autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quick and easy tire detailing - Use water-based all-in-one rubber & vinyl cleaner/conditioners instead of tire dressings

Mike, can you remind me:
    - which machine brush that blue one is?
    - which machine brush would you use for more low profile tires (I think there’s a shorter brush you recommended before)?
    - do you only use a rotary for this, or would you also use a corded DA such as GG6 or PC if no rotary was available?
    - would you bother trying with a drill bit attachment for the brush if the above DAs don’t work well (or even if they do work)?

2. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Quick and easy tire detailing - Use water-based all-in-one rubber & vinyl cleaner/conditioners instead of tire dressings

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post

Mike, can you remind me:

- which machine brush that blue one is?

Normally I include links to everything I showcased at the bottom of the first page. Sometimes in the 2nd or 3rd reply - depends on how many pictures and now long I go on a topic.

Heavy-Duty DA Carpet Brush – Long Bristles

- which machine brush would you use for more low profile tires (I think there’s a shorter brush you recommended before)?

I would always use the long bristle version as it will be easier on you to use, provide flex for the tire sidewall radius and also reach into the tight space between the pavement and the bottom of the tire.

do you only use a rotary for this, or would you also use a corded DA such as GG6 or PC if no rotary was available?
    If I did not have access to a rotary polisher, especially a compact size cordless rotary polisher, then I would use a tool like the Porter Cable. The PC with a Cyco brush will still do better work faster than the human hand.

I don't know if I'm the original source for showing people how to turn their Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher into a dual action tire scrubber but I have the oldest article I can DOCUMENT on this topic on the Internet.

The time stamp on this article is March 28th, 2013

Best darn tire cleaning brush I've ever used!

Here's the first video I made on this procedure dated October 25th, 2013 --> Screenshot

Rotary vs Orbital

Another benefit to this tool is that it is a rotary action, that is the brush is spun in a single direction and like all drills the power is delivered via gears, that is it is gear-driven, not free spinning. ANYONE that has ever used a Porter Cable or Griot's Garage or any copy of these two tools to machine scrub tires knows two things,

1: Just like polishing paint with a free spinning polisher you have to turn the speed up to the highest setting and pay attention to how you hold the polisher to maintain BRUSH rotation. Not so with this cordless tool, it's gear driven and the brush always spins.

2: When you use an orbital polisher to machine scrub the portion of the tire that's close to the concrete, the reciprocating backing on the brush bangs into the ground and makes a horrible sound plus vibrates the heck out of your hands. Not so with this cordless tool.

Machine scrubbing your tires is the only way to go....

- would you bother trying with a drill bit attachment for the brush if the above DAs don’t work well (or even if they do work)?

Because a drill is basically a rotary polisher, just in a pistol style design, you bet I'd use a cordless drill. Next time I clean tires I'll show this option. Direct drive rotary always trumps free spinning orbital when it comes to machine scrubbing tires. Even when scrubbing most other things. Cordless is the key if you're working around water.

I wouldn't even get the drill bit attachment or adapter - I would purchase a Cyclo brush, probably the Aqua for tires - and then insert the 5/16" threaded spindle, (on the back of the Cyclo brush), and tight up the chuck and cream-out the threads. I'm never going to use it any other way so I don't need to or care if I "protect" the threads. The brush by default becomes my "drill-only" brush.

Good questions - thank you for asking.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, me being mobile would this be a good product to use?

From what I understand, you simply spray tire and clean it? Then clean with a microfiber towel? If I’m wrong feel free to educate me.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by TrustJesus View Post

Mike, me being mobile would this be a good product to use?

From what I understand, you simply spray tire and clean it? Then clean with a microfiber towel? If I’m wrong feel free to educate me.
    Here's how I do it,

Spray on tire
    Machine scrub
    Wipe off excess gunk with COTTON SCRAP RAG

I don't use microfiber towels for this type of thing. Normal cotton towels, or what I call Scrap Rags, are more STOUT and work better PLUS the tire doesn't care if the towel you use is "soft and gentle".

To be honest, for doing mobile detailing - if you're not going to see the customer's car again, or at least not for a while, then you should be applying a solvent or oil based tire dressing that will last a LOT longer.

The products I'm recommending are less for detailers and more for enthusiasts who - because they own the car - can repeat the process to renew the nice look.

Make sense?

6. Likes RiverDog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,
    Thanks I get it

My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    To be honest, for doing mobile detailing - if you're not going to see the customer's car again, or at least not for a while, then you should be applying a solvent or oil based tire dressing that will last a LOT longer.

The products I'm recommending are less for detailers and more for enthusiasts who - because they own the car - can repeat the process to renew the nice look.
    What would be an example of one of these solvent/oil based dressings that last long, sold here in AG? The PBMG offerings are all water based to my knowledge. Does Meguiar’s have some oil based?

Post Thanks / Like

What would be an example of one of these solvent/oil based dressings that last long, sold here in AG? The PBMG offerings are all water based to my knowledge. Does Meguiar’s have some oil based?
    I believe has Griots several offerings one being aerosol. Also mothers back to black tire shine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

What would be an example of one of these solvent/oil based dressings that last long, sold here in AG?

Does Meguiar’s have some oil based?

Take a moment... and think about the name....

E-N-D-U-R-A-N-C-E

Meguiars Endurance High Gloss Tire Gel

Meguiars Endurance Tire Dressing Aerosol

Same idea - LONG LASTING --> means water insoluble

Meguiars NXT Generation Insane Shine Tire Coating

Meguiar's Ultimate Insane Shine Tire Coating

12. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Thanks for that honest tip.

Oddly enough, almost all the cars I've done for people have been "car guys" and are NOT into shiny tires. I have a ton of Megs Hyper Dressing sitting on a shelf.

Post Thanks / Like

@Mike,
    I like the Meguiar’s endurance tire gel. I would buy it again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast