autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

How to polish oxidized stained bright work - BLACKFIRE Metal Polish and Sealant - 1937 Packard Super Eight

How to polish oxidized stained bright work - BLACKFIRE Metal Polish and Sealant - 1937 Packard Super Eight

BLACKFIRE Metal Polish and Sealant

This classic, all original 1937 Packard Super Eight came in for a how-to video on how to use Meguiar's #7 to restore original single stage paints.

Thing is, I couldn't make the dull paint shiny and send it out of here with dull, oxidized and stained bright work.

So while I did some polishing work I took a few pictures to show how I tackled this metal polishing project.

Mike Phillips

Re: How to polish oxidized stained bright work - BLACKFIRE Metal Polish and Sealant - 1937 Packard Super Eight

Continued....

I started out machine polishing as much of the brite work as I could reach.

After machine polishing what I could reach, I moved onto hand polishing. I had an old GYEON Marine Coating microfiber applicator pad that had hardened from the coating so I re-purposed it for polishing metal.

How to avoid RUST on CHROME

It's important to clean any tight areas like seams, crevices, etc. Because these areas are more difficult to clean most people don't clean them really well. What happens over time is the hard to clean areas get a dirt film build-up. This dirt film holds MOISTURE against the chrome and this is how rust starts. If you keep chrome clean it will not rust.

Mike Phillips

Re: How to polish oxidized stained bright work - BLACKFIRE Metal Polish and Sealant - 1937 Packard Super Eight

Continued....

Sealing the surface

After applying and working the metal polish over everything I could reach and wiping off the residue, next I applied the BF Metal Sealant. Andre tells me this product gets great reviews. I rarely ever see cars I detail again so I don't see how products hold-up over time.

Basically apply and massage the sealant over all the surfaces you polished and allow it to dry to a haze, then wipe off the residue.

4. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued....

Here's the results and keep in mind, this chrome and stainless steel is 83 years old. So there's now way it's going to come back and look brand new but all things considered, it looks great.

Final results.....

On Autogeek.com

BLACKFIRE Metal Polish

BLACKFIRE Metal Sealant

Orange Heavy Duty Nitrile Gloves - Pick your size

Mike Phillips

And....

If you want to see how I restored the paint, check out this write-up.

Original Single Stage - 1937 Packard - The Number #7 Rub Down Technique

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn, Mike.

Take an Advil, and rest your arms after that one.

It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work, I did a paint job on a 32 Packard 7 passenger touring back in 1980, that straight 8 ran like a finely tuned watch.