autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coronavirus - Covid-19 - Safe Detailing?

This is from the National ozone Association:
    This is great news for anyone with an ozone generator, and motivation to buy a professional ozone generator with a built-in timer. The timer is very crucial as there is no need to over-treat the building with ozone. A one-hour treatment at 4-5 ppm is sufficient to kill all types of pathogens including Ebola, MRSA, SARS, and coronaviruses. Studies show that 30-60 minutes at 4-5 ppm ozone saturation will kill off nearly all kinds of bacteria and viruses.

Elevated levels of ozone area only applied in vacant buildings/areas because ozone is a respiratory irritant. However, the ozone reverts to typical O2 in about 30 minutes. Or, just let in fresh air for a few minutes to allow normal activity to resume. Repeat the treatment as desired, and follow the other known disease prevention steps.

2. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dano shine View Post
    For what it’s worth I was just reading this about ozone:
    New Medical Study Shows that Ozone Kills COVID-19
    Submitted by admin on Fri, 03/13/2020 - 16:56
    We have numerous calls coming in to ask if ozone kills coronavirus, COVID-19. We already know that ozone has successfully killed previous coronavirus threats. We now have the first documented proof from an authority source that ozone does kill the COVID-19.

Thanks for sharing Dan.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Coronavirus - Covid-19 - Safe Detailing?

Can’t wait for all this to pass and we all can get back to get our shine on. Stay safe!!

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dano shine View Post
    Can’t wait for all this to pass and we all can get back to get our shine on. Stay safe!!
    Having lost my job to this virus for however long it takes to defeat it, one of the positives I can think of is having WAY more time to devote to my truck.

Stay safe and think positive my fellow 'Geeks!!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Having lost my job to this virus for however long it takes to defeat it, one of the positives I can think of is having WAY more time to devote to my truck.

Stay safe and think positive my fellow 'Geeks!!
    PaulMys,
    Sad to hear that news, but I suspect that you are one of the thousands that will be stranded by the COVID-19. Stay active on the forum and tell us how the car shine pastime works out.

I am starting my second week working from home and given oil prices (I work in oil company) I will most likely get laid off as prices stay low. Never saw this year as being a quick right and left jab leaving us knocked out!

8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post
    PaulMys,
    Sad to hear that news, but I suspect that you are one of the thousands that will be stranded by the COVID-19. Stay active on the forum and tell us how the car shine pastime works out.

I am starting my second week working from home and given oil prices (I work in oil company) I will most likely get laid off as prices stay low. Never saw this year as being a quick right and left jab leaving us knocked out!
    Thanks, TK.

Having my mortgage and other bills put on moratorium is a blessing. Uncharted waters here, but hoping for the best.

True about the oil prices. I'm pretty shocked to see $1.99 gas here on Long Island, a place that typically pays some of the highest price per gallon in the nation.

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone, I'd like to emphasize extreme caution with detailing during this time, not only from a liability standpoint but from a health one as well. This virus spreads easy as it can be transmitted by those who are asymptomatic. Every day more and more information comes out and, from what I've been following in some health publications/journals, that our understanding of the virus is changing (this is good because we are understanding more).

Cleaning vehicles is NOT an essential business (not what I wanted to say nor what I wanted to hear...trust me) unless you know how to properly sanitize around parameters of SARS-COV-2. The TL/DR of this is most of us detailers do not have the tools, protection, and chemicals needed to combat SARS-COV-2. I'm not a doctor/epidemiologist/nurse (nor do I play one on TV) but I've done some basic research (included) and plea with you to protect your health. Here's just a few things to support my position.

As of the time of this writing, the CDC (direct from them) says with regard to cleaning in hospitals, "EVS (Environmental Sanitation) personnel should refrain from entering the vacated room until sufficient time has elapsed for enough air changes to remove potentially infectious particles (more information on clearance rates under differing ventilation conditions is available). After this time has elapsed, EVS personnel may enter the room and should wear a gown and gloves when performing terminal cleaning. A facemask and eye protection should be added if splashes or sprays during cleaning and disinfection activities are anticipated or otherwise required based on the selected cleaning products." So first, you'd need to air a vehicle out with sufficient movement (also filtration because blowing contaminated air out does no good) then you need to wear the proper PPE to prevent getting the virus on you. Because we, "roll around in it," so to speak, when detailing an interior there's a chance of transferring the virus to our bodies/clothes. More reading can be found here: Healthcare Infection Prevention and Control FAQs for COVID-19 | CDC

Steaming, so far, best as I can tell from my research that led me to the conclusion that I should not detail during this time, is that steam can cause the active virus to leave a surface and become airborne. Steaming would be considered an "aerosol generating procedure," and requires an N-95 respirator, gloves, eye protection, and a gown (in our case we would need coveralls) that (one could draw an assumption) would protect from 50 nanometers up. This measurement is based off the National Institute of Health research (found here: Supramolecular Architecture of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus Revealed by Electron Cryomicroscopy). I have not found a medical study that displays the death of SARS-COV-2 through steam yet. I am awaiting a call back from an epidemiologist to receive guidance on where to find data pertaining to this.

In the mean time, my personal conclusion is based off the current data posted to the WHO website that states, "Heat at 56°C kills the SARS coronavirus at around 10000 units per 15 min (quick reduction)." So, depending on the concentration, you would need one hundred thirty six degree Fahrenheit concentrated for 15 minutes to make a significant inactivation shot. I know my steamer puts out a lot of pressure, so while one could expect the 250 degree steam to create an "instant kill" in its direct high heat path, the pressure and rapid cooling as you move away from the nozzle could "spray" the still active virus back into the air for you to pick up and carry (or worse, inhale).

Well, what about ozone? Ozone (O3) has a prospect for letting that third oxygen molecule "breach" the virus protein wall and enter causing the virus unable to replicate. This is actually a thing and is possibly the only non chemical fight detailers would have against SARS-COV-2. There is just one problem, how long do you ozone the vehicle and how do you guarantee that you effectively neutralized the virus in its entirety? There is available data to show that SARS-COV-1 is susceptible to ozone but not all viruses become inactive at the same rate and concentration and SARS-COV-2 is already showing some limited properties different that its predecessor. When it comes to how long it takes to ozone inactivate this virus I have not been able to find data from medical sources. There are some manufactures of ozone products who will draw conclusions that it will work similar to SARS-COV-1 but I again have not seen hard data.

Cleaning chemicals can work, and some of them are in your home! However, there is one catch, these products do not produce instant inactivation of the virus. For example, Clorox Wipes (if you can find them) need four minutes of contact time. During this four minutes, the surface needs to kept wet with product. "Instant kill," products are in short supply as our front line health care workers are using them to fight the virus (and they sure need them). You would have to find a product (see this list: List N: Disinfectants for Use Against SARS-CoV-2 | Pesticide Registration | US EPA) then make sure it is safe for use on the materials on our vehicle interiors (leather, glass, and touch screens are the principal mediums that come to mind). As of this time, no product in the Autogeek antibacterial section are listed for fighting SARS-COV-2.

I love detailing and was excited to really push my business forward this spring as the supplemental income is needed but it is not worth the risk to myself, my family, my community, and someone expecting their vehicle to be sanitized. For the time being we need to do our part and stay home to slow the spread and make ready for recovery when this virus passes.

One final note, a very reputable detailer, Renny Doyle has himself even come out with similar thoughts (check out his video, it confirmed my thoughts about detailing during this time) and my research I was able to do backs up his conclusions. Please stay healthy everyone, this will pass and we will prevail.

11. Thanks SNP209, DMiglio thanked for this post
    Likes SNP209 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dano Shine, would you be able to PM me that article or articles about Ozone and Covid-19? I’d really appreciate it, thanks!

Hey AaronE, thanks for that post, a very informative and important read.

I’ve been thinking of using Ozone as that seems to be the best option before even doing anything inside the vehicle, put on ppe, lay the machine in the car and blast it for an hour or so and take care of the exterior. When it’s done allow it to air out a bit, cleaning door jambs, door panels etc before entering in to clean the dash, seats and carpets.

I, like you though, haven’t found anything that confirms Ozone kills Covid-19 in X amount of time at a specific PPM. I found a study that showed Ozone killing SARS and multiple other viruses and bacteria, but that’s about it. Been quite hard to find anything of any worth at this moment for Covid-19. As you say too, all these disinfectants are a)going to require different “time to kill” and must remain wet, b)basically impossible to find now and if you do won’t be able to buy enough for business and c)may not even be “friendly” to the materials.
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Post Thanks / Like

That's why I decided to not kick off the season yet. I set up my final semester of school so I could detail several days a week once weather hear in lovely Northwest Ohio broke. I made sure to do some digging if my methods would be safe for myself and provide customers peace of mind and my research gave me a big ole nope.

Hopefully if everyone, including us detailers, stay home this will pass soon and we can get back to work.

14. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AaronE View Post

Hopefully if everyone, including us detailers, stay home this will pass soon and we can get back to work.

Amen, Aaron.

16. Likes AaronE liked this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast