autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

FLEX Power Tools Nicknames - All cool tools should have a nickname - not a part number -Mike Phillips

FLEX Power Tools Nicknames - All cool tools should have a nickname - not a part number -Mike Phillips

Talking about tools by their part numbers is a joke. I've shared my thoughts on this with most tool manufactures that we sell. Some get it. Some don't.

For example, when Makita launched their gear-driven polisher they did NOT give it a catchy name. It is referred to by it's part number and nobody is ever going to talk, speak or type out the part number.

PO5000C

The tool has in my opinion, also never "caught on". It has it's fans, but not like the BEAST has it's fans or RUPES and Griot's BOSS tools has fans.

So here's the nicknames for the FLEX tools,

FLEX 3401 - the original - The BEAST - and the BEAST is spelled with all capital letters. This is a 8mm gear-driven fixed orbit orbital polisher.

FLEX XCE CORDED - The Supa BEAST - Supa is short for super and only the first letter is capitalized. This is a 8mm gear-driven fixed orbit orbital polisher.

FLEX XCE CORDLESS - The CBEAST - All capital letters and the letter C before the word BEAST simply stands for cordless. This is a 8mm gear-driven fixed orbit orbital polisher.

FLEX XFE7-15 - The FINISHER - The FINISHER is spelled using all capital letters -this is a 15mm FREE SPINNING random orbital polisher

FLEX XFE15 - This is - The CORDLESS FINISHER. This is the cordless version of the corded FINISHER. At this time I'm not aware of any nicknames for this tool Like the corded FINISHER, this is a 15mm FREE SPINNING random orbital polisher.

FLEX PXE 80 - Is called The PiXiE - Basically you're running the letters PXE together when you say it and it comes out Pixie, which in mythology is a small fairy, or in this case a small tool. Chris Metcalf came up with the idea to type the part numbers in all capitals and the two letters i in lower case like this, PiXiE. I respect Chris and his twist on this nickname and that's why you see me type it out this way. I coined the term pixie, Chris came up with the spelling. In the new FLEX catalog FLEX called it the "Game Changer" for a nickname but that name has not caught on while the nickname pixie has caught on.

FLEX PE14-2-150 - This is simply - The PE14 - I am not aware of any nicknames for this tool but I would say that the part number, PE14 is the normal and accepted nickname for the full part number PE14-2-150, which no one is ever going to say or type to refer to this tool.

FLEX PE-150 - This is the cordless version of the PE14 and I am not aware of any nickname for this tool except to say - The cordless version of the PE14

Clear as mud?

2. Likes BigGar liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: FLEX Power Tools Nicknames - All cool tools should have a nickname - not a part number -Mike Phillips

Continued...

Here's the latest FLEX Power Tool catalog that documents what I wrote above in case anyone is wondering if there's any substance or credentials to what I wrote above.

Mike Phillips

Re: FLEX Power Tools Nicknames - All cool tools should have a nickname - not a part number -Mike Phillips

Continued....

Some people have asked or wondered about the differences between the 3 different version of the original 8mm gear-drive BEAST.

BEAST = 480 RPM and 9,600 OPM

Supa BEAST = 430 RPM and 8,600 OPM

CBEAST = 380 RPM and 7,600 OPM

Here's my take on the above 3 gear-driven tools

The BEAST
    If I REALLY want to bust out a job and plow through it as fast as humanly possible I use the BEAST.

The Supa BEAST
    If not trying to hit Warp Speed - I grab the Supa Beast, much more enjoyable to use. Amazing tool. Smoother, quieter, lighter and cooler than the original.

The CBEAST
    If I have an easy job, that means the car has only light swirls, scratches, etc. and I'm not in a hurry then I grab the CBEAST.

The BEAST family of tools includes,

FLEX XC 3401 VRG - the original and also known as The BEAST - and the BEAST is spelled with all capital letters. This is a 8mm gear-driven fixed orbit orbital polisher.

FLEX XCE 10-8 125 aka The Supa BEAST - Supa is short for super and only the first letter is capitalized. This is a 8mm gear-driven fixed orbit orbital polisher.

FLEX XCE 8-125 18.0 aka The CBEAST - All capital letters and the letter C before the word BEAST simply stands for cordless. This is a 8mm gear-driven fixed orbit orbital polisher.

Pads for the above tools

The BEAST and the Supa BEAST - Both with the 6" Backing Plate

Mike Phillips recommended foam pads for the FLEX Family of BEAST 8mm Gear-Driven Orbital Polishers

I get asked a LOT about which pads to get for the FLEX family of BEAST tools. If you don't know, the BEAST family of tools includes,

FLEX XC 3401 VRG - the original and also known as The BEAST - and the BEAST is spelled with all capital letters. This is a 8mm gear-driven fixed orbit orbital polisher.

FLEX XCE 10-8 125 aka The Supa BEAST - Supa is short for super and only the first letter is capitalized. This is a 8mm gear-driven fixed orbit orbital polisher.

FLEX XCE 8-125 18.0 aka The CBEAST - All capital letters and the letter C before the word BEAST simply stands for cordless. This is a 8mm gear-driven fixed orbit orbital polisher.

As of February 9th, 2021 - here are my preferred choices for pads for compounding, polishing, finishing work and when using AIOs

For heavy correction work I like the Lake Country 6.5" Force Hybrid Orange Foam Cutting Pad. When doing this type of work you should have at least 6 pads per car.

For polishing, finishing work or when using AIOs, I like the new RUPES yellow and white CP foam pads. The white finishing pad is NOT the softest finishing pad on the market, so if you're working on soft paint you may want to go with a Buff & Shine white finishing pad or a Lake Country 6.5" BLACK Force Hybrid pad. It does work great on most paints though.

For a complete set of pads, cutting to finishing, the Buff & Shine 7" Uro-Tec Pads are a good match for the BEAST tools. They would be better if Buff & Shine redesigned them and created a pad with a tick more taper like the old, now discontinued RUPES 7" foam pads.

7 inch RUPES Coarse Wool Polishing Pad

I have also been using these for when I need more aggressive paint correction.

Here's the links to get them on the AG Store

6.5 inch Lake Country Force Hybrid Orange Cutting Pad

Buff & Shine 7" Uro-Tec Foam Pads

RUPES 180 mm / 7" Foam Pads

7 inch RUPES Coarse Wool Polishing Pad

NOTE: RUPES likes to use metric measurements for their line of products because the metric system is more accurate when it comes to small dimensions. This "forum" and the AG store being in the United States of America does in fact cater to the world, but I think it's also fair to say that a lot of our customers are here in the states and because the metric system never took-off or never caught-on here in the U.S., most Americans still use the U.S. Standard system for measuring. Thus the reason you see 180mm or 7" - they are close to the same in measure.

Make sense?

Also - for what it's worth, I have not arrived to the point where I like the new RUPES Blue foam cutting pad. I have not given up on it yet, but I find myself still preferring the Lake Country Orange Force Hybrid pad for cutting, compounding, paint correction - whatever you prefer to call aggressive work.

5. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Continue.....

Backing Plates and Pad Recommendations for FLEX Tools

Supa BEAST and CBEAST Backing Plate Swap by Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

I’ll add. These are my Personal nicknames and not official

Flex PE8 mini rotary = The Mini Spinny

The cordless finisher = The CFin

The cordless rotary = The CSpin

The BW-18 = The Blower
    Jim

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post

I’ll add. These are my Personal nicknames and not official

Flex PE8 mini rotary = The Mini Spinny

The cordless finisher = The CFin

The cordless rotary = The CSpin

The BW-18 = The Blower

I'm certainly not the judge or the arbitrator of these types of things, I'm just a guy that types a lot about these types of things. Probably as much or more than most on Planet Earth. I don't like saying part numbers for tool names and I don't like typing out part numbers for tool names and to be honest, they simply don't roll off the lips.

I like these two,

The Mini Spinny and the CSpin, I'm not sure about the CFIN or The Blower. Need something just a tick more catchy.

I don't ever use the PE8 so I rarely type about it. Whatever it can do I can do using the PE14 with lower RPM options.

I use the FLEX cordless blower all the time. Used it to blow out dressing around lettering on tires on Monday. Blew out the leaves in the garage before shooting a video yesterday, but The Blower?

Thanks for you contributions Jim, they are always much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

You don’t like “the Blower”??? haha. Kinda fits I think. For example... “I want to dry the car off. Can you hand me the Blower please?!”

CFin just short for Cordless Finisher. Just trying to keep with your C**** format since you named the CBEAST.

They work for me anyway.

All fun aside, each and every Flex tool I own are great. Yes they are expensive but they all are true workhorses with quality build and quality function. They make me money at the end of the day and are dependable. Quality stuff for sure.

When I die, I hope the undertaker has a Flex to polish the casket!

10. Likes Thomkirby, BigGar liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Need a clean URL to e-mail

Mike Phillips