autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

How-to Wetsand using the Scuff and Buff Technique - 1937 Ford Woody

How-to Wetsand using the Scuff and Buff Technique - 1937 Ford Woody

Scuff & Buff is a term I coined a few years ago for LIGHTLY sanding paint to reduce orange peel, mottling and surface texture using high grit sanding papers or sanding discs.

Factory thin paint and custom paint with an unknown history

The Scuff & Buff Technique is for cars where the only way to make a major improvement in the D.O.I. and overall appearance is via sanding BUT - the paint is thin, like factory paint.

Or you have a car with a custom paint job, which normally means it has thicker paint BUT you don't have any background history on the car or more specifically, the paint. By this I mean, you don't know if it has been sanded once or twice? You don't know what kind of sandpaper or sanding discs were used? You don't know what kind of compound was used. These factors have a huge influence on how much paint is removed in the process and thus how much paint is left on the car.

Single Stage Metallic Paint

Also - I use this technique for reducing orange peel on single stage metallic paint jobs. The problem with sanding and even buffing on single stage metallic paint is that you are actually sanding and buffing ON the METALLIC FLAKE and if you sand or buff to much you leave a pattern in the paint that I call Tiger Stripes.

There's enough orange peel in this custom paint job that it distracts from the beauty of the car. The owner has given me permission to do th Scuff & Buff Technique to flatten out the paint to increase the D.O.I. and overall appearance value.

After the machine damp sanding, I'll be sealing the paint including the wood panels with a new coating and then writing a review.

Here's how she looks as pulled into the garage just moments ago...

The bumpy looking paint that surrounds the perimeter of the overhead florescent lights is Orange Peel.

You can see it here too....

Stay tuned....

2. Likes Aaryn NZ, JKDesign, axel06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How-to Wetsand using the Scuff and Buff Technique - 1937 Ford Woody

Can't wait to see the results!

Mike Phillips

Tomorrow - Tuesday, May 5th at 3:00pm Eastern Time - click on over to the Autogeek Facebook page.

Autogeek Facebook Page

Here's what I'll be showing,

1: Scuff & Buff Technique to lightly machine sand paint to reduce orange peel and surface texture

2: How to use the FLEX PiXiE to machine sand using 3M Trizact Discs

3: How to remove 100% of your sanding marks via a rotary polisher and orbital polisher with GYEON Compound

4: How to remove your holograms using an orbital polisher with GYEON Polish

5: How to prep the paint for a coating with an orbital polisher and GYEON Primer

6: How to install the GYEON Q2 Mohs Ceramic Paint Coating

You are encouraged to ask questions during the Live Broadcast via the Autogeek Facebook page or post them below.

5. Likes axel06, luckydawg liked this post
    Mike Phillips

We go live in about 10 minutes

Here's a short video showing everything all set-up

Mike Phillips - Live Wetsanding Coming Up!

7. Likes JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What a great info and vid Mike, as always! thank you for your time and efort to educate us, realy appreciate it

Post Thanks / Like

How much value are these live video feeds???

Incredible amount of information shared & the real deal too. All very practical & value beyond comprehension. Thank you Mike, & thank you Yancy.

I caught a fair bit of this mornings one but with NZ now in Lockdown Level 3, I am allowed to trade at the shop & this means these videos kick off at 7am so I have to catch up on the rest of this morning’s one & because of the content of last weeks one - I want to watch that one with full concentration because, well - that kinda thing “floats my boat”.

Top work team, another home run.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Reno View Post

What a great info and vid Mike, as always! thank you for your time and efort to educate us, realy appreciate it

Thanks for watching and commenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post

How much value are these live video feeds???

Incredible amount of information shared & the real deal too. All very practical & value beyond comprehension. Thank you Mike, & thank you Yancy.

Hi Aaryn,

Thank you for watching and commenting.

Post Thanks / Like

My mistake

Post Thanks / Like

I like watching these videos. Keep them coming please! I always try to keep learning and have an open mind, even on what may seem like a simple task.

The Nanoskin pads are truly an awesome idea. I love the 3inch one especially. Now I will be ordering some. Thanks for sharing, Mike.

One thing I also liked that you stressed is that it is a major improvement, not perfection. That is one thing a lot of new detailers can really get hurt on if they are detailing for money.
    Realistic, safe and practical expectations with a dramatic change are the desired results. 100% Perfection is usually never a reality unless someone is willing to pay for it and even then there are limitations due to unknown paint factors.
    Jim