autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

What does it cost to install a ceramic paint coating? Example #1

What does it cost to install a ceramic paint coating? Example #1

This is the first in a series of articles that will document the full cost to install a ceramic coating on your own car (do-it-yourself)

OR to understand what it cost for a Pro Detailer to do-it-for-you.

Example #1 - 2009 Porsche Carrera S 997.2

Recently I performed the paint correction on a Porsche and then installed the 3D Ceramic Paint Coating. More about this car here.

Here's the final results.

What does it cost to install a ceramic paint coating?

There is SO MUCH interest in ceramic coatings now days and that's because ceramic coatings, at least the knowledge of them has gone mainstream. The term and the product, ceramic paint coatings, has hit the Tipping Point. Actually, I would say ceramic paint coatings hit the tipping point at least a year or two ago.

What most people know is a ceramic coating is a product or a replacement for a conventional car wax except it comes in a tiny glass bottle.

What most people don't know is that you need a few more things than the just the little glass bottle of coating and these other things cost money.

After doing the paint correction and installing the ceramic paint coating on the Porsche, I spread everything I used out on a table and then took some pictures to show what I used and then added up the cost of everything I used including inserting the link to the AG store where you can purchase these items or do your own math.

A picture tells a thousand words....

Down below, I'll type out what I used

Paint Correction - you can call it compounding if you like....

For the correction work I used the FLEX BEAST and by my count, 15 Lake Country 6.5" Force Hybrid Orange Foam Cutting pads.

I used the SONAX Glass Cleaner for both a waterless wash and also as my clay lube. You can see I used about 3/4 of a bottle and the clay I used was the Wolfgang Elestic Poly Clay. For the paint correction work I used the 3D One Compound/polish.

Final Polishing

Below are RUPES 7" yellow foam polishing pads. I used these to get into the louvers over the engine. The tapered design works well to give you a tick more REACH plus the edge of the pad is a little further away from the backing plate and I needed this reach to buff out the louvers without having the backing plate touch the louver above the louver below it while buffing.

For all of the rest of the polishing work I used the Lake Country 6.5" Force Hybrid BLACK foam finishing pads and the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. NOT A GLAZE. Just to note, the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze is NOT a glaze, it's a fine cut polish. I'm not sure who named this product but it was named long before I cam to work for Autogeek. We should rename it so we stop confusing the market place. The reason I used this instead of the 3D One is simply because on this black paint I found the Wolfgang Finishing POLISH to finish out more perfect than the 3D One. 3D One is a great product but some paints are a tick more sensitive than others and this is why you do a TEST SPOT before buffing out an entire car.

Chemically stripping and installing the coating

This was a review for the BRAND NEW 3D panel wipe called WIPE so I used it and also used the 3D Ceramic Paint Coating.

This is in keeping with my philosophy and personal practice of Synergistic Chemical Compatibility

Microfiber towels

I took these pictures after washing and drying the towels.

I took this picture after inspecting and folding the towels to get a towel count.

51 Forrest Green Edgeless towels and 12 Storm Gray Towels

Summary of what I used with my comments....

Orbital Polisher

I used the BEAST. These are not cheap but they are good. Because this is a gear-driven orbital polisher there is zero pad stalling. Thus as I like to say, I can power through a detail job.

FLEX XC 3401 VRG Gear-Driven Orbital Polisher aka The BEAST! - $436.00

Buffing Pads

I always tell people it takes more than one or two pads to buff out a car, at least when using foam pads. The reason why is because as a pad becomes wet with the product you're using, it SOFTENS the foam.

A cutting pad becomes as soft as a finishing pad and stops correcting.

A polishing pad becomes as soft as a finishing pad and stops polishing.

When your foam cutting and polishing pads become soft they lose their ability to cut or abrade the paint therefore you're wasting your time. To do the paint correction steps as fast as humanly possible you MUST switch out to a clean, dry pad OFTEN.

Not only will switching to a clean, dry pad often enable to you work faster and more efficiently, because you're NOT TORTURING your pads by getting them wet and getting them HOT and buffing for hours with them - they will last longer. You'll get more detail jobs out of your pads before they wear out. When you only use a few pad to buff out an entire car your pads only last for a few detail jobs and then they're toast.

By my count, I used,

15 - Lake Country 6.5" Force Hybrid Orange Foam Cutting Pads - $10.99 Each

2 - RUPES 180 mm (7 inch) Yellow Polishing Foam Pad - $14.99 each

6- Lake Country 6.5" Force Hybrid Foam Finishing Pads - $10.99 Each

Products also referred to as liquids

SONAX Glass Cleaner - $11.99

I used the SONAX Glass Cleaner as my rinesless wash, my clay lube and as a glass cleaner for the windows.

Wolfgang Elastic Poly Clay Bar - FINE Grade
    - $29.99

3D One - 16 ounce bottle 16 ounce bottle - $23.99

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 - 16 ounce bottle - 39.99

Microfiber Towels

Most people don't have enough HIGH QUALITY microfiber towels to do the paint correction step and then install the ceramic coating. Besides behind high quality - they also must NOT be contaminated. If there's just ONE tiny abrasive particle lodged into the weave of just one of your towels and you wipe the paint with it - you will undo all your hard work by putting swirls and scratches back into the paint.

I used a combination of the Forrest Green and Storm Grey Edgeless Towels.

For the rinseless wash, claying, wiping off compounds and polishes I used the Cobra Forrest Green Edgeless towels.

For chemically stripping the paint and then giving the paint a final buff to spread the coating and remove any high spots, I used the Cobra Storm Gray Edgeless towels.

These are the same type of towel, just different colors.

The best deal is to purchase these towels by the 12-packs.

Forrest Green Edgeless Microfiber towels - 12 Pack $19.99

Cobra Storm Gray Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloth - 12 Pack - $19.99

2. Thanks Mike Hoekstra, Thomkirby, custmsprty thanked for this post
    Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: What does it cost to install a ceramic paint coating? Example #1 by Mike Phillips - 3D & 2009 Porsche Carrera S 997.2

Continued....

Let's do the math

Continued....

I added up what it would cost to purchase everything I used to give anyone reading this into the future a general idea of what it would cost to do-it-yourself. For the Forrest Green towels, I used 51 according to my laundry count but I'll just round this out to four 12-packs.

3D Wipe 16 ounces - $13.99

3D Ceramic Coating Kit - 30mL - $79.99

3D One - 16 ounce bottle - $23.99

FLEX XC 3401 VRG Gear-Driven Orbital Polisher aka The BEAST! - $436.00

15 - Lake Country 6.5" Force Hybrid Orange Foam Cutting Pads - $10.99 Each x 15 = $164.85

2 - RUPES 180 mm (7 inch) Yellow Polishing Foam Pad - $14.99 each x 2 = 29.98

6- Lake Country 6.5" Force Hybrid Foam Finishing Pads - $10.99 Each x 6 = $65.94

SONAX Glass Cleaner - $11.99

Wolfgang Elastic Poly Clay Bar - FINE Grade - $29.99

3D One - 16 ounce bottle 16 ounce bottle - $23.99

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 - 16 ounce bottle - 39.99

Forrest Green Edgeless Microfiber towels - 12 Pack $19.99 x 4 = $79.96

Cobra Storm Gray Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloth - 12 Pack - $19.99

Total = $1,020.65

4. Thanks Mike Hoekstra thanked for this post
    Likes Mike Hoekstra, Thomkirby liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: What does it cost to install a ceramic paint coating? Example #1 by Mike Phillips - 3D & 2009 Porsche Carrera S 997.2

Continued....

If you already own an orbital polisher then you can subtract the cost of the FLEX 3401 ($436.00) to bring the cost down to $584.65

If you already own plenty of pads and towels, ($360.72) this would bring the cost down to $223.93

If you already own compounds and polishes, car wash, clay, clay lube, then you can subtract these costs too.

So if you already own all of the above, then the cost to install a ceramic paint coating on your car would simply be the cost of the Panel Wipe and the Coating.

As of today's prices and keep in mind prices for everything I've showcased in this article FLUCTUATE.

3D Wipe 16 ounces - $13.99

3D Ceramic Coating Kit - 30mL - $79.99

Total: $93.98

Let's just call it 100 bucks. Plus shipping and taxes.

So there you go. The above gives you and idea of what it cost to install a ceramic paint coating on your own car, or what it costs a pro detailer to install it for you.

In the future, I'll share other coating installation jobs using different,

• Tools
    • Pads
    • Products
    • Coatings

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What does it cost to install a ceramic paint coating? Example #1

So, to spring-board off of this, How many hours is invested in this car start-finish? I am calculating 8-10 hours for an experienced professional yourself? A detailer would add their associated hourly shop rate to the price correct? So total for a customer would be somewhere between $1600-2000 for labor and materials etc?
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

Mike Phillips

Continued...

If you're going to try to install a ceramic paint coating to your own car - PLEASE start by clicking the link and reading through some of the articles I've written to HELP you get it right the first time and avoid mistakes.

Ceramic Paint Coating How-To Articles by Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey Mike View Post

So, to spring-board off of this, How many hours is invested in this car start-finish? I am calculating 8-10 hours for an experienced professional yourself?
    From memory, I think I was in the 8 hour range.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey Mike View Post

A detailer would add their associated hourly shop rate to the price correct?

So total for a customer would be somewhere between $1600-2000 for labor and materials etc?

Not as easy as that but we all wish.

For a pro detailer, and when I use the term "pro detailer", I use it pretty loosely to include anyone that details for money, a pro detailer should already have everything they need but the actual coating.

This is another good topic. When pricing your work, most detailers and shops that I know of have a set price for any of their packages.

When it comes to coatings - there's a part of me that thinks the coating itself should be charged for separately and any leftover in the bottle goes with the customer.

I'm not firm on this concept but with the (in context), high price of a tiny glass bottle of Brand XYZ Ceramic Coating, it's good size ding on the package price.

Please - others chime in.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent breakdown of this process, Mike.

Great thread.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Likes Mike Hoekstra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think when you factor in the full cost of absolutely everything used usually in a process like this IE tires dressed, wheels protected, Trim protected, the cost would run up even higher.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

When it comes to pricing a ceramic coating, the cost of it is always in addition to a single stage paint correction or a multi-stage paint correction. No longer do I include a minimum of a one-step.

A lot of credit is given to the product itself nowadays, but shine is nothing without proper machine polishing. Got to charge for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Great topic Mike,
    I like that not only do you show all the products but you did give the costs. This would be the key decision points for anyone, pro or hobbyist.

I think your concept of package pricing is along what some car dealers service centers do everyday. They have a set fee for shop supplies they pass along for most used items that you really do not want to itemize nor track and provide the customer. Towels are a good example of how do you charge for usage?

I do think that perhaps a set package price complete with coatings could be appropriate, something along your Package #1, #2, and #3. Each package could cover the different price points of your coatings and the base cost of all those supplies and chemicals. Labor would have to calculated within each package. Or your packages would exclude the last step protection. And yes letting the customer carry along the bottle would be a conversation item. Heck you will never see that again as it most likely will crystalize just sitting almost empty.

I think at Mobile Tech, the MobileTechRX software, prices out in a detail fashion. That is the new software aimed at the Pro-Detailer but along the same model they do for the PDR industry. Their input from the IDA members they polled leaned to that direction in their demonstration.

Overall,
    Please do keep this 'tally' review in our forums, it is a true view of all work done for and by auto enthusiasts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast