autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

If you spend enough time behind any tool you can make it dance on paint -Mike Phillips

If you spend enough time behind any tool you can make it dance on paint -Mike Phillips

I share this saying enough, need to turn it into an article that I can share quick and easy...

No one is an expert the first time they use any tool. I'm not a GREAT welder but I know how to stick weld. I'll guarantee you the FIRST time a struck an arc and joined two pieces of metal together it wasn't pretty.

My point is, I am skilled and experienced enough at this stage in my detailing career I can take any tool and make it look really easy to use, even if it's not the easiest tool to use. I can make the tools of our trade as I like to say,

Dance on paint

But I couldn't do this the first time I used any tool. It took years of investing a lot of dirty, hard work behind the tool. This same thing applies to everyone else. If you purchase a free spinning orbital polisher you might struggle to maintain pad rotation for the first few cars you buff out. But with time - you'll lean how to hold the BODY of the tool do accomplish good pad rotation, even into curved panels. (as best as can be done).

The first time you use the FLEX BEAST you may feel the tool trying to walk around on a panel instead of glide to where you want it to go. But buff out a few dozen cars and after you get used to the gear-driven characteristics of this tool instead of the tool walking around on the paint you will MAKE this tool dance for you.

Spending time behind the tool looks like this,

It's hard dirty work. And you're usually making some other guy's car look great. That's the deal if you want to become great at machine polishing paint.

You have to pay your dues, you have to spend time behind the tool.

2. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes zmcnulty, mbkite, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: If you spend enough time behind any tool you can make it dance on paint -Mike Phillips

Continued....

If you put the time in behind the buffer you can make any tool dance on the paint...

It's not just about the tool - it's about you.

Once you make your decision as to which tool you're going to go with, the next thing is to start spending time behind the tool. This means start buffing out cars. After you buffed out plenty of cars, that is you have hundreds of hours behind the tool of your choice, then with the right pads and products you should be able to make magic happen.

Making these two tools dance on paint...

Edging with the FLEX 3401 at one of our detailing classes

How to use the Flex 3401 to remove swirls & water spots

Buffing a tight area UP ON EDGE using a RUPES BigFoot 21

Custom Paint Job - 1980 Corvette - RUPES & Gyeon - Extreme Show Car Makeover at Autogeek

Buffing on edge with the RUPES BigFoot 21 Mark II

I cover this technique on page 64 of my RUPES how-to book.

Mike Phillips

Re: If you spend enough time behind any tool you can make it dance on paint -Mike Phillips

I love this article from a recent class here at Autogeek....

Who attends a 3-day class at Autogeek at $1,495.00?

Anyone can buff out a thin strip of paint wit a 1" pad. Of course, you have to buy the tool first.

RUPES iBrid Nanon Long Neck Start Kit

This is Louise. She flew from California to Stuart, Florida simply to learn how to work on her daily driver, a 2014 Mustang Convertible. She is a Psychiatrists with her own practice and is a Professor at a College. She is NOT a detailer.

How to turn a 7" pad into a 1" pad

On page 64 of my RUPES how-to book, I share how you can go up on edge with the RUPES BigFoot 21 and a 7" pad and the isolated pressure to only a small section of the edge of the paint will cause the pad to REVERSE ROTATE but --> maintain pad rotation, as in NOT stall out.

Once you understand this unique characteristic to this free spinning long stroke orbital polisher you discover this enables you to buff the paint along an edge or buff out a thin section of paint between a raised body line and an edge.

This technique is NOT for the timid. This technique is not something you want to learn on another person's toy or expensive car. I discovered this unique characteristic while buffing out the 1998 Ferrari 355 F1 Spyder shown on the cover of the RUPES book and discussed in the book back when I detailed this Ferrari for this project back in in 2014.

NOTE: It is vitally important that if you choose to use this technique that the Velcro on the backing plate and on the back of the buffing pad is NOT worn out. If the velcro is worn out, it's possible that when you go up on edge and put increased pressure to a small portion of and edge of the face of the pad that the force can cause the attachment between the two velcro surfaces to let go and the pad can fly off. It's happened to me and after it happened one time I always test the attachment strength of the two velcro surfaces before attempting this technique.

Going up on edge with a RUPES BigFoot 21

Not the hand positions to hold the tool

If you have a copy of my RUPES book you've seen and read about hand positions. Sometime, the last thing you want to do is hold the hand grip at the head of the tool as it block your view of what the pad is doing and where the pad is touching.

Focused attention....

Eyes on the target...

Louise can do it.... anyone can do it. But you must spend time behind the tool.

(taking one of my classes can help flatten out the learning curve too )

5. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that the rupes course foam pad? I love the wool course but every time I use the foam it just slings everywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That lady is awesome!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of music do you think polishers like to dance too?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Spending time behind the tool looks like this,

It's hard dirty work. And you're usually making some other guy's car look great. That's the deal if you want to become great at machine polishing paint.

You have to pay your dues, you have to spend time behind the tool.

Needed to see this. You’re the man, Mike. Thank you.

10. Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In all the detailing I have done---only used the peanut a couple of times.

All the work was done using only one machine---Rupes 15 long throw. Done both narrow panels and large panels.

Much easier, less cords and less stressful.

Just let her rip...You'll be fine!

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

12. Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

This article has been a true inspiration for me. I don't have the BigFoot 21 but my polisher does exhibit the same characteristic when going up on edge.

So now every time I need to buff a thin panel I try going up on edge first before switching to a smaller tool.

I seriously picture this lady and then go to work. Or when I need to go low I picture Mike laying on the floor polishing that Corvette. Just little mental tricks I use to finish strong when I'm tired.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast