autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Hand Scrubbing versus Machine Scrubbing Tires - 1971 Charger R/T 440 Magnum

Hand Scrubbing versus Machine Scrubbing Tires - 1971 Charger R/T 440 Magnum

I detailed this old 2-door Dodge as a part of using and shooting a video for some new products plus writing a few reviews. There's always,

One more thing....

The tires.

The tires have been maintained with a good dressing but it's simply time to remove whatever is there and replace it so the sidewalls are clean and refreshed. I never hand scrub tires any longer but I thought I would refresh my memory as to what it's like and in the process of cleaning and dressing these tires I took a few pictures.

And here's the deal - once you machine scrub tires - you'll never go back to hand scrubbing.

This first tires is the back tire, I accidentally saved over the original showing the ENTIRE tire as I was cropping out and then saving smaller areas to show either dirt on the sidewall or scuffing?

I present.... an old 2-door Dodge!

Hand scrubbing works but machine scrubbing kicks tires!

2. Thanks derass, Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hand Scrubbing versus Machine Scrubbing Tires - 1971 Charger R/T 440 Magnum

I still do it by hand. Its what im used too and get quick and wonderful results. Nice Charger.. He need a set of OEM tires to finish it off.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by TopBlissGT View Post

I still do it by hand. Its what im used too and get quick and wonderful results.
    I did it like this for years, then about 6 years ago, when I wanted to coat some 40" tall Toyo tires, I put 2 and 2 together and attached a Cyclo brush onto a Porter Cable Polisher and came up with machine scrubbing tires and have never looked back.

The cordless PE14 works better and because its battery powered - no shock risk.

Quote Originally Posted by TopBlissGT View Post

Nice Charger.. He need a set of OEM tires to finish it off.

Like the tires on this car...

Original Paint Restoration - 1970 Bronze Metallic Corvette - Pinnacle Jeweling Wax- Porter Cable

Mike Phillips

More....

Old 2-door rag top Plymouth....

Quick, simple fast and easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Mike,

I bought both the 5-inch Heavy Duty Brush heads for the rotary/DA backing plate (velcro).

Now I need to order a backing plate for the rotary and AG has the Lake Country 4-3/4 inch or Buff&Shine 5-inch in those smaller sizes.

Will either of these fit those brush heads?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post
    Question Mike,

I bought both the 5-inch Heavy Duty Brush heads for the rotary/DA backing plate (velcro).

Now I need to order a backing plate for the rotary and AG has the Lake Country 4-3/4 inch or Buff&Shine 5-inch in those smaller sizes.

Will either of these fit those brush heads?

Good question. I know the Lake Country Backing Plate I share in this article works for sure,

Quick and easy tire detailing - Use a water-based all-in-one rubber & vinyl cleaner/conditioners instead of tire dressings

This backing plate,

Rotary 4 ľ inch Flexible Backing Plate

Sometime today I'll check on the B&S backing plate and get the size and part number that will work with this brush.

Heavy-Duty DA Carpet Brush – Long Bristles

I'm an equal opportunity exploiter when it comes to brands.

8. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post