autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Extreme Floor Mat Makeover - How to machine scrub floor mats to remove stains

Extreme Floor Mat Makeover - How to machine scrub floor mats to remove stains

Recently traded the Golden Eagle in for an INFINITI QX30.

Review: PBL Paint Coating & Surface Coating - 2017 IFINITI QX30 - Magnetic Red

My wife Stacy is a tick on the OCD side about an immaculately detailed interior. Me? Not so much.

To protect the factory carpet mats she ordered the factory rubber mats. When they arrived they were HORRIBLY stained with some kind of white stuff on them. We called the Fort Meyers dealership, (the nearest dealership that had them in stock), and shared a picture of the appearance of the mats brand new out of the packaging and the kind IFINITI parts department staff immediately said he would send is a replacement set AND would personally inspect the new replacement set to make sure they looked right. Called us back and said all the QX30 mats had this white staining defect.

Bummer man.

So, the detailer inside of me took this on as a make-or-break situation because Stacy wanted factory mats.

Here's how they looked from the dealership.

See it?

And whatever it is, a little spit and my finger doesn't rub it off.

The best way I can explain it is whatever "it" is - it's stained-INTO and impact ONTO the rubber.

Not pretty....

Spray spray spray...

Machine scrub scrub scrub....

Note how I go up on edge to get the bristles INTO the sub-surface channels?

Note how I go up on edge to get the bristles INTO the sub-surface channels?

I also worked a brush into the tight areas really well...

No pictures

Sorry, no pictures of the,

1. Rinsing clean.
    2. Blow drying with a MetroVac Sidekick.
    3. Applying BLACKFIRE Multi-Surface Dressing and working in with Horse Hair Brush.
    4. Wiping excess off and out of channel areas with Cobra 530 Microfiber Towel - the fluffy side.

After Stacy did the drying and dressing aspect I then air-blasted each mat using the Tornador Black Air Blow Out Gun.

BOOM!

Now they look right and the look tight!

Here's most of what we used... the Carrand brush for for hand scrubbing and the Horse Hair brush was for working the Multi-Surface Dressing

The BLACKFIRE Multi-Surfaced Dressing Concentrate is WATER BASED. Here I've poured some of the concentrate into a measuring cup of water and then mixed it up to show it stays in emulsion. Another way of saying that is it does NOT separate out.

So much less slippery or slick than a solvent or oil based dressing.

The mats came out great. Not perfect but we can live with them. They look GREAT in the car and the carpet mats are protected.

Warning: Use a vinyl/rubber dressing on floor mats at your own risk. The cleaning process removed about 97 percent of the white staining appearance and the dressing tool the results over the top. My thoughts are moving into the future, secondary and thirdary cleaning will completely fix the staining issues.

On Autogeek.com

BLACKFIRE Mat Cleaner & Protectant 32 oz.

BLACKFIRE Multi-Surface Dressing Concentrate 32 oz

Carrand Deluxe Interior Brush

Natural Horse Hair Interior Upholstery Brush

FLEX PE-150 Cordless Rotary Polisher

Heavy-Duty DA Carpet Brush – Long Bristles

Rotary 4 ľ inch Flexible Backing Plate

Cobra Supreme 530 Microfiber Towel, 16 x 16 inches

2. Thanks Diner, JKDesign, derass thanked for this post
    Likes Thomkirby, JKDesign liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Extreme Floor Mat Makeover - How to machine scrub floor mats to remove stains

Continued....

Here's the final results after re-installing into car.

Driver's side front

Close-up

Passenger side front

Close-up

Passenger side rear

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Extreme Floor Mat Makeover - How to machine scrub floor mats to remove stains

Those were disgusting when you started. You need to talk to the owner to take better care of those mats!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks brand new!

How bad was the splatter when doing this? The pictures make it seem like it was pretty clean but a brush like that with that amount of liquid on a semi-hard surface makes me think there'd be a lot of splatter.
    Bruno Soares

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post

Looks brand new!
    Yeah... they came out nice but I also scrubbed the heck out of them.

How bad was the splatter when doing this?

The pictures make it seem like it was pretty clean but a brush like that with that amount of liquid on a semi-hard surface makes me think there'd be a lot of splatter.
    Not to bad actually. I was wearing my work uniform so I didn't care if I got dirty. I ran the PE14 on the 1 speed setting - that's 900 RPM.

I did the work at the end of the bay by the garage door and rinsed the mats off in the utility sink down the hall.

I would have much rather take replacement but I think INFINITI vendor for their mats must have made them on a Monday?

I'll send the guy we worked with the link to this thread. He/They can do with the info what they will.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool. I guess speed 1 is why it didn’t splatter as bad as I was imagining it.
    Bruno Soares

Mike Phillips

Cool. I guess speed 1 is why it didn’t splatter as bad as I was imagining it.

I started out feathering the trigger but then went ahead and locked the speed trigger in place on the 1 speed setting and it wasn't any worse than feathering the trigger.

If it were not for the rotary power I don't think I could have saved these mats. Not sure what caused the weird staining but my guess is something to do with the injection molding process?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I started out feathering the trigger but then went ahead and locked the speed trigger in place on the 1 speed setting and it wasn't any worse than feathering the trigger.

If it were not for the rotary power I don't think I could have saved these mats. Not sure what caused the weird staining but my guess is something to do with the injection molding process?

Definitely some issue with the molding process. Maybe they messed up the mix of products and it ended up that way. Hopefully the ones you fixed will remain that way and not turn white again with time.

Did they just give you the money back and said keep them?
    Bruno Soares

Mike Phillips

Definitely some issue with the molding process. Maybe they messed up the mix of products and it ended up that way. Hopefully the ones you fixed will remain that way and not turn white again with time.
    Cofidence is high we fixed them. They look good. Meant to take a picture last night but car was parked a ways from our house.

Did they just give you the money back and said keep them?

I think so, it was a fine with us. They actually offered to send us another set for free but it had the same problem.

I'll try to get some pictures of the mats back in the car and also the interior after using the complete PBL line on the leather.

11. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work and excellent write-up as always, Mike! You are the master!! And the white staining is the Release Agent in the rubber- it comes to the surface as the liquified rubber cools off in the mold during the manufacturing process. This is the reason that we have to scrub new raw bumper covers with an abrasive chemical agent and then bake them prior to painting them here in the collision industry. If we don't do that, the release agents come back to the surface (underneath the paint) in the painting process, and eventually the new paint will delaminate down the road.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast