autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

SONAX Glass Cleaner as a Prep Wash

SONAX Glass Cleaner as a Prep Wash

Anyone that has followed any of my detailing projects over the last year or so have probably seen me doing something completely different?

What you say?

Using a glass cleaner for both a rinseless wash and a waterless wash.

Why?

Because when I'm PREPPING a car to be buffed, i.e. when I'm going to wash a car to be buffed, i don't want to use products that do more than clean. For example, most spray detailers, waterless washes and rinseless washed all advertise they CLEAN and LEAVE the paint shiny and/or protected.

It's the ingredients in the products that make the paint shiny or protected that I simply don't want or need when getting a car ready to MACHINE BUFF. It doesn't even make sense. AND if the car is a modern car with PLASTIC trim, using any of these beautifying products leaves enough shine ingredients on the car that in most case - painter's tape won't stick to the plastic trim.

So a couple of years ago, I was thinking about how well the SONAX glass cleaner works to clean dirty glass without leaving any streaks.

Streaks would me some type of residue

So in my brain, I'm thinking, if the product cleans well and leaves a streak-free glass, it only makes sense it will clean paint really well and leave nothing behind on the paint.

So for at least a couple of years now I've been using SONAX Glass Cleaner as my prep wash like you would use a waterless wash. That is spray the car down with the glass cleaner and then wipe. And for really dirty cars, I use it for a Rinseless Wash.

So today I needed to clean a project car for tool, pad and product testing, so while I could have simply cleaned the car I figured, might as well take a few pictures and share this in an actual article because maybe it will help someone else always dealing with the same problems with spray detailers, waterless washes and rinseless washes.

How to use SONAX Glass Cleaner as a Rinseless Wash

So the difference between a waterless wash and a rinseless wash is with a waterless wash you're spraying product directly onto the car, spreading it around and then wiping off the residue. A rinseless wash is where you mix up 3-4 gallons of washing solution and dunk your towels into the solution. Then remove one towels, squish out most of the excess cleaning solution and wipe down a panel. Next dry that panel with a dry towel. Then repeat this around the car.

The primary difference is you're using more water or MORE LUBRICATION when a car has a higher level of dirt.

Make sense?

So here's how I washed the 1946 Dodge Panel Truck today and then I used the SONAX Glass Cleaner (in the spray bottle)

I put about 3-4 gallons of of water in a bucket and then poured in about 4-5 ounces of glass cleaner.

Then I take my stirring stick and mix the water and glass cleaner thoroughly.

Then dunk about a dozen clean, inspected towels into the solution.

Ready to go....

And here's the old 2-door Dodge after a SONAX Glass Cleaner Rinseless Wash and Clay Towel.

Works for me...

On Autogeek.com

SONAX Glass Cleaner

SONAX Glass Cleaner 10 Liter Container This is about 2.6 gallons

2. Likes Diner, bob m liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: SONAX Glass Cleaner as a Prep Wash

Great approach & thanks for the tips Mike.

I often wonder (not all the time) if when I’m having issues with a compound gumming up whilst polishing, whether or not there’s something on the surface that I haven’t removed properly. Perhaps I should go this route if & when I come across that situation again.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post

I often wonder (not all the time) if when I’m having issues with a compound gumming up whilst polishing, whether or not there’s something on the surface that I haven’t removed properly.

I doubt that would be the cause. I've seen people say this can happen but I'm not sure I buy it.

5. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you do the same with other glass cleaners or is there something to the formulation of the Sonax cleaner that lends itself to this approach?

Post Thanks / Like

So when you use it as a clay lube, do you use it at full strength?

It makes one wonder what other products have multiple uses.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Mike,

I’ll start using the Sonax glass cleaner for the prep wash before machine polishing, but could any typical glass cleaner work? Thinking I could save money by buying in bulk at Sam’s Club or Costco’s.

Secondly, any waterless wash recommendations for when the car has already been machine polished?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by lopezi View Post

Can you do the same with other glass cleaners or is there something to the formulation of the Sonax cleaner that lends itself to this approach?
    I have two answers.

1: SONAX recommends their glass cleaner for use with their Clay Pad. Their Clay Pad is basically a Nanoskin-type rubber disk replacement for normal car detailing clay. So someone at SONAX has qualified their glass cleaner as up to the job as both a glass cleaner and a clay lube for polymerized rubber clay replacements.

2: I've been to SONAX in Germany and toured their manufacturing plant. They are HUGE. When I quit Meguiar's in 2009, Meguiar's had 5 full time chemists. Last I checked, SONAX has 30 full time chemists.

The point I'm trying to make is SONAX is a major player in our industry and they make top shelf, 5-star products and by products I mean chemistry. I TRUST SONAX products and I also LIKE the SONAX Glass Cleaner for the various ways I use it and show using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Me Time View Post

So when you use it as a clay lube, do you use it at full strength?

It makes one wonder what other products have multiple uses.
    Yes.

It's like cleaning your car twice. First you wash the car, then when "I" use SONAX Glass Cleaner as a clay lube, because I'm wiping the car down a SECOND time - it's like washing/cleaning the car a second time.

In my classes and in my own approach - I teach that a GREAT detail job starts with a GREAT wash job.

Quote Originally Posted by jas02ta View Post

Hello Mike,

I’ll start using the Sonax glass cleaner for the prep wash before machine polishing, but could any typical glass cleaner work? Thinking I could save money by buying in bulk at Sam’s Club or Costco’s.
    I would say "no".

Most cheap glass cleaners are exactly that... cheap glass cleaners.

Your mileage may vary...

Quote Originally Posted by jas02ta View Post

Secondly, any waterless wash recommendations for when the car has already been machine polished?
    That's a good question... last time I was really into waterless washing for taking care of my own car it was back when I had a Monster Truck and I was using a waterless wash from the Marine 31 line.

Here's an article I wrote to showcase this product,

Frequent Car Care is Easy Car Care

he talking...

Before
    Hasn't been wiped clean since last Friday after work. Didn't rain all weekend but it's parked outside 24/7.

Products Used
    4 plush Microfiber Towels and Marine 31 Stern to Bow Waterless Wash & Wax with Carnauba

To be honest, I would have to re-visit a lot of newer products on the market and give them a test to know how I feel today.

I think I would look first at the Griot's Garage Rinseless Wash & Wax. If I remember one of the features was how easy it wipes off and how fast it "flashes" for the wipe-off. These are characteristics I like for a wipe-on, wipe-off product.

Griot's Garage Rinseless Wash & Wax 16 oz.

For $20.00 - that's not that much to test a product out for yourself in our climate on your car and whatever LSP you're using on your car. IF you do get it - be sure to get the matching secondary bottle to make diluting it quick, fast and easy.

Griot's Garage Rinseless Wash & Wax 15:1 Dilution Bottle

Hope that helps...

10. Thanks Me Time thanked for this post
    Likes Me Time liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I currently use the Sonax glass cleaner for my cars...but for cleaning.....glass. I would have never thought to used them for anything else and actually, if some spray got on my paint I would jump to wipe it off. Anyhow, thanks for the heads up on this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Hope that helps...

Yes indeed! That fully answered my questions. Thank you Mike!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I think Griots has a rinseless wash that doesn't leave protection behind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast