autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to wash wheels and tires INSIDE without a water hose by Mike Phillips

Mike, you are saying that factory clearcoat on the body panels is also impermeable, correct? It is stated in the first sentence under the “Goal” heading above. I was thinking that the microscopic pits and valleys in the paint we always talk about would have made it permeable and then was thinking that factory painted wheels were that much smoother/impermeable... but I’m realizing from your post above that factory clear coats are considered impermeable, on wheels or body panels.

If what I summarize is correct, then in your wheel cleaning regimen, the glass cleaner is essentially cleaning good enough to act as the final panel wipe... thus not a must to do the final panel wipe after cleaning with glass cleaner.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post

Mike, you are saying that factory clearcoat on the body panels is also impermeable, correct? It is stated in the first sentence under the “Goal” heading above.

I was thinking that the microscopic pits and valleys in the paint we always talk about would have made it permeable and then was thinking that factory painted wheels were that much smoother/impermeable... but I’m realizing from your post above that factory clear coats are considered impermeable, on wheels or body panels.

As any paint type ages it becomes more permeable or porous. The wheels on the Mercedes-Benz were brand spanking new.

Also - if you machine polish older paint you undo the aging damage and restore an impermeable surface. Most people machine polish or do paint correction to all cars before installing a ceramic paint coating.

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post

If what I summarize is correct, then in your wheel cleaning regimen, the glass cleaner is essentially cleaning good enough to act as the final panel wipe... thus not a must to do the final panel wipe after cleaning with glass cleaner.
    Cleaning with the glass cleaner followed by using a dedicated panel wipe would be better. I was just too lazy to get off my butt and get one. That and all the things I pointed about about the paint on the wheel being new and thus impermeable.

Good questions...

Going deep down the rabbit hole...

3. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike, and I do also wish I had attended your class.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12