autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to avoid germs - Gas Station

Just a random thought/addition, since this article was written when the state of things were a bit different.

Back when it was written, the goal was to avoid catching the cold/flu. Now with Covid-19 out there, not only do you Really not want to catch that, but other variables in life are different as well. PPE is in huge demand as everyone has taken interest in taking action to protect themselves - not to mention all the medical professionals, first responders, and others working to keep us all healthy/safe. Also, many people have lost their jobs or had their income drastically affected by all of the changes.

So, I've been using black nitrile gloves that I bought from my work when pumping gas or shopping. Like the gloves I'm sure most glove-wielding AG'rs are using, one of the things I like most about them is how durable they are (this contributes to the previously mentioned eternity required for them to break down in landfills..). The downside is they're not super cheap.
    At work, I'll frequently reuse them as long as they don't have big holes in them. This cuts down on unnecessary waste and expense (I work at a small shop).

Based on (disclaimer: my understanding of) all the information available about Covid-19 (and it's similarity to other viruses), instead of (IMO, unnecessarily) throwing the gloves away after a single use, I've been cleaning and reusing them. Upon (careful no-cooties) removal, they get put aside for a few days, then after I accumulate enough I just wash them (inside and out) in a bin of soapy water.

If 20 second hand washing is enough to kill viruses on our skin (again, based on my understanding of descriptions that hand washing breaks down the fatty outside of the virus, killing it), I don't see why it wouldn't be effective on a non-porous surface.

You could also just let them sit on the shelf long enough that the Virus should no longer be viable from strictly the time element. But, I like the peace of mind of mechanically cleaning them as well.

Again, just a thought as

A: your favorite gloves might not be so easy to restock next time you go to buy them, and

B: You might not have the same cash flow as you used to.

2. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post

Based on (disclaimer: my understanding of) all the information available about Covid-19 (and it's similarity to other viruses), instead of (IMO, unnecessarily) throwing the gloves away after a single use, I've been cleaning and reusing them.

Upon (careful no-cooties) removal, they get put aside for a few days, then after I accumulate enough I just wash them (inside and out) in a bin of soapy water.

If 20 second hand washing is enough to kill viruses on our skin (again, based on my understanding of descriptions that hand washing breaks down the fatty outside of the virus, killing it), I don't see why it wouldn't be effective on a non-porous surface.

You could also just let them sit on the shelf long enough that the Virus should no longer be viable from strictly the time element. But, I like the peace of mind of mechanically cleaning them as well.

Again, just a thought as

A: your favorite gloves might not be so easy to restock next time you go to buy them, and

I wondered about washing and re-using for all the reasons you stated.

I noticed my neighbor, (who is not a car guy, has never seen this thread), somehow washes his black nitrile gloves and then places on this windshield, just tucked under the wiper blades so they don't blow away. I see this there on sunny days, so he must be washing them and then drying them in the sun where exposure to sunlight is also supposed to kill viruses.

Could be as easy as putting some bleach in a pail of water and then soaking the gloves in the bleach water over night, then dry them.

I do believe in being a good steward of my companies resources as well as my own. Like you say, things can change...

4. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike

The only thing I'd add to your post - if you wash them in a bleach solution, I'd be sure to thoroughly rinse them as well. That way there'd be less risk of a reaction if your hands get sweaty after you wash them.

This springs to mind as I've had it before where certain gloves almost seem to cause a chemical burn reaction to your skin if you happen to get gasoline inside them (like if you're doing a fuel pump/sender.

John

6. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a random thought/addition, since this article was written when the state of things were a bit different.

Back when it was written, the goal was to avoid catching the cold/flu. Now with Covid-19 out there, not only do you Really not want to catch that, but other variables in life are different as well. PPE is in huge demand as everyone has taken interest in taking action to protect themselves - not to mention all the medical professionals, first responders, and others working to keep us all healthy/safe. Also, many people have lost their jobs or had their income drastically affected by all of the changes.

So, I've been using black nitrile gloves that I bought from my work when pumping gas or shopping. Like the gloves I'm sure most glove-wielding AG'rs are using, one of the things I like most about them is how durable they are (this contributes to the previously mentioned eternity required for them to break down in landfills..). The downside is they're not super cheap.
    At work, I'll frequently reuse them as long as they don't have big holes in them. This cuts down on unnecessary waste and expense (I work at a small shop).

Based on (disclaimer: my understanding of) all the information available about Covid-19 (and it's similarity to other viruses), instead of (IMO, unnecessarily) throwing the gloves away after a single use, I've been cleaning and reusing them. Upon (careful no-cooties) removal, they get put aside for a few days, then after I accumulate enough I just wash them (inside and out) in a bin of soapy water.

Again, just a thought as

Good points that you make. I wonder how long the virus lives on nitrile gloves? It's only 24 hours for cardboard, but 3 days for plastic. I have not yet seen a lifespan for nitrile gloves though. Does bleach break down the glove material? I don't know just wondering.

RamAirV1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RamAirV1 View Post
    Good points that you make. I wonder how long the virus lives on nitrile gloves? It's only 24 hours for cardboard, but 3 days for plastic. I have not yet seen a lifespan for nitrile gloves though. Does bleach break down the glove material? I don't know just wondering.

RamAirV1
    There is no definitive answer of how long it remains on anything.

Remember 2 weeks ago when you didn't need to wear a mask? OOPS! Now it is recommended.

The only safe thing to do (unfortunately) is to act & behave as if everyone has the virus (including yourself), and to treat everything animal, mineral, vegetable, and any surface you may come into contact with as if it is also contaminated.

Sad, but a truism if we want to eradicate this in any timely fashion.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

You could also just let them sit on the shelf long enough that the Virus should no longer be viable from strictly the time element.
    That is one certain solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Could be as easy as putting some bleach in a pail of water and then soaking the gloves in the bleach water over night, then dry them.
    No need to soak them, a thorough dip while turned inside and then out, will do the trick. Per the CDC, unexpired bleach (sodium hypochlorite) used in diluted solution (min. 1000ppm) will kill the coronavirus, with a recommended minimum contact time of at least one minute. As a guideline, they list using (4) teaspoons of bleach per 32oz. of water.

Quote Originally Posted by RamAirV1 View Post

RamAirV1
    Bleach will not hurt nitrile. In general, nitrile gloves resist gasoline, kerosene and other petroleum solvents, as well as some acids and bases. Ketones (acetone is one example), strong oxidizing acids (like nitric), and organic chemicals containing nitrogen are to be avoided with nitrile.

10. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been one and done'n on gloves with trips to stores...but I went on a glove buying spree about a month before all this happened..gloveworks ftw

Sent from my SM-A205U using Autogeekonline mobile app

12. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Just to note - implementing this practice is just as important today as it was when I started this thread back in January.

Keep on keeping on....

14. Likes RamAirV1, AZpolisher15, mc2hill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did it last time I got gas. It’s the new norm now.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe even more important! Looks like you started this thread before the pandemic hit.

RamAirV1

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast