oil and grime. Eeww.....

The thing that really stands out in this interior is the massive perforation in all the seat surfaces.

For leather interiors I use the PBL Trio and the results are always phenomenal and consistent. The key technique for working with MAJOR perforated surfaces like you see here is to apply whatever product you're going to use to a towel or an applicator and then distribute it and work it into the towel or applicator. This way you don't load all the holes up with product.

Step-by-Step - How to clean, condition and protect perforated leather

Step 1: Start by wetting a clean microfiber towel with the Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner.

Then rub down all the perforated and also non-perforated or flat surfaces. Add more cleaner as you go and remember you can use the other side. For really dirty interiors, switch to a fresh towel.

Step 2: Apply the conditioner to a clean microfiber applicator pad and work the product INTO the applicator.

This applicator is dampened with conditioner. As you press it against the perforated leather, it releases small amounts of the conditioner that you then massage over the perforated and also non-perforated or flat surfaces. Apply more conditioner and repeat pressing it into the applicator with your hand as you work around the inside of the car.

Using a clean, microfiber towel, wipe the surface to remove any excess.

Step 3: Apply the Leather & Vinyl Coating

Spray the product directly onto a clean, microfiber applicator pad.

Massage the product into the microfiber...

Then apply to all the perforated leather surfaces and also non-perforated or flat surfaces.

The leather and vinyl coating will leave a shiny surface behind - don't worry....

Simply wipe the surface with a fresh, clean microfiber towel to remove any excess....

This is how the leather should look when you're all done. Cleaned, conditioned and protected.

No greasy or oily feel...

Here's the final results...

The PBL Interior Trio

Review

The PBL Trio is a really nice combination of products for leather and also vinyl interiors. Normally, if a product is safe enough for leather it's safe enough for vinyl. So the cleaner and the coating work for both. I don't believe you need to use the leather conditioner on vinyl surfaces but it won't hurt anything. Leather interiors as well as vinyl interiors need regular cleaning and protecting to maintain their factory new look and feel. Any place your skin touches, over time these surfaces get grimy. Keep this in mind when cleaning an interior and pay extra attention to areas of high skin contact.

The cleaner really works well. If there's any dirt or grim build-up you'll see it come off the leather and onto your towel. You'll also see a visual difference for the surface you've cleaned. The conditioner is like a rich hand lotion and smells like leather. It gives the entire car a light but noticeable leather scent but don't worry, it doesn't last long. The coating is one of my favorite products. It leaves a tick of a slippery feel to the leather after application but after you get in and out of the car a few times this slippery feel wears off.

I use the PBL Interior Trio on my own cars with leather interiors and because I use these products regularly, the interiors in our cars always look fresh and clean. This is the real secret to maintaining a leather or any type of interior and that is to find quality products you like and then use them on regular schedule. Especially for the high-wear surfaces like the driver's side of the vehicle.

There's no such thing as one-and-done when it comes to your car's interior. Just like the outside of the car you need to stay on top of it to keep it clean and looking new. Not only does this make driving your car much more enjoyable, it helps to retain the resale or trade-in value.

If you don't have a collection of products already for taking care of your car's leather interior, check out the Pinnacle Black Label Trio or PBL Trio. These are top shelf products that won't disappoint. Using the techniques I shared above makes getting professional results easy enough that anyone can do it.

On Autogeek.com

Pinnacle Black Label Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner

Pinnacle Black Label Hide-Soft Leather Conditioner

Pinnacle Black Label Leather & Vinyl Coating

Cobra Microfiber Applicator Pads

The Rag Company FTW Premium Twisted Loop Microfiber Towel - 3 Pack

2. Likes Bruno Soares, bob m liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Perforated Leather - How to clean, condition and protect - 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550 Coupe

Did you put on the carpet protectors?

Mike Phillips

Re: Perforated Leather - How to clean, condition and protect - 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post

Did you put on the carpet protectors?
    Factory original I believe.

I did remove the carpets and machine scrub 3 of them. They're drip drying and air-blow drying.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Beautiful work!

I tell everyone when I am detailing a ride I DO NOT DO INTERIORS!

Pardon me, but could you please pass the Grey Poupon?.....

LOL

KEEP ON ROCKING!

CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post

Wow Beautiful work!

Thanks. While I'm not passionate about doing this type of work it is rewarding after the job is all done.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good, Mike. I have this PBL coating and have used it on all interior surfaces of my Mazda - after proper cleaning...of course. My seats are leather, or at least some parts are and as do most cars today has a factory applied coating. The PBL V&L Coating leaves a nice finish when wiped off, just adding to a very slight deepening of the color. Dust doesn't seem to collect as easy.

IMHO not at all pricey when you consider the benefits.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike. Great tutorial. How long do you wait between the conditioning and coating steps? Anything special there? Thanks.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post

Thanks Mike. Great tutorial.

How long do you wait between the conditioning and coating steps?

Anything special there?

Thanks.

No waiting, just do a great job for each step including wiping off residues. Then,

Boom Boom Boom - plow through it.

Good question, thank you for asking.

10. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for this information. KEEP ON ROCKING!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    No waiting, just do a great job for each step including wiping off residues. Then,

Boom Boom Boom - plow through it.

Good question, thank you for asking.

Thanks Mike...now I need the conditioner to go with the coating.