autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The OCD Method of Washing Microfiber Towels

Quote Originally Posted by kingkakarot View Post
    I have a newer HE front loader washer that works wonders! It washes clothes much better than any other old washer I've used in the past. This thing literally shakes the floor so hard when its spinning that you can feel it everywhere in the house. Its a beast. Maybe they're not all so good, I don't know. But mine works fine for me and I use it to wash microfibers all the time, although I do that on a gentle cycle - maybe I should change to a heavy duty cycle???
    They all spin like crazy to remove as much water as possible and require less time in the dryer. Shaking excessively doesn’t mean it’s better, it’s just not balanced properly. Front loaders require a decent amount of weight at the bottom to keep them from shaking too much and they need to be very level or the machine will stop and give an error that indicates out of balance.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Had a front load Maytag HE combo at one time but it had issues draining moisture completely and constantly stank of mildew. Switched back to a old agitator style

I usually hang dry my MF towels (and most clothes for that matter) then lightly brush them out while hanging before folding them into storage totes with a silica gel and moth ball packet in the bottom.

Maybe I’m OCD after all . . .

Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

How to Clean Your Microfiber Towels Utilizing The OCD Method And An HE Washing Machine

Mike I think this is an awesome way to clean your microfiber towels. After reading this thread I decided to come up with a way for those of us with HE machines to clean our towels by tweaking your techniques a little.

Measure out your soap just as you described above

I must say that these squeeze bottles are genius! I love them, and it's so easy to measure out your desired level of product. This load was really small so I just used 1/2 ounce.

Then add your microfiber towels into the machine

Then after you add your towels to the machine press the start/pause button and allow the machine to sense the load

Here's where you have to cheat a little

Allow the load to sense and pay close attention because as soon as you hear the water begin to fill you need to quickly press the pause button

Then take your towels out and put them back into your clean dirty towel bucket

After this shut the lid and hit the start button and let it fill

Once again you will need to pay attention here because as soon as the washer begins to agitate you will need to...

It's all a matter of timing...

Pause the washer and when the lid unlocks lift the lid and pour your soap in

One thing I like to do is to make sure I put the lid back on the soap container immediately. This way if the bottle gets knocked over unintentionally there's no unintended mess

Now using your stir stick you keep on you all of the time, as Mike P. says, stir the soap into the water

Then add your towels to the machine again

Dunk your towels so they don't just float on the top

I like to make sure I do it a few times, just to be thorough.

Then start the washer again and let it finish the cycle

Note my settings on the washer.
    Deep wash - this means the washer will fill up with more water, flushing out contaminants and soap. If you have this option it's nice.
    Temp - Warm - Warm water cleans better than cold and it's my believe that warm over hot is less likely to cause damage to your expensive MF towels.
    Soil Level - Heavy - I want the machine to work harder so it will clean my towels better. I'm not sure if this means that it washes longer or agitates harder. If you can shed some light on this it would be much appreciated.
    Extra Rinse - I want all of the soaps to be completely flushed out so that the towel is as sterile from soaps and contaminates as possible.

After the load is finished I like to hang dry my important towels

I believe that microfiber towels are one of the most important tools in the shop, and they are expensive.

For this reason I hang dry on hangers and then AIR FLUFF for 20 minutes. This way the fibers won't become damaged and the MF towels will last much longer.

I throw my crappy interior towels in the dryer on low heat for about 30 - 40 min.

Caring for my microfibers this way has enabled me to keep them in very good condition.

Moving forward this is the way I will wash my microfiber towels in my HE machine. Though I must say I typically go to the coin op laundromat and wash my towels there as the machines are front loaders, and have those blades that agitate really well. I pay a little extra and use the, "extra wash" option. I factor in the cost of the laundry into the price of the detail.

After I wash them at the coin op I then bring them home and run them through the rinse cycle on my HE machine.

Then hang dry and air fluff as described above.

After I dry them I put my microfibers into military style laundry bags until I'm ready to inspect, fold and place them into their designated containers.

In closing I must say that this way is more manually labor intensive, but in my opinion its worth the extra work if you have the time.

4. Thanks Craig Encinitas, kingkakarot thanked for this post
    Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    And don't forget to keep the bucket clean too. A simply wipe with any APC once in a while keeps your bucket clean.
    I like to wipe mine out with Sonax Glass Cleaner. I just love the stuff!

6. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The OCD Method of Washing Microfiber Towels

Has anyone found that even after a proper thorough OCD level of washing, that their “high quality non-shedding” microfiber towels will still shed lint?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Encinitas View Post
    Has anyone found that even after a proper thorough OCD level of washing, that their “high quality non-shedding” microfiber towels will still shed lint?
    What brand(s)?
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Encinitas View Post
    The only real issue I have ever had was maybe during the first wash. After that I have not noticed any. And that includes the cheapy's I have gotten from Sam's Club or Meijer's for grunt work.

10. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN View Post

Mike I think this is an awesome way to clean your microfiber towels.

After reading this thread I decided to come up with a way for those of us with HE machines to clean our towels by tweaking your techniques a little.

Thank you for taking the time to share your HE or High Efficiency technique for getting your towles really clean.

I can tell after reading your write-up - you are WAY MORE OCD than me.

12. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN, RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post

I kinda miss the old style washers... they were rougher on the clothes and wasted a bunch but sure cleaned better.
    I've used all three styles,

1: Old School Front Loading with Agitator

2: New School Top Loading with VANE

3: New School Front Loading High Energy

Here's my thoughts and experience - the only washing machine that was able to REALLY get my towels and buffing pads clean is the,

#1 Old School Top Loading Agitator models.

The original top loader washing machine that was here when I came to work at Autogeek finally broke down by leaking. After checking with the local Appliance Repair store, they deduced that it was the tub rusting out and it would cost more to fix than it was worth. In hindsight, it would not have cost more than it's worth because any top loading agitator style washing machine is worth its weight in GOLD to a DETAILER.

The company purchased a new washing machine, somewhere on my hard drive I have pictures of it. I ran about a dozen loads of towels and buffing pads through it. At first it was hard to tell if it was really getting the towels clean or not. But when I washed the RUPES Wool Buffing pads AFTER the February (2020) car detailing class - that's when I knew 100% for sure the VANE style washing machines are absolute JUNK when it comes to getting anything clean. I washed the wool buffing pads THREE TIMES before they finally looked clean. This was after the class used them for compounding to remove sanding marks in the wetsanding class.

Here's what I did, knowing appliance repair businesses tend to have used units for sale, I called A & J Appliance Repair Service, here in Stuart, Florida. I explained to them what happened, the old washing machine wore out and after trying a new style the new vane style washing machine just wasn't working.

Here's what the owner told me,

We get phone calls like this all the time

Surprise surprise! It wasn't just me, and some of you, it's the rest of the world. This takes place all over the country. Old agitator style washing machines wear-out and/or break so us Joe Consumers go to Lowe's and buy the new model only to find out we've been duped by progress.

So here's what you do - find your local Appliance Repair stores and find out if they have an old Whirlpool, or Kitchenaid, or Maytag top loading agitator style washing machine and buy it. Save it for when you'll eventually need it. If you're reading this and you have a brick-n-mortar detail shop - heed these words. You don't have time to waste trying to get towels and pad clean with any VANE style top loading washing machine or any of the HE types. Sometimes old school is simply better. Like the say goes,

If it ain't broke - don't fix it...

Or like my wife says about me,

If it aint' broke - fix it until it is....

And for what it's worth, the owner of A & J Appliance Repair told me if I really want to go all in - find a Maytag SpeedQueen. He says the build quality is commercial grade and they are built like a Tank. He also said the problem is - anyone that has one knows what they have. Good, used models go for $1,500.00 easy.

FWIW

14. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DUBL0WS6 View Post

I'm triggered by your "clean dirty towels" label on the bucket.

I know it can be confusing because it confuses me. I have to THINK about it for a few seconds to remember what I mean by it.

It's a CLEAN bucket for my DIRTY towels.

Not all buckets are clean. In fact, most buckets I've seen and or used have crud on the bottoms of them from past use and lack of cleaning. So I keep THIS bucket clean by wiping it clean. Then when I put a used towel into it - I know at a minimum - the towel won't get any dirtier or contaminated once in my clean, dirty towel bucket.

It's all about keeping your towels from becoming contaminated and thus SCRATCHING paint.

Technique Tip

Here's another tip that will help you to keep our towels from getting contaminated during use. Have a CLEAN bucket handy and as you work your way around the car, place your dirty towels in the clean bucket. This keeps them off the floor where there's dirt, dead bugs, sticks, rocks and leaves. All of these thing will contaminate and ruin your fluffy microfiber towels.

CLEAN on the INSIDE

Continue placing your used towels into the Clean Dirty Towel Bucket - as I like to call it as you work around your car.

IF you haven't already, click the link below and watch my video and look at the pretty pictures.

How, why & when to inspect your microfiber towels when detailing cars

Also - a full 5-gallon bucket is the MOST I would ever put into a top loading machine to wash and usually I wouldn't put that much in. So it's also a MEASURING tool. If it's about 3/4 full, I simply pour the towels into the washing machine. Keep in mind that I also only wash like-towels, with like towels. This means same type of towel used with the same products.

The Clean Dirty Towel Bucket Method

By using a bucket to hold dirty towels as you work around a car - the towels NEVER touch the floor and can go right from the bucket to the washing machine. It's all about doing the thing you can do to prevent your microfiber tools from becoming contaminated.

I use larger Lake Country Buffing Pad Boxes for my detailing classes due to the VOLUME of towels and pads we go through - BUT I make sure these are clean before the class and during the class. (ask Andre)

Quote Originally Posted by Me Time View Post

I completely agree. Our old Whirlpool bit the dust a few years back and the only true old style I could find was a SpeedQueen. They are not cheap compared to the generic vain/agitater machines, but it does the job very well.
    Maytag Speed Queen for the win!

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post

Feeling grateful for my top loading, agitating old school washer that came with my house in 2012.

My wife is all into kitchen appliances but I’m pretty sure I can convince her to go old school washing machine with our next house too (that’s cause I’m the main laundry person, yay!)
    Good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Markymapo View Post

Yes, our 29 year old Maytag with agitator finally went to the scrap heap (I was actually having a difficult time finding parts).
    A sad day....

Quote Originally Posted by Markymapo View Post

Now we have one of these new fangled ones without an agitator
    Consider making it a QUEST to find and obtain a Maytag Speed Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangavideo View Post

Had a front load Maytag HE combo at one time but it had issues draining moisture completely and constantly stank of mildew.

Switched back to a old agitator style
    Us too....

16. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast