autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Coronavirus - Covid-19 - Safe Detailing?

Coronavirus - Covid-19 - Safe Detailing?

How is everyone protecting themselves from Corona virus aka Covid-19 when dealing with customer's cars?

The hidden problem is a customer that is infected BUT doesn't know it.

You clean their interior and now you have it. If you have employees, you're employees are at risk. You go home and now your family has it. Even if you're only doing paint correction and coatings, you're likely going to touch the key fob, the steering wheel, etc.

I think we as a detailing community need to discuss this topic and come up with a plan to keep ourselves and our family's safe. Here at Autogeek we do offer products that clean and sanitize surfaces, I don't have an exact list but I can get one. We also carry a large assortment of nitrile gloves, which I shared in this article.

How to avoid germs - Gas Station

I wrote and posted that article at the end of January, as I type it's been 45 days since then and since then the virus has traveled outside of China and to most other countries. I for one continue to wear nitrile gloves when getting gas as a simple pro-active precaution to protect myself and my circle of family, friends and co-workers. I suggest everyone consider this simple health safety practice.

To self-quarantine your detailing business means not detailing. Not good.

It's super important not to panic but it's also important to be smart in how you interact each day until we're past this situation.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?

2. Thanks Thomkirby, axel06 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coronavirus - Covid-19 - Safe Detailing?

Gloves and masks are a no brainer. But as we begin the process of cleaning the interior if a steam cleaner is available I would just start with the process of steaming all of the surfaces as I enter the car. I think that a good quality steamer can disinfect most surfaces of the vehicle pretty quickly to give us access to actually get the job done

Mike Phillips

Also just to add...

I don't know the answer as to how to 100% protect yourself from exposure to this virus when handling other people's cars so please feel free to chime-in and share your thoughts.

Will it come down to full Hazmat suits?

Also - moving forward, while no one wants this virus issue in our lives and in our world, my guess is there's going to be an uptick in business with people wanting to have their car's cleaned and sanitized.

Not exactly the opportunity any of us wants but the reality is - there's going to be a market for this type of detailing.

Let's hope anyone calling a detailer for this type of work is honest and upfront to let the detailer know the reason they want their car interior cleaned and sanitized is because they know it's contaminated.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a list of chemicals that are effective against viruses, according to the US CDC: Chemical Disinfectants | Disinfection & Sterilization Guidelines | Guidelines Library | Infection Control | CDC

The only automotive cleaner I've found that contains any of these is Gtechniq Tri-Clean. Any others?

6. Likes Thomkirby, RamAirV1, axel06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can any of you professionals comment on what happens when one runs Clorox wipes across automotive interiors, especially over time?

8. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Likes Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike for the reminder on the topic of keeping safe in these days.

For a few comments I have heard is that most of our APC products will do just fine for typical disinfectants on bacterial borne germs.

Microfiber towels are very effective in pulling those off the surface. Yet the COVID-19 is a virus so is not easily eliminated as our everyday cleaning.

Several YouTubers are jumping on the Ozone service as one option but I doubt it will kill a virus but it does help in the total package of services.

Looking forward to more comments and sharing of how to deal with this for our own cars and YES keeping safe and healthy while detailing for profit.

Post Thanks / Like

APC does not contain any disinfectant and does not kill nCoV by itself (unlike a Clorox wipe). It only functions in the same way that hand soap functions: by loosening the virus from what it's attached to and flushing it away in the rinse. Rinsing body parts sends the virus down the drain which is a great place for it. I fear that wiping auto interiors treated with simple APC just moves the virus around. If anyone has credible citations to the contrary I would love to read them!

Post Thanks / Like

I’m thinking of ordering a second Chief steamer

Post Thanks / Like

How long does nCoV survive on hard and soft surfaces?

WHO:
    It is not certain how long the virus that causes COVID-19 survives on surfaces, but it seems to behave like other coronaviruses. Studies suggest that coronaviruses (including preliminary information on the COVID-19 virus) may persist on surfaces for a few hours or up to several days. This may vary...
    USA CDC:
    It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.
    Professor Günter Kampf from the Institute of Hygiene and Environmental Medicine at the Greifswald University Hospital:
    The evaluated studies, which focus on the pathogens Sars coronavirus and Mers coronavirus, showed, for example, that the viruses can persist on surfaces and remain infectious at room temperature for up to nine days. On average, they survive between four and five days. "Low temperature and high air humidity further increase their lifespan"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post

14. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast