autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Remove swirls scratches by machine in Vinyl Stripes Decals Graphics Corvette

Remove swirls scratches by machine in Vinyl Stripes Decals Graphics Corvette

Machine polishing vinyl graphics to remove swirls and scratches

The story...

This 2015 ZO6 Corvette just got out of the body shop after having the entire passenger side re-painted. As a courtesy to the owner, the body shop washed the car.

Now all the graphics on the hood have swirls, scratches and marring. IN the vinyl. Below I'll show how I removed the swirls. scratches and marring.

First I'll photo-document the damage.

Nice.

Machine polishing vinyl decals

To do this work I used the FLEX PiXie with a FLEX green 3.5 foam polishing pad and Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover.

The Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover is a MEDIUM cut polish. It's also expensive BUT - it's uses great abrasive technology. Otherwise I couldn't do this type of work on such a DELICATE material.

Love these towels

Next I wipe off the polish residue using a Forrest Green Edgeless Microfiber Towel.

Just look at them thar results!

Next I use the Pinnacle Prep Spray to CHEMICALLY STRIP THE SURFACE and after that I applied the Pinnacle Black Label Matte Coating. I applied this to the decals and also the paint. Not sure if it will work on the paint but I think it will be fine.

Here's the final results....

Big Picture

Instead of polishing swirls and scratches out of vinyl graphics it would be much smarter to NOT put them in - in the first place. But it is what it is. Just seems body shops have a history of putting swirls and scratches back into the cars they work on. This really a simple "training" issue. Helps to have clean wash mitts, clean buckets, quality car wash soap, clean drying towels. But I've called on a lot of body shops in my life for training purposes and most don't have these basic essentials so you get what you get.

The good news...

The good news is - if something like this happens to you and your car you can fix it. You'll need GREAT abrasive technology. I used a FLEX micro-tool but you could do this type of polishing with a small pad on just about any tool, it's just easier due to the complex type of work this is to actually have a micro-tool.

Hope this helps others into the future....

On Autogeek.com

FLEX PXE 80 $399.99

Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover $49.99

Forrest Green Edgeless Towels - 12 pack $19.99

Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Matte Coating $99.99

FLEX Foam Pads Mixed sizes and prices

2. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Remove swirls scratches by machine in Vinyl Stripes Decals Graphics Corvette

More....

Here's a video on my Facebook page showing the swirl removal done LIVE and in real-time.

4. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Remove swirls scratches by machine in Vinyl Stripes Decals Graphics Corvette

More....

Here's a video on my Instagram page showing the swirl removal done LIVE and in real-time.

This time it's on the blue vinyl stripes on a 2018 Shelby Mustang GT350

Post Thanks / Like

Great read, Mike. Especially with these types of graphics becoming rather common again.

I think it’s important to stress a quality polish as you did with great abrasives. Basically a crappy buffing liquid will produce crappy results.

Too add: I have used BF One Step and a soft finishing pad on multiple graphics with great results. Quality abrasives. It’s an option if someone isn’t willing to spend/pay for the extra time involved coating the graphics.
    Jim

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post

Great read, Mike. Especially with these types of graphics becoming rather common again.
    Was astonishing to see the level of swirls in the stripes on both the Chevy and the Ford.

What are people thinking?

I think it’s important to stress a quality polish as you did with great abrasives. Basically a crappy buffing liquid will produce crappy results.
    Totally agree.

For those reading this into the future - read this article,

Abrasive Technology - THE most important factor when it comes to polishing paint

Too add: I have used BF One Step and a soft finishing pad on multiple graphics with great results.
    Copy that. Not only does the BLACKFIRE One Step work great on the graphics shown on both cars in the above videos but it also works great to buff out clear plastic bras aka PPF

PPF - Paint Protection Film

Post Thanks / Like

Nice write up Mike. The video alone speaks for itself.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Nice write up Mike. The video alone speaks for itself.
    Thanks Michael. That was the real deal.

Impossible to mock-up something like this when you do it LIVE!

Mike Phillips

Of course I love the forum interface the best but have to show, my Facebook page and Intagram page get a lot more interest.

Screenshot showing stats on my FB page in less than 24 hours

Mike Phillips Facebook Page

Screen shot showing stats for my Instagram page 3 days ago....

Instagram

I see lots of folk on the forum but so few post, they just look and read and leave.

Post Thanks / Like

Good thread Mike, I always wondered how you do that.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.

Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike, in this video you used the Pixie, Rupes soft foam finishing pad and Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish.

Mike Phillips - Vinyl Graphics - Removing Swirls by...

I'm assuming this is the fist pad and product combo you used on your test spot as this seems to be a very gentle combo.

Is that the Speedmaster Swirlfinder Light? I just ordered the Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish. I noticed I only ordered an 8 ounce bottle. Is that enough to get around a whole car? If not I've got time to order another.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast