autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

RIDS = Random Isolated Deeper Scratches

RIDS = Random Isolated Deeper Scratches

RIDS
    Random Isolated Deeper Scratches. These type of scratches come from normal wear & tear and there is no pattern to them. RIDS are like Tracers in that they are deeper scratches that show up after the shallow scratches have first been removed through a machine or hand buffing process, usually with a compound or paint cleaner.

After the shallow swirls and scratches have been removed, any deeper scratches that remain will now show up like a Sore-Thumb to your eyes because there are no longer thousands of lighter, more shallow scratches camouflaging them.

Here's an example of RIDS

Here's the before picture. Looks very bad.

BEFORE

Here's the after pictures. While many of the shallow swirls and scratches have been removed, the deeper scratches remain and continue to stand out like a sore thumb.

AFTER

The term RIDS

I coined this term back in the early 1990's, before discussion forums existed.

Random
    The reason I used the word random is because they are random, and this is an important distinction because sometimes people confuse RIDS with other types of below surface defects, for example, sometimes people will refer to Tracers and RIDS but this isn't accurate.

Tracers are, or at least should be, scratches in the paint that are all in a straight line going in the direction a person was moving their hand when wet-sanding.

RIDS are instilled through normal, wear-n-tear from a car being used as a daily driver and as such, deeper scratches are instilled in hap-hazard, random ways, thus the choice of the word Random.

Isolated
    This just means they're usually by themselves, not a part of a group or pattern of scratches or below surface defects

Deeper
    This is kind of obvious but RIDS is about the deeper scratches that don't come out during the first and sometimes second or even third compounding or correction step because they're just too deep to be removed safely. At this point you need to learn to live with them or educate your customer that they are too deep to remove safely and they either need to learn to live with them or consider their other options, like having the affected panel or the entire car re-painted.

Scratches
    RIDS are mostly about the deeper scratches that remain after the compounding and/or polishing steps but it could also include any deeper defects that are not removed such as Type II Water Spot Etchings, Tracers, Pigtails, etc., basically anything that remains after you've made the decision you've worked a panel as much as you're going to work it and anything that hasn't bee removed is not going to be removed. (At least by you).

That's the story behind the term RIDS; I've seen people type it RDS and leave out the letter "i" but it's technically RIDS

Mike Phillips

Re: RIDS = Random Isolated Deeper Scratches

Continued....

And when doing a search via Skynet, I found this,

RIDS - The Free Dictionary

Acronym Definition

RIDS Rules in Database Systems (conference)
    RIDS Random Isolated Deep Scratch (automobile cosmetic maintenance)
    RIDS Records Inventory and Disposition Schedule
    RIDS Reaction-Induced Difference Spectroscopy
    RIDS Record Inventory Destruction Schedule
    RIDS Review Item Disposition System
    RIDS Reaction-Induced Difference Spectra

Pretty cool.

Post Thanks / Like

I still laugh every time I read the word Skynet!!!! Great info as always Mike

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post

I still laugh every time I read the word Skynet!!!!
    It's funny because... it's probably true. All good comedy is based in truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post

Great info as always Mike
    Just a small little thing but sometimes the little things are even rewarding.