autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to avoid germs - Gas Station

Yep, there's lots of nasties out there. One would have to be Howard Hughes to avoid most of them.

One real nasty bacterial bug is C. Difficile. This bug can live on surfaces for up to 6 months I understand. The bacteria is like encapsulated in spores.

It usually hits people with weakened immune systems, but still. This one may very well lurk in most people's homes. Bathrooms are probably the worst room in the house, with toilets and sinks being a main source. But I also understand this particular bug can reside anywhere, and on everything.

Besides touching things, I'd say one major way you're also going to get sick, is by eating out in restaurants. And no, there's probably no discrimination between the fast food places, or the fanciest Steak Houses. If somebody in these places is sick, they're going to spread such.

That if you're traveling, and if such can be helped, pack a lunch. I truly believe that in 95% of cases, this is how I've gotten sick.

2. Likes ducksfan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    You got me there.
    Lol I have nothing lol. I thought by texting that the person would elaborate but I've failed lolHow to avoid germs - Gas Station How to avoid germs - Gas Station How to avoid germs - Gas Station How to avoid germs - Gas Station

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Yep, there's lots of nasties out there. One would have to be Howard Hughes to avoid most of them.

One real nasty bacterial bug is C. Difficile. This bug can live on surfaces for up to 6 months I understand. The bacteria is like encapsulated in spores.

It usually hits people with weakened immune systems, but still. This one may very well lurk in most people's homes. Bathrooms are probably the worst room in the house, with toilets and sinks being a main source. But I also understand this particular bug can reside anywhere, and on everything.

Besides touching things, I'd say one major way you're also going to get sick, is by eating out in restaurants. And no, there's probably no discrimination between the fast food places, or the fanciest Steak Houses. If somebody in these places is sick, they're going to spread such.

That if you're traveling, and if such can be helped, pack a lunch. I truly believe that in 95% of cases, this is how I've gotten sick.
    Yep, food service workers will kill ya!

Post Thanks / Like

This is great idea. I almost always use a paper towel but sometimes the dispenser is empty or its windy and I have to chase the towel across the lot if it blows off the handle.
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

6. Likes gorillapr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I forgot to wear my hazmat suit at the pump this morning so as you can see didn't end too wellHow to avoid germs - Gas Station How to avoid germs - Gas Station How to avoid germs - Gas Station How to avoid germs - Gas Station . Happy Saturday everyone!

So I just went to the gym to try to work it offHow to avoid germs - Gas Station How to avoid germs - Gas Station
    Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post

A couple of notes ...

1. Hand sanitizers are not effective against viruses, only against certain bacteria. The FDA just cracked down on Purell for making bogus claims about its effectiveness on viruses.
    I never use these. In most cases, I'm close enough to running water and soap that I'll make the effort to wash my hands before using the hand sanitizer option.

Another technique I use when washing hands is to get my paper towels FIRST. Some bathrooms, like the bathrooms at SEMA - you have to wind a plastic handle to get the towel to come off the roll and downward where you can grab it.

I figure the plastic handle/knob is disease invested. So I get my paper towels first - and then wash my hands. This way I don't have to touch the towel dispensing knob AFTER I've removed all the germs from my hands.

You shake a lot of hands at SEMA

The basics of washing your hands and keeping your hands away from your mouth and nose still make the most sense.
    Agree.

And if you choose to wear a mask when flying, make sure that mask can capture/contain something as small as a virus (microns in size). Call the mask manufacturer when in doubt.
    I hope the Coronavirus risk dissipates before I have to fly next. A couple of days before I wrote this article the wife and I stocked up on 3M N100 masks, not the perfect solution but it's something.

One of the things I and everyone I know hate the most about flying is the person on the flight with a cold or worse and their never-ending cough. And it seems like this person never has the common courtesy to cough into their hand, arm, or something. Nope - just let her fly....

9. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I struggle to NOT wear gloves 24/7 and a mask.
    Didn't think of this before Mike... thanks!
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    How to avoid germs - Gas Station

I hate getting sick. Most of you feel the same way. I especially hate getting sick when I’m responsible for teaching classes that have paying customers and have also been scheduled far in advance.

Besides not wanting to let anyone down, it’s simply no fun to put on a high-energy class without the energy.

So I’ve learned to be a germaphobic. Especially when traveling due to the volume of people you will come into contact with. Besides the people you will come into contact with there all the people you will not come into contact with BUT you will come into contact with the things these people will have touched.

Here’s where I start when I'm traveling.

Getting gas for my car

Instead of throwing caution to the wind, here’s a simple way to avoid all the germs at the Gas Pump. Keep disposable nitrile gloves in your car.

Then do this, put one glove on the hand you will use. Only use this hand to touch everything.

The numbers on the keypad

The selector button

The gas nozzle handle and squeeze trigger

Fill your gas tank - PROTECTED

And think about this, if you fill all the way to full, you'll make less visits to the gas station and thus reduce the number of times you touch anything at the gas station.

Use your clean hand to pull the glove off by the tip of the cuff where there was no surface contact with anything and dispose of at the gas station.

Think about it...

If you don’t wear disposable gloves - you touch all the components at the gas pump to fuel up your car.

Next you get back into your car and grab and hold the steering wheel. The steering wheel becomes a Petri dish where the warmth and moisture from your skin will now create a perfect environment for germs to grow. Maybe your driving for a few minutes, maybe hours. Maybe after you are done driving - now your getting on a Jet. An enclosed environment.

How many people “touch” the surfaces on a gas pump?

I normally wouldn’t share this type of how-to info but in light of the Coronavirus in the news - it’s timely.

The thin disposable black nitrile gloves are inexpensive in context of your health and the health of all those around you. I don’t care where you buy your gloves but if your already placing an order for some car wax - add a box of these to your order and be pro-active about prevention.

Disposable Black Nitrile Gloves - Sizes: Medium - Large - X Large - XX Large

Stay safe my friends...

p.s.

If this Coronavirus is not contained and gets out of control in the United States, you're going to want a lot of gloves for everything and anything you have to do in public. Let's hope and pray it doesn't become a problem.

And here I thought I was the only one that does this! Good to see I am not alone. I read about a study somewhere that E. Coli is commonly found on gas pump nozzles. That got my attention to say the least.

Hand sanitizer is effective against some viruses, notably cold viruses and "some" flu viruses. They are not effective against the norovirus (aka "stomach flu"). You have to follow the directions too by using a small amount and rubbing your hands together until they are dry.

Another good practice is to maintain your Vitamin D levels by taking a vitamin D3 supplement during the winter when you can't get any sunlight exposure. Why do more people get colds/flu during the winter? They're inside in close spaces with a lot of people and they aren't getting any Vitamin D from the sun. Once I started taking a vitamin D supplement, I hardly ever get sinus infections.

RamAirV1

Post Thanks / Like

I never thought about sunlight and getting sick. Here, fortunately, we have it pretty much all year long and I noticed I haven’t gotten sick since moving here.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

13. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DetailKitty View Post

I struggle to NOT wear gloves 24/7 and a mask.

Didn't think of this before Mike...

thanks!

No problemo....

I filled up with gas the other day ago, as is my habit, wore a glove for the transaction.

Was watching the news last night and checking on some news related websites. I hope our country is able to miss out on this or at least most of it. That said, nothing wrong with taking a few precautions.

I don't like catching a cold or the flue and I certainly don't want this virus in me.

Like a good Boy Scout, be prepared.

15. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast