autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Avoid water spots - The fast and simple way I dry my cars by Mike Phillips

Avoid water spots - The fast and simple way I dry my cars by Mike Phillips

Recenty I washed a 1957 Oldsmobile Fiest Stationwagon to test out some new products. Part of the process but a part that didn't get much fanfare was drying the water off the car.

We meaning most of us wash our cars more often than we do any other car care step to them to keep them clean. This is especially true for anyone that has a daily driver that wants it to look great all or at least most of the time. That would include me. I like to keep my wife's SL 500 clean and shiny and I like to keep my truck clean and shiny. (The truck is due for washing).

However you wash your car one thing you must do after the final rinse and that is dry off the water to avoid water spots. In my opinion and experience, Type II Water Spots and these are crater etchings, where whatever corrosive crud is in the water actually eats into and etches a crater into the clear layer of paint on your car. In order to remove crater etchings you normally must compound the car. Compounding a car takes hours as does all the other follow-up steps.

So to avoid water spots it's a really good idea to dry the standing water off your car's finish, trim, glass and any other surface.

There's a lot of ways to dry a car and they all work if you use good technique and common sense. The easiest way I know of and also about just as fast as any way is to keep the process simple as in,

KISS = Keep it Simple Simon

So what I find myself doing the most is simply grabbing a couple of the 20" by 40" Guzzler Waffle Weave Microfiber Drying Towels out of the cabinet in the Show Car Garage and then use them to dry the car.

The majority of the time I wash and dry a car I don't take pictures of the drying process because... well... it's kind of basic knowledge. That said, if you're reading this and you want and need a simple solution to drying your car after washing then check out the pictures below.

I dried this HUGE car off after rinsing with only TWO of these 20" x 40" Guzzlers. I didn't need a third towel. Not even for the glass or the wheels. I use one to grab the majority of water which is on the horizontal surfaces (and this car has a lot of horizontal surface real-estate), and the other towel for the sides of the car. By the time I've dried all the water off the body panels, glass and even bumpers, (this car has a lot of glass and HUGE bumpers), my second towel was still able to blot the water off the custom one-off wheels.

I'll walk you through what I did below...

Here's the wagon all foamed over, ready to wash...

That's me, yep I do all my own work and write all my articles based upon my work. There's a lot of detailing gurus in the blogosphere but I never see some of these guys detail any cars? Let alone take pictures and then write a step-by-step how to article they will stamp their name to.

Final rinse
    Sorry, not pictures of me rinsing the car but it's not hard to imagine, looks like the pictures of me rinsing the Camaro I washed the day before for yet another how-to article.

No water beading

I took this shot just to document it's been a while since the paint on this car has had any real attention. It also means the water won't release off the paint like paint that has incredible water beading.

Step 3: Dry car

To dry this huge car I'm going to use two Guzzlers from start to finish.

Completely dry

And yes... both of the drying towels are completely wet with water removed off the car but the car is 100% dry and I didn't need a third towel.

Here she is 100% absolutely surgically clean and ready for the next steps...

The Guzzler family of towels are made from microfiber material so they are soft and gentle to your car's scratch sensitive clearcoat finish.

You can wash them and dry them like you would normal towels except wash them together and use a dedicated microfiber laundry cleaner.

Fold them and store them someplace where they'll stay clean and you will probably be able to use them until the day you leave this earth or quick washing your own car.

You can purchase these 20" x 40" towels as singles or there's a three pack and even a six pack if you own an RV or something else that's huge.

If you're just washing a drying one vehicle then get the three pack, as you can see from the pictures above this will be more than enough.

On Autogeek.com

3 pack

3 Pack The Supreme Guzzler Waffle Weave Towels 20 x 40 inches

Single towel

The Supreme Guzzler Waffle Weave By Cobra, 20 x 40 inches

6 pack

6 Pack The Supreme Guzzler Waffle Weave Towels, 20 x 40 inches

Keep it simple... keep it safe

KISS - Keep it Simple Safe

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Avoid water spots - Fast and simple way I dry my cars

Mike - thanks for the write up on this. I live in AZ so had a few questions for you:
    1. what time of the morning was this car washed?
    2. How long did the car washing portion take? And, did you have to keep rinsing the car so it didn't dry?
    3. Is the Florida humidity what allows your cars to stay wetter longer?
    4. Can you do this process in the summer?

Sorry for all the questions. It's just that I always feel rushed when I wash outdoors as my driveway does not have shade and I'm fighting water spots all the time. It looks like you didn't have shade when you washed that car.

Thanks

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Wknd Dtlr View Post

Mike - thanks for the write up on this. I live in AZ so had a few questions for you:

1. what time of the morning was this car washed?
    I arrived to Autogeek at 6:00am and started washing by 7:30am. Below is the link to the original write-up for the washing and decontamination process I used. In it I say,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Note the warm, gold glow this pictures has? The sun is just coming up over the horizon, it's early in the morning and temperatures are still cool.

Linky...

SONAX Fallout Remover - How to chemically decontaminate paint before restoring a show car finish by Mike Phillips

In another week or two it's going to be miserable HOT and HUMID at this time of the morning.

2. How long did the car washing portion take? And, did you have to keep rinsing the car so it didn't dry?
    Step 1: Spray car with SONAX Fallout Remover - I let this dwell for 4-5 minutes.
    Step 2: Foam car with SONAX car wash
    Step 3: Wash most of car quickly with wash mitt and rinse.
    Step 4: Re-foam sunny side of car I didn't get the first time around and then wash and then rinse.
    Step 5: Final rinse

And even though I'm missing my leg I hustle. It's not like it takes me longer than an able bodied person. Anyone that's watched me work knows I'm not really "disabled".

After all of the above I then did some new product testing. This took another half hour easy. Then I dried the car like you see in the pictures.

3. Is the Florida humidity what allows your cars to stay wetter longer?
    No. Humidity makes you sweat. Heat dries the water. --> hustling is the key...

4. Can you do this process in the summer?

Sorry for all the questions. It's just that I always feel rushed when I wash outdoors as my driveway does not have shade and I'm fighting water spots all the time.

It looks like you didn't have shade when you washed that car.

Thanks
    I am rushed or I would have water dyring on the car.

We're that is you and me, are supposed to wash cars in the shade. That sounds good and sounds right on paper, video and pixels but here's the deal. The water spigot is in the front of the garage as are the water hoses as is the garage. It's a lot less hassle to wash a car out front than to move EVERYTHING to the back. I just don't have that type of time plus it would be a ton of extra walking.

It's also about the hustle and being careful.

Thanks for the questions...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Avoid water spots - The fast and simple way I dry my cars by Mike Phillips

On well maintained paint, I usually sheet water over the vehicle, and most of it will drain off and leave the car 80-90% dry. Then I take my cordless Makita blower and blow large water spots, crevices, nooks, and crannies. I finish with a guzzler, often with a drying aid (like a quick detailer or spray wax) to give the car that just detailed look and feel.

Im always washing my car on my grass so the water runoff waters the grass

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Mike - thanks for the prompt, detailed response. Very much appreciated!

A comment and question:
    1. sorry I didn't read your write-up more closely. You answered my first question in it so sorry you had to repeat when you washed the car :-)
    2. How did you do the split-quote response? I know how to do multi-quote responses, but not how to split one up from a single post.

As usual, thanks again for your awesome write-ups. It amazes me how you are able to still produce very well thought-out, and detailed posts on top of everything else in your schedule!

Mike Phillips

Wow, Mike - thanks for the prompt, detailed response. Very much appreciated!
    You're very welcome. That's my style. I've never been a one-liner kind of answer man.

A comment and question:

1. sorry I didn't read your write-up more closely. You answered my first question in it so sorry you had to repeat when you washed the car :-)
    No problemo... this is also my writing style. I cover everything in my original work, at least everything I can think of and that I think someone else will think of or ask. Then I share the information. Good or bad style I'll let other decide, it's just how I'm wired.

2. How did you do the split-quote response? I know how to do multi-quote responses, but not how to split one up from a single post.
    Simple. Just copy the original post or the portion you want to address and then use the multi-quote feature here on the vBulletin forum to separate out the specific points you want to address.

I actually have an article with pictures that show how to do this...

How to use the "Editor Mode" to break a single quoted message up into smaller quoted sections

As usual, thanks again for your awesome write-ups. It amazes me how you are able to still produce very well thought-out, and detailed posts on top of everything else in your schedule!
    Thank you so much for the recognition. In the last week I've detailed a number of cars and taken pictures. The biggest time factor is processing the pictures. But when it's done right it educates and if the product truly is good it solves a problem and that leads to sales and that is in fact one of the things I do and actually most people they just don't realize it.

Nothing happens until someone sells something - Arthur "Red" Motley

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I arrived to Autogeek at 6:00am and started washing by 7:30am. Below is the link to the original write-up for the washing and decontamination process I used. In it I say,

Linky...

SONAX Fallout Remover - How to chemically decontaminate paint before restoring a show car finish by Mike Phillips

In another week or two it's going to be miserable HOT and HUMID at this time of the morning.

Step 1: Spray car with SONAX Fallout Remover - I let this dwell for 4-5 minutes.
    Step 2: Foam car with SONAX car wash
    Step 3: Wash most of car quickly with wash mitt and rinse.
    Step 4: Re-foam sunny side of car I didn't get the first time around and then wash and then rinse.
    Step 5: Final rinse

And even though I'm missing my leg I hustle. It's not like it takes me longer than an able bodied person. Anyone that's watched me work knows I'm not really "disabled".

After all of the above I then did some new product testing. This took another half hour easy. Then I dried the car like you see in the pictures.

No. Humidity makes you sweat. Heat dries the water. --> hustling is the key...

I am rushed or I would have water dyring on the car.

We're that is you and me, are supposed to wash cars in the shade. That sounds good and sounds right on paper, video and pixels but here's the deal. The water spigot is in the front of the garage as are the water hoses as is the garage. It's a lot less hassle to wash a car out front than to move EVERYTHING to the back. I just don't have that type of time plus it would be a ton of extra walking.

It's also about the hustle and being careful.

Thanks for the questions...

yesterday's high was 91 degrees.I didn't prepare myself for the unknown hot day.Did a simple detail on a Dodge 1500 4 hrs for a full detail went home nausea till 9pm.Becareful mobile guys it's very dangerous Un prepared. WE'RE SUPPOSE TO BE IN THE 70 DEGREE MARK BY THE WEEKEND THANK GOD.Saturday I have 20 school buses headlight restos.

Post Thanks / Like

I always wash outside also and just got the McKees37 Turbo Car Dryer. Works great and saves time. By the way Mike that is an Oldsmobile.
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by WAXOFF View Post

I always wash outside also and just got the McKees37 Turbo Car Dryer. Works great and saves time.
    One of my new favorite old sayings is,

There's a million ways to skin a cat

Quote Originally Posted by WAXOFF View Post

By the way Mike that is an Oldsmobile.
    Yeah I know that.

After investing about 12 hours to do a full-on show car detail to this HUGE car I'm pretty well aware that it's an Oldsmobile. For someone reason when I get speed typing I want to keep typing Pontiac.

I fixed the typo and thanks for sending me a PM about the typo. Out of the tens of thousands of words I type each week I'm happy to say typos are far and few between.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    One of my new favorite old sayings is,

There's a million ways to skin a cat

Yeah I know that.

After investing about 12 hours to do a full-on show car detail to this HUGE car I'm pretty well aware that it's an Oldsmobile. For someone reason when I get speed typing I want to keep typing Pontiac.

I fixed the typo and thanks for sending me a PM about the typo. Out of the tens of thousands of words I type each week I'm happy to say typos are far and few between.

I wasn't getting on your case but I'm just anal about little details. The Ponchos had a nicer front end anyway. My Uncle had a 57 Sedan. Always liked that car. Have a fantastic day. Oh you always do you are the "King of the Detail world"
    Envy you.
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast