autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

How To: Clean & Protect a Vinyl Top with Pinnacle Black Label Leather Vinyl Coating

How To: Clean & Protect a Vinyl Top with Pinnacle Black Label Leather & Vinyl Coating

Pinnacle Black Label Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner and Leather & Vinyl Coating

Recently I had a 1937 Ford Woody here at Autogeek for a couple of projects.

1: How-to Video on the Scuff & Buff Wetsanding Technique

2: Review & How-To: GYEON Pure Ceramic Coating + GYEON Compound & Polish

Before starting on either of the two above project however, I needed to do a waterless wash to the Woody to get the outside clean. This is a garage-kept car that has recently been repainted and also recently had a brand new vinyl top installed over the roof. The car was dirty, from top to bottom so I did my normal SONAX Glass Cleaner Rinseless Wash and during the process I was able to FEEL how rough the vinyl top felt to the touch. My guess being that after the new vinyl top was installed, the car has seen a lot of action in the way of upgrading and mechanical restoration and in the process, it probably has not only loose dirt but dry spray plus who knows what else has landed and bonded to the top in the way of a dirt-film.

Here's how the top looked AFTER the rinseless wash. Looks pretty clean huh?

Step 1: Clean the vinyl top

Here's some Pinnacle Black Label Hide-Soft Cleaner plus two white microfiber towels. I like to use light colored towels for projects like this so I can see by the dirt on the towels, just how much dirt was on the top.

The Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner is a thin, water-like cleaner, so don't expect a thicker lotion-like product.

First I whetted one of the microfiber towels with the product.

Then proceeded to scrub the vinyl with the cleaner and the towel.

Here you can see I cleaned a section about 2' x 2' - basically what I could reach and scrub with force while standing on a work platform.

This is a surprising amount of dirt and grime to come off this one section considering I already did a rinseless wash to the top and entire car.

I guess this is what is meant by - Deep Cleaning - that and some dedicated Elbow Grease supplied by yours truly.

I continued working down the length of the driver's side of the top.

In this shot, you can easily tell the side I cleaned is a richer, even a tick darker than the passenger side, which I have not used the cleaner on yet.

Step 2: Massage the Pinnacle Black Label Leather & Vinyl Coating over and into the vinyl top.

For this I'm using the hand backing pad that comes with a SONAX Clay Disc, because it has Velcro on one side and a handy velcro strap on the other side. I've attached a 6.5" Lake Country white foam THINPRO polishing pad to the face of the hand backing pad.

NOTE: After applying to about half of the top I switched over to a Lake Country 6.5" BLACK foam THINPRO pad as I found the white foam polishing pad to be to stiff for this type of product application and massaging of the surface.

Spray, spray spray.... I dampened the face of the foam pad with product.

Then I sprayed the product directly onto the vinyl top.

Now comes the rubbing and massaging part.

I moved down the top from the back of the car to the front of the car.

I applied and worked-in a heavy or wet application of the product.

After taking a few side-by-side, before and after pictures I proceeded to rub down the passenger side.

I let the product soak in for about an hour while I left to eat my lunch and get caught up on my computer.

Step 3: Wipe off any excess using a clean, dry microfiber towel.

After lunch, I removed any excess to leave behind hind a crisp, rich looking vinyl top that will show-off better on this streetrod.

This looks and FEELS so much nicer than when this car first arrived.

Final Results

Here's the final look after doing all the vinyl detailing plus the wetsanding and ceramic coating procedures to this Woody Streetrod.

The Leather & Vinyl Coating is a favorite product of mine for maintaining both leather and vinyl interiors as well as all the plastic found in the engine compartment of most cars. After application and wiping off any excess it leaves a non-sticky, rich, dark looking finish that also feels great to the touch. Besides working great on car interiors, it appears to be just as suited for exterior vinyl surfaces also.

On Autogeek.com

Pinnacle Black Label Leather & Vinyl Coating

Pinnacle Black Label Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner

Mike Phillips

Re: How To: Clean & Protect a Vinyl Top with Pinnacle Black Label Leather Vinyl Coating

Continued....

From the Autogeek Store

Pinnacle Black Label Leather & Vinyl Coating

The BEST protection in interior care

Pinnacle Black Label Leather & Vinyl Coating is a nano-polymer interior coating that protects treated surfaces against the damaging effects of moisture, oils and salt from skin, accidental spills, and more. Coated surfaces will be well protected against UV rays and other common contaminants that plague an interior from every day use. Use on dashboards, leather seats, and any other leather or vinyl surface that would benefit from superior protection. Coated surfaces will exhibit a low-gloss sheen that doesn’t attract dirt or dust.

Black Label Leather & Vinyl Coating provides long-lasting protection on leather and vinyl interior surfaces. Packed full of UV-blocking nano-polymers, Leather & Vinyl Coating provides longer-lasting protection than traditional water and oil based interior protectants. Your vehicle’s leather and vinyl surfaces will be protected for months, not weeks, with Black Label Leather & Vinyl Coating. Hyper concentrated formula means a single 8 ounce bottle will yield up to 50 applications!

• Black Label Leather & Vinyl Coating protects interior surfaces for months, not weeks
    • Use on leather, vinyl, and plastic surfaces; coated surfaces will be protected for months.
    • Black Label Leather & Vinyl Coating protects leather against abrasion
    • Protects leather against abrasion and dye transfer from blue jeans.
    • In one simple step Black Label Leather & Vinyl Coating shields delicate interior components against the effects of UV rays, body oil, salt, and accidental spills. The coating is resistant to extreme temperatures, making it an ideal choice for vehicles parked outside in the sun. While the coating provides a durable barrier of protection, it doesn’t cause leather or vinyl surfaces to stiffen or harden; Leather & Vinyl Coating imparts a smooth, tactile feel on treated surfaces.

Black Label Leather & Vinyl Coating forms such a strong bond on leather surfaces that it resists abrasion and dye transfer from blue jeans.

Use Black Label Leather & Vinyl Coating on:

1. Leather
    2. Vinyl
    3. Plastic
    4. Wood trim
    5. Carbon fiber trim
    6. Aluminum trim

Like other products that bear the Black Label name, Black Label Leather & Vinyl Coating is extremely concentrated. Just one or two sprays are all that’s needed to coat an entire seat, or door panel. Unlike greasy, sticky interior protectants that streak and smear, Leather & Vinyl Coating applies crystal clear and dries to the touch. The low-gloss finish looks attractive on light and dark colored interiors.

Mike Phillips

Re: How To: Clean & Protect a Vinyl Top with Pinnacle Black Label Leather Vinyl Coating

More.....

Pinnacle Black Label Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner

Removes dirt and grime while preserving leather’s natural oils

Pinnacle Black Label Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner is a pH-balanced leather shampoo designed to deep clean leather and vinyl surfaces. Formulated with mink oil and lanolin, Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner forgoes inexpensive petroleum ingredients and instead relies on advanced chemistry. Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner deep cleans leather surfaces without removing the natural oils.

Not all leather cleaners are created equal, and Black Label Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner is proof. Formulated without inexpensive silicones, petroleum, or gloss agents, Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner gently lifts embedded dirt and grime without removing leather’s natural oils. Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner’s formula is so advanced that it actually nourishes the leather as you clean it, hydrating the surface with mink oil and lanolin.

• Black Label Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner is pH balanced.
    • Gently cleans leather without removing natural oils.
    • Black Label Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner works great on vinyl surfaces too.
    • Cleans vinyl and plastic interior components.
    • Black Label Hide Soft Leather Cleaner cleans without removing oils from the surface.
    • Will not leave surfaces sticky or shiny.

Formulating a product to clean leather is easy, but what’s not easy is formulating a leather cleaner that doesn’t strip leather of its natural oils, causing premature cracking and fading. Unlike inexpensive leather cleaners or high-octane “all purpose cleaners” (do you really trust your leather with a product that cleans tires too?), Black Label Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner effectively penetrates the leather, pulls dirt out of the pores, and wipes clean. No artificial gloss or slippery surface is left behind – just clean leather!

Black Label Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner is safe and effective on protected, coated, and semi-aniline leather. Thanks to its natural formula that is comprised of water-based surfactants, Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner will not cause delicate stitching to dry out or deteriorate. Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner is also safe on late model Ford trucks with King Ranch leather!

Black Label Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner is gentle on leather, but tough on grime. Use this pH-balanced leather cleaner to remove embedded dirt, body oils, make up, and more! Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner dispenses in a thick lather that stays on the surface, allowing maximum agitation. As you agitate the leather with a brush or terrycloth towel, the mink oil and lanolin are absorbed, leaving the surface feeling soft and supple. The rich leather fragrance will restore the “new car” smell that everyone loves.

Black Label Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner is part of a two-step cleaning and conditioning system. For best results, apply Black Label Hide-Soft Leather Conditioner after using the cleaner. This pure conditioner will feed the leather a more concentrated blend of mink oil and lanolin, while providing long-lasting UV protection. Leather surfaces that are regularly cleaned and conditioned with these two products will look and feel new for years.

Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I'm planning on adding this into my 2 step ceramic coating package for the interior cleaning portion.Looks like it makes everything look amazing! Can you use it on the steering wheel as pictured, or is it reccomended to apply this product as you would a dressing on the interior, and avoid areas like the steering wheel and pedals? What about leather wrapped steering wheels? Is this a good option for those?

I was thinking I could clean leather wrapped steering wheels with the PBL Hide Soft Leather Cleaner if its not too dirty, and microfiber gloves as Ive just read your steering wheel cleaning article. Otherwise if the steering wheel is more neglected, pre clean with Meguiar's Leather Cleaner, then the PBL Hide Soft Leather Cleaner, condition with PBL Leather Balm, wipe off excess and then coat with the PBL Leather and vinyl coating.

I cant wait to give this stuff a try on engine compartments too! How To: Clean & Protect a Vinyl Top with Pinnacle Black Label Leather Vinyl Coating

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app