autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Speed Master Work Inspection Light

Speed Master Work Inspection Light

Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light

This light is actually called the Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light not the Work Inspection Light. That said, it's important to have a great hand-held light to inspect for swirls but also to inspect your work after removing the swirls. This can be for finding coating high spots or as shown in the example below, inspecting for wax smears or patches of wax that has not been removed.

Recently I detailed a 1971 Dodge Charger R/T in order to use and review the new Wolfgang Vinyl Top Cleaner and Vinyl Top Protectant.

Review Wolfgang Convertible Top Cleaner and Vinyl Convertible Top Protectant

The garage - my other office

After washing the car, cleaning and protecting the vinyl top - the other part of my responsibility to the cool people that trust me with their cool cars is to finish the job. The paint on this car was in very good condition but not good enough for the type of car this is - a show car. So machine corrected the paint using Pinnacle Jeweling Wax, which is actually an All-in-One, that is it's a wax that uses very high quality abrasive technology thus it's is able to remove swirls and scratches while at the same time leaving the paint protected.

After machine waxing the entire car, I went around the car on a Speed Master Detailer's Seat using the Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light to inspect my work.

At this point I've machine waxed the entire car and now it's time to remove the wax.

Here's a picture showing a panel covered in Jeweling Wax.

Wipe, wipe wipe....

Here's how a great hand-held light works - it reveals any wax you missed.

Now that you can see areas of wax you've missed you can be sure to remove it before returning it to your customer. It's better for you to find missed spots of wax, sealant or coating than your customer.

Now that looks perfect.

Here's what I used on this incredibly cool and iconic muscle car from Detroit.

Final results....

One of the reasons this car is so cool is because it came from the factory with the 440 Big Block.

In case you've never seen the inside of a classic muscle car....

If you do not have a great hand-held light for inspecting for swirls and also for left behind wax, sealants or coating residues you need one.

On Autogeek.com

Now that about 7 months have gone by since we introduced the Speed Master Detailer's Seat I have the chance to use it a lot and I really like. It's very stable and about as low as you can go and still be functional. Check out my review here,

Review: Speed Master Detailer's Seat

Speed Master Detailer's Seat

Mike Phillips

Re: Speed Master Work Inspection Light

Also just to add....

There's a term in our industry called,

Topping

The word topping means to apply a secondary product over the first-use product. This is usually done by applying a non-cleaning wax or sealant over a one-step cleaner/wax or cleaner/sealant also called an AIO. The purpose or thinking behind topping is to lay down more protection.

And the thinking behind why a non-cleaning wax or sealant provides more protection than a one-step product is because when using a one-step product, at the same time a one-step product is removing defects it's also protecting the paint. And visa-versa - at the same time the all-in-one is protecting the paint it's removing defects.

In other words, while a great one-step is super time-saving product, it is limited to what it can do at both extremes of the detailing process. It will never correct as well as a dedicated compound and it will never protect as a dedicated, non-cleaning wax or sealant.

So to provide more protection and/or to fully maximize gloss, shine and beauty, a lot of people will do what's called topping.

Here's an example of topping

The Pinnacle Jeweling Wax is top notch when it comes to abrasive technology. I would put it up against any other brand of product in its category. Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax is top notch in its own category, that is a show car wax also called a finishing wax.

Because this is a true show car, (you will find this car at local car shows), I topped the Jeweling wax with the Pinnacle Souveran. And when I did this, I used the FLEX PXE. I wanted to show how the PXE or PiXiE can be used to machine apply a wax. The reason I wanted to do this is because there are still LOTS of people that are afraid to use a machine polisher on their car. They are afraid they will harm the paint. The FLEX PiXiE is so safe and because it's cordless, it's both convenient and easy to use to machine apply a finishing wax to any car where the paint is already in excellent condition.

Griot's BOSS Foam Pads

To do this, I used the Griot's 3.5" BOSS black foam finishing pad on the 3" backing plate using the 12mm free spinning drive unit installed on the PiXiE. This pad fits inside the jar of Souveran Wax and this makes it easy and fast to machine wax.

Here's a short video showing how to do this,

On Autogeek.com

FLEX PXE KIT

Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax

Griots Garage BOSS 3 inch Black Finishing Pad

The machine always outperforms the human....

3. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post