autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: The FLEX BEAST, Supa BEAST & CBEAST - 8mm Gear-Driven Orbital Polishers

Quote Originally Posted by jas02ta View Post
    Hello Mike,

Would the cordless Makita gear driven polisher have more correcting power than the cbeast?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Cordless Makita “what”?

To date, all the other cordless tools I’ve tested work good but their battery technology bites compared to FLEX.

They’re all cheaper too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Cordless Makita “what”?

To date, all the other cordless tools I’ve tested work good but their battery technology bites compared to FLEX.

They’re all cheaper too.

Oh, sorry. It’s the cordless version of the Makita PO5000c which is the XOPO2Z. Makita wants $589 for their kit which comes with 2 5.0 batteries. Only reason I’m inquiring as that I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on the Supa BEAST but would prefer to have the cordless cBEAST. However, the correcting power of the cBEAST is lower than the Supa BEAST, so i was curious to know if the cordless Makita gear driven orbital was more powerful than the Cbeast. Thanks again Mike.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by jas02ta View Post

Oh, sorry. It’s the cordless version of the Makita PO5000c which is the XOPO2Z. Makita wants $589 for their kit which comes with 2 5.0 batteries. Only reason I’m inquiring as that I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on the Supa BEAST but would prefer to have the cordless cBEAST. However, the correcting power of the cBEAST is lower than the Supa BEAST, so i was curious to know if the cordless Makita gear driven orbital was more powerful than the Cbeast. Thanks again Mike.

I'm going to share my honest opinion.

First - I have not used the cordless Makita PO5000C. The biggest weak point for most battery technology is

1. Run time
    2. Recharge time
    3. Cycle life

FLEX beats everyone in all three categories and they are all important. When I tested the DeWALT batteries in their new cordless tool, they didn't run long and took way too long to recharge. I told management that in my opinion Autogeek should not bring these tools in because it would tie up customer care processing returns from unsatisfied customers. Just my opinion based on using the tools.

And again - I have not used the Makita so I don't have a real-world opinion on the 3 battery criteria I listed above.

If you want POWER and SPEED - go with the Supa BEAST. It's my tool of choice. I only use the CBEAST if the paint is in good shape and only needs light correction. For example after I make this reply, I'm going out to the garage to buff out a 2001 Corvette in great condition but with some coating high spots. I'm going to use the CBEAST with RUPES white CP pads and 3D One. Then coat it.

If the Corvette had any level of swirls - then I would use the Supa BEAST simply to POWER through it in the least amount of time. FLEX cordless is very good but at this time a corded FLEX in fact has the most power and speed.

Also - after using the Mille and the Makita - both are 5mm gear-driven orbital and the FLEX BEASTS, which are 8mm gear-driven. I MUCH prefer the 8mm tool. I know RUPES is very good at explaining ON PAPER how thier 5mm trumps 8mm but that's simply not my hands-on experience. If it were so - I would grab one of the 7 Milles or one of the 5 Makitas in the garage and use them - but I don't. It's not a "brand" thing or a "fanboy" thing, it's a performance thing.

Hope the above helps...

Post Thanks / Like

And as a counterpoint to what Mike just wrote, there are also several detailers that use the CBeast for production work. Mike P. works at maximum speed with his tools trying to get done as fast as possible. So if your goal is to get done as fast as possible AND you use your tools at full speed then the SupaBeast is your best choice. If your answer is not necessarily then the CBeast can be a production tool for minor to medium corrections and you'll get the added benefit of not having to deal with a cord. Speaking to Mike's point about battery technology, the batteries are good enough that with a pair, the second battery can fully charge while you're using the first, which gives about 40 min of runtime according to Mike's testing.

5. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    And as a counterpoint to what Mike just wrote, there are also several detailers that use the CBeast for production work. Mike P. works at maximum speed with his tools trying to get done as fast as possible. So if your goal is to get done as fast as possible AND you use your tools at full speed then the SupaBeast is your best choice. If your answer is not necessarily then the CBeast can be a production tool for minor to medium corrections and you'll get the added benefit of not having to deal with a cord. Speaking to Mike's point about battery technology, the batteries are good enough that with a pair, the second battery can fully charge while you're using the first, which gives about 40 min of runtime according to Mike's testing.

Thanks for adding this... and it is true, I am very purpose driven when I detail a car.

For what it's worth, I just put the RUPES coarse wool polishing pad on a CBEAST and removed all the RIDS on a 2001 C5 Corvette (known hard paint)

Love it.

7 inch RUPES Coarse Wool Polishing Pad

I have to shoot a video right now but as soon as it's over I'm testing the RUPES white 7" CP pad and if this removes all the light swirling on this Vette then I'm continuing with the CBEAST for the reasons you stated. I want to work fast but the CONVENIENCE of no cord for light correction work is a dream come true.

Will share a pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    Thanks for the insight. That’s my dilema. All my tools are cordless and I’d like to continue the trend and not deal with cords. I’m not necessarily looking for the fastest speed since I’m detailing family/friends vehicles, but I do need the tool to remove swirled out vehicles. I own a black car and there are swirls everywhere. 10 years worth.

Mike Phillips

Here’s Vette

That’s a RUPES 7” white CP foam pad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice job Mike and is that original paint on the Vette? That is really really RED!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Thanks for adding this... and it is true, I am very purpose driven when I detail a car.

For what it's worth, I just put the RUPES coarse wool polishing pad on a CBEAST and removed all the RIDS on a 2001 C5 Corvette (known hard paint)

Love it.

7 inch RUPES Coarse Wool Polishing Pad

I have to shoot a video right now but as soon as it's over I'm testing the RUPES white 7" CP pad and if this removes all the light swirling on this Vette then I'm continuing with the CBEAST for the reasons you stated. I want to work fast but the CONVENIENCE of no cord for light correction work is a dream come true.

Will share a pictures.

Thanks Mike. That’s great news about the cBEAST working well on the hard paint. If time is not of the essence “per say”,since I’ll be doing family/friends vehicles could the cBEAST still remove heavy swirl marks or even oxidized paint? I have a black is250 with 10 years worth of swirls. I’m really hoping the cBEAST could be my main go to tool. Out of curiosity, if it can do the heavy swirls, is it costing me approximately an extra 1/2 hr in time compared to the Supa BEAST? Sorry that I keep dragging my decision out.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post

Nice job Mike and is that original paint on the Vette? That is really really RED!

Yes.

There's some high spots from when it was coated. So I'm removing the ceramic coating by buffing out the entire car and then replacing it.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast