autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Coronavirus - Covid-19 - Safe Detailing?

I just received the most recent Autogeek Newsletter, they have listed products on the AG store that are Anti-Bacterial here,

Anti-Bacterial Car Care

I'm not an expert in this area so I don't know if anti-bacteria also means it kills viruses.

If you need more information, call our customer care reps for this info.

1-800-869-3011

2. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Also....

The nitrile gloves are not listed on the anti-bacterial page above but everyone should have these right now.

Here's the difference between the black and the orange gloves.

The black nitrile gloves are thinner and cost less. They also rip easier due to being thin.

Disposable Black Nitrile Gloves - Sizes: Medium - Large - X Large - XX Large

The orange nitrile gloves are much thicker and more stout than the black nitrile gloves and also cost a tick more,

Orange Heavy Duty Nitrile Gloves - Sizes: Medium - Large - X Large - XX Large

Price differences

Box of 100 black nitrile gloves = $16.00 = 17 cents per glove or 34 cents for a pair to wear.

Box of 100 orange nitrile gloves = $18.99 - 19 cents per glove or 38 cents for a pair to wear.

(in most cases you wear a pair of gloves, not just one glove)

There's a time and place for both types. I tend to prefer the orange gloves when doing any substantial work as they are much more heavy duty and also have dimples on them which increases your grip strength.

I prefer the black gloves when shooting video or taking pictures as the orange tends to blow-out the exposure making them look like they glow, which then takes away your focus from what you're trying to showcase.

4. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

•Lots of unknown dangers out there; lurking...

•If I were to want my vehicles cleaned up (from
    being exposed to a bio-hazard such as Covid-19)
    by some entity other than myself...

-I would require proof that the detailing business/
    detailing personnel to have had, at the minimum,
    up-to-date OSHA approved training in areas such
    as: PPE, Bio-hazards, Blood-Borne Pathogens, etc.

{I consider this as another means of protecting
    myself from that other type of unknown danger.}

•There are businesses whose personnel
    have been fully trained, qualified, and
    certified to perform biohazard clean up
    in my area of the Country. Is yours?

-If not:
    Folks interested in obtaining credentials for
    bio-hazard remediation can go to OSHA’s
    website for further information.

•Some of the training’s highlights:
    -PPE/Protective gear (face mask, nitrile gloves
    doubled-up, disposable apron and cap, etc.)
    -Proper use of chemicals for bio-hazard cleanups
    -Use of Red Bio-hazard Bags for disposal of
    all the protective equipment and materials
    used for these cleanups
    -Contact #’s of the proper local authorities
    for pick-up/disposal of Bio-hazards.

•Believe me...It’s a serious undertaking:
    -But don’t EVER expose yourself to any
    unknown dangers!

Just some well intended thoughts.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

6. Likes Thomkirby, Jim w, Flash Gordon, derass liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post

Just some well intended thoughts.

Bob

Thanks for chiming in Bob. Good point.

What a mess we're all in....

By the word we're I mean the world.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like I have a completely different take on this than most everyone else:

This appears to me to be a strain of the flu that is only a bit more dangerous because it includes a symptom (lung inflammation) that can be more serious, including more fateful, than the normal flu. I just don't think it demands the level of fear we're all giving it.

Look, I don't WANT to get sick with anything. I've had the flu, and it certainly isn't pleasant. But once I've had a particular strain of a flu, my immunity to that strain is quite high. I don't WANT to get Covid 19, but if I do, I'll deal with the symptoms, and understand I will be a bit more bullet proof to its return.

Please note, this is MY view on the topic, and for those who have a different view, I respect that. But I'm just not going to change my life (more than I am being forced to) for this.

9. Likes Jayfro, Flash Gordon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mk9750 View Post
    This appears to me to be a strain of the flu that is only a bit more dangerous because it includes a symptom (lung inflammation) that can be more serious, including more fateful, than the normal flu. I just don't think it demands the level of fear we're all giving it.
    Based on the statistics, COVID-19 has up to 30X+ the mortality rate vs. "seasonal flu".

But once I've had a particular strain of a flu, my immunity to that strain is quite high. I don't WANT to get Covid 19, but if I do, I'll deal with the symptoms, and understand I will be a bit more bullet proof to its return.

Note that your acquired immunity to a "particular strain" of flu is only for that strain and then only if it's an exact DNA match. Viruses constantly mutate and, for example, the H3N2 strain that might have been common one year may come back again but in a mutated form and then your immunity goes out the window.

As for this SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus, there is no guarantee that one will acquire immunity post-COVID-19. Already it has been found that there are at least two types, Type L & Type S, so it is mutating (as all viruses do to survive).

11. Likes Rsurfer, PaulMys, bofh, oneheadlite, RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Note to all : Anti-bacterial cleaners/products have ZERO effectiveness against viruses. 70% (min.) alcohol solutions, bleach solutions, and EPA-registered household disinfectants (ex. Lysol) are what will do the trick.

Hand washing with antibacterial soap does not kill a virus. The protection it (hopefully) provides is that you wash away the viral matter from your hands which in turn will keep you from spreading it to your mouth, nose, or eyes.

That last part is key. Keeping your hands away from your mouth, nose, and eyes is probably the most important thing you can do right now.

13. Likes PaulMys, RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mk9750 View Post
    It looks like I have a completely different take on this than most everyone else:

Look, I don't WANT to get sick with anything. I've had the flu, and it certainly isn't pleasant. But once I've had a particular strain of a flu, my immunity to that strain is quite high. I don't WANT to get Covid 19, but if I do, I'll deal with the symptoms, and understand I will be a bit more bullet proof to its return.

Please note, this is MY view on the topic, and for those who have a different view, I respect that. But I'm just not going to change my life (more than I am being forced to) for this.
    If you have parents that are still living or grandparents your selfish views on this virus might change. Thank God it's not affecting children as much, but seniors need to be extra cautious.

15. Likes Thomkirby, PaulMys, FUNX650, bofh, RamAirV1 and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gloves and masks are a must IMHO. Mike had said numerous time... if its on you then its in you. I took Mike's advice to heart.

I made a mistake of ordering the wrong masks last year. I meant to get N91 but got N95 instead. I eventually forgot about them and left them in the garage. I am so glad I made that mistake now.

I was doing a clients vehicle at his house about a week ago and I took them with me. It actually made him feel more comfortable knowing I had the N95 mask on since he has small children in the house . He was willing to buy any extra masks off me. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting read on ozone and the impact on coronavirus-SARS

Ozone'''s Effectiveness in Killing SARS Coronavirus Leads to Theory on COVID-19

I also watched this Scotty Kilmer video that talked about why ozone is a good defense.

YouTube

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast