autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coronavirus - Covid-19 - Safe Detailing?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Also....

The nitrile gloves are not listed on the anti-bacterial page above but everyone should have these right now.

Here's the difference between the black and the orange gloves.

The black nitrile gloves are thinner and cost less. They also rip easier due to being thin.

Disposable Black Nitrile Gloves - Sizes: Medium - Large - X Large - XX Large

The orange nitrile gloves are much thicker and more stout than the black nitrile gloves and also cost a tick more,

Orange Heavy Duty Nitrile Gloves - Sizes: Medium - Large - X Large - XX Large

Price differences

Box of 100 black nitrile gloves = $16.00 = 17 cents per glove or 34 cents for a pair to wear.

Box of 100 orange nitrile gloves = $18.99 - 19 cents per glove or 38 cents for a pair to wear.

(in most cases you wear a pair of gloves, not just one glove)

There's a time and place for both types. I tend to prefer the orange gloves when doing any substantial work as they are much more heavy duty and also have dimples on them which increases your grip strength.

I prefer the black gloves when shooting video or taking pictures as the orange tends to blow-out the exposure making them look like they glow, which then takes away your focus from what you're trying to showcase.

Those gloveworks are hands down the best gloves available...they run a little small so order up a size

Sent from my SM-A205U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post
    Gloves and masks are a no brainer. But as we begin the process of cleaning the interior if a steam cleaner is available I would just start with the process of steaming all of the surfaces as I enter the car. I think that a good quality steamer can disinfect most surfaces of the vehicle pretty quickly to give us access to actually get the job done
    If that steamer is capable of getting the stuff it's cleaning to a temperature above 140 for a prolonged period, yes it will according to the CDC. I wouldn't count on that happening.

Post Thanks / Like

Chief Steamers are 280ish at the tip, I feel good about steaming areas slowly to kill it

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not taking anymore precaution against it than I do the flu,,I worry more about door knobs,kiosk and anything of the like more than a car,,,if I KNEW the car was occupied by an infected person my approach would be different,,like not even so much as getting within 15 feet of it for a week or 2
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

5. Likes Thomkirby, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The latest answer I have seen to the question of "How long does the novel coronavirus remain on surfaces" :

Scientists from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) attempted to mimic the virus deposited from an infected person onto everyday surfaces in a household or other setting, such as through coughing or touching objects. They used a device to dispense an aerosol that duplicated the microscopic droplets created in a cough or a sneeze. The scientists then investigated how long the virus remained infectious on these surfaces, according to the study that appeared online in the New England Journal of Medicine on Tuesday.

The tests show that when the virus is carried by the droplets released when someone coughs or sneezes, it remains viable, or able to still infect people, in aerosols for at least three hours.

On plastic and stainless steel, viable virus could be detected after three days. On cardboard, the virus was not viable after 24 hours. On copper, it took 4 hours for the virus to become inactivated.

In terms of half-life, the research team found that it takes about 66 minutes for half the virus particles to lose function if they are in an aerosol droplet (that means that after another 66 minutes, three quarters of the virus particles will be essentially inactivated but 25% will still be viable, then the amount of viable virus at the end of the third hour and six minutes will be down to 12.5%, and so forth.

On stainless steel it takes 5 hours 38 minutes for half of the virus particles to become inactive, and on plastic, the half-life is 6 hours 49 minutes, researchers found.

7. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    The latest answer I have seen to the
    question of "How long does the novel
    coronavirus remain on surfaces" :

Scientists from the National Institute of
    Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)
    attempted to mimic the virus deposited
    from an infected person onto everyday surfaces
    in a household or other setting, such as through
    coughing or touching objects. They used a device
    to dispense an aerosol that duplicated the micro-
    scopic droplets created in a cough or a sneeze.

In terms of half-life, the research team found that
    it takes about 66 minutes for half the virus particles
    to lose function if they are in an aerosol droplet
    (that means that after another 66 minutes, three
    quarters of the virus particles will be essentially
    inactivated but 25% will still be viable, then the
    amount of viable virus at the end of the third hour
    and six minutes will be down to 12.5%, and so forth.
    ^^^All of this gobbledygook to say that,
    according to the “findings” of this research
    team, the novel coronavirus will never
    become completely inactive.

Heartening outlook. :-7

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Thats interesting, sounds like that ozone machine may be a pretty important tool. I'm thinking put it in the car and let it do its thing then come back the next day with the steam cleaner and hit all the high traffic areas. Has anyone started offering Coronavirus interior details yet? I need to get a game plan together and figure out a price on these, if this damn virus is going to do nothing but cost me money in every other aspect of life I might as well figure out a way to benefit from it.

Post Thanks / Like

This was an interesting read. Posted on the Autogeek facebook page.

Chief Steamer
    March 17 at 12:20 PM ·
    A word from Kevin regarding the virus

"Can steam Kill the Corona Virus..... or any other virus?

That is a question we wished we had a definitive answer to. It's such a difficult question to answer as there are so many variables to consider in killing or removing contaminants from a surface with steam.

What other steam companies and I would agree on is that steam is
    an excellent way to clean. It's fast; there are no chemicals used; the degree of "clean" always seems to be better than cleaning with a cloth and a spray-on type cleaner. Steam has become a preferred method of cleaning for many business and homeowners alike

But getting back to disinfection and killing of a virus........ Can steam
    do it? Is it hot enough? Many scientists will tell you that high
    temperatures can kill germs. Many say that germs thrive in temperature
    environments between 40-140 degrees Fahrenheit. That is why it's
    important to refrigerate food and cook at high temps. And boiling water
    is generally very effective in killing off most bacteria in foods. To produce steam, we have to go far above the boiling point of water (212
    degrees), so wouldn't it make sense that steam can kill a virus?

Many steamers, even the less expensive, non-commercial ones, can produce steam at close to 250 degrees. And the higher the pressure the steamer can reach, the higher the temperature will be. Pressure increases with heat. And heat increases the pressure. On our Chief Steamer 75
    commercial machine, we are at 85 PSI in the boiler, and that equates to
    roughly 310 degrees of superheated water inside the boiler. And our
    other machines are even higher. Sounds like enough, right? Just blast any
    surface with a little of this superheated steam, and ZAP.....virus,
    germs, and bacteria are all gone!

But not so fast........

Here is where the very grey area comes in. It matters greatly how you do it if you want to have a chance at this. Many customers, when they first receive their steamer (regardless of the model), will question that the steam is not that hot. When I hear that, i know EXACTLY what they are doing. The customer is spraying steam on their hands, and they can actually handle the heat. Why would it feel only warm, and why can you stand the heat? The reasons are numerous.

Let's start with the heat in the boiler. On our Chief Steamer 75, it will be about 310 for argument sake at 85 PSI. That is IN the boiler. But the steam then needs to escape the boiler and rush through an empty and cool hose. As it travels, the steam starts to cool. We estimate about a 50 degree drop by the time it exits. This is directly at the tip of the wand, and after the steam hose has been "primed" and only hot steam is escaping. If the steam wand is held even a few inches from a surface, it
    has cooled even more from hitting the atmosphere. It still is pretty hot, but how hot at that point? Can it still disinfect a surface if held 2, 3, or 4 inches away?

But if we estimate the steam is still at about 250 degrees on exit, exactly at the tip of the wand, it still will seem its plenty hot to kill a germ, bacteria, or a virus. HOWEVER....... now it's about technique and knowing how fast steam will cool as it exits the nozzle. This is why the "test" that a customer will do when they hold their hand 5 inches away and spray steam that they say it's not that hot. This is actually a very wrong technique in cleaning. Spraying steam all overlooks really cool and puts on a good show. But that method is not the best cleaning technique. The steam needs to be applied directly on the surface and not allowed to escape. And to sanitize, it needs to be there for at least a few seconds. But this is also debatable in how long steam needs to be applied to kill the virus on the surface. To be the most successful in steam cleaning, it is really about technique.

A better way in almost all cases is to use a brush on the nozzle. All steamers come with brushes. You choose the one you like. But a brush gives you a much better chance. The brush and gentle (or aggressive in some cases) scrubbing action will get you there way faster than just spraying steam and expecting built-up grime and dirt to magically go away. By using a brush, you can trap the steam on, or into, the surface and retain far more heat. By using a cloth or pad over a brush, this will trap the heat even more. NOW try touching a microfiber pad that
    has just been cycled on for 20 seconds or more. It WILL now burn your hand. That is the difference. You have trapped the heat and not let it escape as easily. It stays hotter and cleans far more effectively than just spraying steam on a surface from far away

Next, you should gently scrub. It will get you there much quicker. And the rate of speed at which you move along the surface will make a HUGE difference. Move slower, the heat stays there longer, and you have a much better case of killing anything and cleaning better. Move along very fast, you will save time, but you will not clean and sanitize as effectively.

To sum it all up...... steam may very likely be able to kill a virus,
    maybe even the Corona Virus. It most likely can kill germs and bacteria. But going in, you have to know what you are doing with the steamer and understand how this all can work in your favor to get the job done. And combine proper technique with a proven sanitizing cleaner lightly sprayed on a surface to enhance the cleaning and disinfection, and now you have the absolute BEST shot at getting it right. But do it wrong, and there is a strong likely hood that you did not kill anything. It may
    be clean, cleaner, spotless....... but NOT sanitized. The absolute BEST steamer (whatever you may think it is) may not be killing any germs, viruses, bacteria at all if you do it wrong. And a cheaper, entry-level steamer that has far lower specs may even get the job done if the user knows how to correctly use the machine.

But even if its all done right and the technique is flawless, it's still not known if that surface is 100% sanitized and virus free. It's impossible to prove unless this is done in a laboratory. So be careful of what you may claim in your steam cleaning. But in my home, I will use steam, use it the best way I know how, and take my time. And while I will not, or cannot claim I have truly disinfected a surface, I will be far more confident that it's as close to sanitized as possible based on what we know about what extreme heat can do."

11. Likes PaulMys, mc2hill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This was posted on Facebook.

Meguiar’s headquarters is closed as well.

13. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For what it’s worth I was just reading this about ozone:
    New Medical Study Shows that Ozone Kills COVID-19
    Submitted by admin on Fri, 03/13/2020 - 16:56
    We have numerous calls coming in to ask if ozone kills coronavirus, COVID-19. We already know that ozone has successfully killed previous coronavirus threats. We now have the first documented proof from an authority source that ozone does kill the COVID-19.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast