autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Save paint correction time - count your section passes OUT LOUD! by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    And then she locked the door and called the psychiatrist. Lol
    As Eyegor would say ...

She could have called the cops !

2. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Save paint correction time - count your section passes OUT LOUD! by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Eric7810 View Post

This is such a simple but outstanding tip.

I’ll admit, I was skeptical at first. After doing it on a vehicle, though, I was blown away by the efficiency I worked with.
    Copy that. It is VERY simple but at least for me, it works. If I don't count my passes out-loud I inevitability my mind will wander and I forget what section pass count I'm on. So - I simply add 3 to 4 more section passes, maybe 5 more section passes just to ensure I've removed the defects to my satisfaction, (my satisfaction level is determined before detailing the car and then dialed-in during the Test Spot), and multiplied by how many sections you divide each panel of a car into equals a LOT of wasted time.

I've never shared this simple technique at this year's Mobile Tech Expo. I had 8 classes just on Thursday,

2020 Mobile Tech Expo Class Schedule for Education Day on Thursday in Orlando, Florida

1: Boat Detailing – Wetsanding, Correction, Chemical Stripping & Installing a Ceramic Coating

2: Short Stroke vs Long Stroke Orbital Polishers – Differences & Benefits

3: Free Spinning Orbital Polishers vs Gear-Driven Orbital Polishers – Differences & Benefits

4: Detailing Clay vs Detailing Clay Mitts, Towels & Pads – Differences & Benefits

5: How to chemically strip paint and install a ceramic paint coating PLUS how to properly wash a ceramic coated vehicle.

6: One-Step AIOs vs Paint Correction & Ceramic Coatings – Differences & Benefits

7: Tire Coatings vs Tire Dressings – Differences & Benefits

8: How to become the recognized detailing expert in your hometown.

With around 100+ people in each class, some standing room only, that's a lot of people in one day to introduce this simple technique. But to this day I talk to people that were in one of the above classes and the all say the same thing,

I tired that technique and it works!

I have to admit, the technique is SO SIMPLE that each time I shared it I was kind of embarrassed. I thought all these seasoned, expert detailers in my classes were laughing at the idea and thus at me. But I shared it anyway because I know from years of experience it works. So I shared it just the same and I share it in all my car and boat detailing classes and I'm vindicated by my own experience and the testimonies I hear from others. It's simple but it works.

I also count out my section passes for machine sanding and actually nay time of buffing work. It saves me time.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric7810 View Post

To have a little fun, I was in the garage screaming out my count over the noise of my buffer and my wife came out to see what was the matter with me. I said it’s my new buffing technique.
    That's funny!

Good to hear it works for you and thank you for sharing in this thread. When others actually take the time to CHIME IN on a thread like this and share like you did it helps to convince others,

A: I'm not crazy.

B: The technique works.

So many just read on this forum and so few actual participate.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike
    I have a better understanding of how to count, the passes now. But I have a question, in the video it looked like you didn't go all the way to the end of the panel and do you buff on the panel sharp bends?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by rdfkentucky View Post

Mike
    I have a better understanding of how to count, the passes now.

But I have a question,

in the video it looked like you didn't go all the way to the end of the panel

Sometimes it can be awkward to try do do something exactly right while also trying to make it look good on video.

I have an article,

If it has paint... it gets polished...

I can guarantee you that off-camera - every square inch of any car's body panels gets polished.

Quote Originally Posted by rdfkentucky View Post

and do you buff on the panel sharp bends?
    Yes. Most of my work, not all but most of it, I use the BEAST and when I need to get into a tight area I either go up on edge,

If you spend enough time behind any tool you can make it dance on paint -Mike Phillips

Edging with the FLEX 3401 at one of our detailing classes

How to use the Flex 3401 to remove swirls & water spots

Or use the Nano or the PiXiE or even work by hand.

Doing Edge Work with RUPES Nano in Rotary Mode - Mike Phillips Style

Mike Phillips

And just to share,

While this video was not one of our LIVE Detailing Classes I have added it to the LIST of live detailing classes as number #19 in this thread that shares all the LIVE detailing class videos.

Complete List of Live Broadcast Videos on YouTube - Yancy Martinez & Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Again, thanks a million for your help Mike! Priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike, in the video - is that your standard correction speed? Would it apply to a DA has well?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    And then she locked the door and called the psychiatrist. Lol
    And then the psychiatrist called him to buff out his Mercedes.

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12