autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The FLEX BEAST, Supa BEAST & CBEAST - 8mm Gear-Driven Orbital Polishers

Thanks for the "edging" tip, Doc!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The FLEX BEAST, Supa BEAST & CBEAST - 8mm Gear-Driven Orbital Polishers

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Anyone watch?

Comments?

Good, Bad? Ugly?

The FLEX BEAST,  Supa BEAST & CBEAST - 8mm Gear-Driven Orbital Polishers
    Very informative.
    Your assistant’s interruptions disrupts the flow of your demonstration.
    My honest feedback.

I ordered one yesterday, but it turns out I bought the FLEX 15mm battery operated polisher. It’s already been shipped.

Oops.

That’s what I get for placing an order at five in the morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Oops

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

4. Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The FLEX BEAST, Supa BEAST & CBEAST - 8mm Gear-Driven Orbital Polishers

Yeah. seriously. Might keep it, though.
    I could practice on some fleet vehicles out in the parking lot at work. Or actually do some mobile detail jobs.

Got it for 25% off at least.
    I read the fine print, I don’t think AG covers return shipping on items bought in error.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post

Cool video! I enjoy watching these with a bowl of popcorn!

I myself love the Beast and the CBeast. I couldn’t be without a forced rotation DA machine.
    Once you start doing paint correction with a gear-driven orbital - it's hard to go back to free spinning tools simply due the wasted time from pad stalling.

Soon will be adding the Supa Beast to my Flex family.
    My first tool of choice.

Try it with the new RUPES CP foam pads - true synchronicity.

I’m glad you mentioned the backing plate is a wear item. A good way to tell is when edging, if the pad starts walking off the center of the backing plate. Then it’s time.
    Correct.

And It's VITAL to have the best possible hook and loop attachment when edging with any orbital because it's possible for the pad to go flying off and if you're not AWAKE the backing plate (now with out a pad), can grind into the paint.

Ouch.

For those that don't do edging with either the BEAST or the Supa BEAST - if you're pad does start to walk-off or move-off center besides noticing the "feel" of the orbit stroke getting LARGER - if you pay attention you will also here this sound,

WOMP WOMP WOMP...

That's the sound of the pad moving around on the backing plate - basically creeping off the backing plate and if you don't catch it - it will fly off.

Edging is not for the newbie or faint of heart. If you're not sure what edging is, there's multiple techniques called edging, but in the context of what Jim and I are talking about - it's this version of edging.

From post #2 here,

If you spend enough time behind any tool you can make it dance on paint -Mike Phillips

Edging with the FLEX 3401 at one of our detailing classes

How to use the Flex 3401 to remove swirls & water spots

Buffing a tight area UP ON EDGE using a RUPES BigFoot 21

Custom Paint Job - 1980 Corvette - RUPES & Gyeon - Extreme Show Car Makeover at Autogeek

Buffing on edge with the RUPES BigFoot 21 Mark II

I cover this technique on page 64 of my RUPES how-to book.

You would also be surprised at the adhesion strength from a worn backing plate compared to a new one.

For anyone using these machines heavily, I highly suggest keeping a spare backing plate in stock.

Wise recommendation. And here's the link to get your spare.

Spare Backing Plate for the FLEX BEAST

And here's the link to get a spare backing plate for the Supa BEAST - NOTE: These are VERY DIFFERENT backing plates and are not interchangeable from BEAST to Supa BEAST

Supa BEAST 6" Backing Plate

Also note - The Autogeek store pages lists the replacement backing plate for the Supa BEAST as a replacement backing plate for the FLEX XFE 7-15 aka The FINISHER. While this is correct, it's ALSO the replacement backing plate for the FLEX XCE 10-8 125 Corded Polisher aka The Supa BEAST.

Apologies for the nomenclature confusion.

Mike Phillips

Anyone watch?

Comments?

Good, Bad? Ugly?

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Encinitas View Post

Very informative.
    Thank you. That's what we aim for.

Your assistant’s interruptions disrupts the flow of your demonstration.
    My honest feedback.
    Thank you for your feedback - duly noted.

I ordered one yesterday, but it turns out I bought the FLEX 15mm battery operated polisher. It’s already been shipped.

Oops.

That’s what I get for placing an order at five in the morning.

How's that saying go?

Nothing good happens after midnight?

I could be, nothing good happens after 10:00pm? I forget. But yeah, shopping online at O 'Dark Thirty

Yeah. seriously. Might keep it, though.

I could practice on some fleet vehicles out in the parking lot at work. Or actually do some mobile detail jobs.

Got it for 25% off at least.
    I read the fine print, I don’t think AG covers return shipping on items bought in error.

I don't know much about the sales/shipping/returns aspect - I can hardly keep up with the how-to aspect of my job. Customer Could answer your question though.

As far as the FLEX Finisher goes - it's exactly what it's name states - it's for FINISHING work. It's not the heavy duty, severely neglected major paint correction buffer - that's the BEAST.

In my classes, I notice different types of people gravitate towards different types of tools. Here's a very good example.

This is Rick, he took my Texas Roadshow Class the summer of 2019

After taking this 2-day very intesne class (the class detailed 10 cars in 2 days in seering heat - I was physically wounded from this class), and thus after using all the tools I teach, which are also 98% of the tools talked about online, Rich chose the FLEX Cordless Finisher.

Then after the class proceeded to buff out his own old 2-door Pontiac.

Quote Originally Posted by 69385vette View Post
    Using the techniques taught by Mike in our class, I have detailed my 1967 GTO.

Now that I have experience with a wide range of products, I can purchase with confidence. The result was terrific. Many thanks to Mike for this class.

As Mike can attest, my GTO was covered with swirls and holograms. Mike said it was typical of what a body shop turns out.

I purchased the Flex XFE15 150 Cordless Orbital polisher (The Finisher)and used this process:

1. Washed using Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine
    2. Clayed
    3. Compounded with Sonax CutMax using Uro_Tech 7" Maroon Pads
    4. Polished with Sonax Perfect Finish using Lake Country 6.5" White Pads
    5. Surface cleaned with Black Fire Paint Prep.
    6. Applied Pinnacle Souveran Past Wax

I thought the GTO looked great before, now it absolutely awesome! The results are impressive! (at least to me)

-Rick

Then incredibly, shared this old 2-door Chevy he detailed using the FLEX Finisher

Quote Originally Posted by 69385vette View Post

My First Detail Job Other than my own cars! ( Long Post)

So... short story.

I was attending a local monthly Show and Shine event and saw a really pretty 1967 Vette. As I got closer (nice sunny day BTW) I was stunned by the MAJOR holograms. As I walked around the Vette and looked at the hood... WOW Serious wool swirls! The swirls we so bad they actually obscured the paint.

I asked the owner to stand by me so he could see the swirls. He was amazed and had not see the car like that in the sun. I told him that was what you get from a typical paint shop. The owner said the car was painted a month ago.

It could be such a beautiful car... I told him I could buff all that away if he was interested. After some discussion, we agreed on a price.

So he brought to Vette over this morning and using the techniques I learned in Mike's 2 day detailing class,

I decontaminated, foam washed, compounded and polished the Vette. The entire process took about 8 hours.

The result was stunning... it was like a different car.

The owner was beyond pleased with the result. I do this as a hobby, but I couldn't stand to see that Vette left in this condition. I was so very proud of the result, the "Reveal in the Sunshine" made all the work worthwhile. You can actually see the clouds perfectly in the hood.

The Vette is getting paint protection film next week and will be back for ceramic coating to complete the job.

1. Sonax compound and polish
    2. Flex Finisher (Battery Powered)
    3. Combination of Maroon Uro-Tech (Compound) and
    4. White Lake Country pads (Polish)

This was really fun
    Rick
    Austin, TX

I would say the primary difference between Rick's style of detailing and my style of detailing is I want to use a Freight Train to PLOW through a detail job and Rick is not in as much of a hurry.

The key to great results with the FLEX Finisher is to first understand it's abilities and also its limitations. Besides that the normal stuff,

1. Use the right pad for the job.
    2. Use great abrasive technology
    3. Mark the side of the backing plate and the padS to make it easy for your eyes to monitor pad rotation
    4. Put your phone away and get to buffing

8. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This thread touches on a lot that I am experiencing right now.

My BEAST backing plate arrives today, the old one was starting to lose its hold on the pads.

My Supa BEAST and pixie are in that package along with other goodies now that the dealer has finalized our in house detailing agreement. I’m getting murdered in the labor but hopefully we can change that when they start seeing the finished products and see the profitability it will bring.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JT Moto View Post

I’m getting murdered in the labor but hopefully we can change that when they start seeing the finished products and see the profitability it will bring.

I'm hoping you'll see and your managers will see the decrease in time spent machine polishing (due to zero pad stalling) with super high quality results.

What are you using for the paint correction step with these polishers?

Also - what pads?

Keep us updated please.

11. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping you'll see and your managers will see the decrease in time spent machine polishing (due to zero pad stalling) with super high quality results.

What are you using for the paint correction step with these polishers?

Also - what pads?

Keep us updated please.

They don’t understand paint correction at all. Our current Detailer has them convinced that wool pads on a rotary with sealant is what’s right!

I’ll be taking over our in house rental details. These are new cars that are rented out for 3k miles so I’ve been doing clay bar, BF one step with white or orange hybrid pads with my BEAST.

If they require more correction I have a host of Sonax compounds and polishes as well as BLACKFIRE compound and polish. Currently I’m using LC hybrid pads exclusively.

I’m trying to take baby steps with these guys, I’ve managed the delivery dept. for a dozen years and aside from the occasional salesman begging for them to pay me to correct a car here and there, this is the first real shot I have gotten to start putting out a solid product.

My plan is for our rental cars to look so good that the sales guys prefer to sell them over a new car because honestly, even with the occasional stone chip, the first four I completed for them do indeed look better than a new car.

We are on the main drag in Detroit so almost every car in our inventory is plagued with road grime and couple that with train tracks 75 yards away, every car we have should receive some extra love compared to most dealers.

Also thank you Mike, Autogeek, and members of this forum. Your posts are very helpful in keeping me motivated and geared up.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

13. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

so I’ve been doing

1. clay bar,
    2. BF one step with
    3. white or orange hybrid pads
    4. with my BEAST.

That is a PROVEN system for high quality results and the LEAST amount of time.

Also thank you Mike, Autogeek, and members of this forum. Your posts are very helpful in keeping me motivated and geared up.

Thanks for sharing your endeavor - I admire your passion and tenacity.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast