autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to avoid germs - Gas Station

I’ve been using nitriles at the pump since January 21st.
    By February 2nd I was wondering why the Dow hadn’t plummeted yet.
    The information was out there for anyone looking for it.

2. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been doing the same since pandemic hit. Thought of this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In addition to the recent news of the two hairdressers who tested positive and had 140 clients not get sick because both hairdressers and clients wore masks. I came across this bit of common sense in a reply post:

If the virus were transmitted easily by contact or lingered on surfaces for a long, extended, period of time with any regularity, the outbreaks would look very different. Instead of superspreading events involving a group of people in confined areas in close proximity at the same time, (or, as in the restaurant case in China, having air circulation systems deliver viral loads directly to people from others in the room) you’d see more associated with locations that don’t have as many people there at once but have a many people through over a period of time.

The virus is transmitted airborne.

6. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, RamAirV1 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

While there's a 25% sale going on -

25% off for the next 11 hours and 40 minutes plus free shipping and a free gift for orders over $99.00

25% off for the next 11 hours and 40 minutes plus free shipping and a free gift for orders over $99.00

In case you live on Mars and didn't know about this,

There's still a few boxes of nitrile gloves left....

6 boxes of MEDIUM black nitrile gloves...

Looks like 10 boxes of the heavy duty orange nitrile gloves in XXL

From the first post on this page....

Here's the difference between the black and the orange gloves.

The black nitrile gloves are thinner and cost less. They also rip easier due to being thin.

Disposable Black Nitrile Gloves - Sizes: Medium - Large - X Large - XX Large

The orange nitrile gloves are much thicker and more stout than the black nitrile gloves and also cost a tick more,

Orange Heavy Duty Nitrile Gloves - Sizes: Medium - Large - X Large - XX Large

Price differences

Box of 100 black nitrile gloves = $16.00 = 17 cents per glove or 34 cents for a pair to wear.

Box of 100 orange nitrile gloves = $18.99 - 19 cents per glove or 38 cents for a pair to wear.

(in most cases you wear a pair of gloves, not just one glove)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post
    In addition to the recent news of the two hairdressers who tested positive and had 140 clients not get sick because both hairdressers and clients wore masks. I came across this bit of common sense in a reply post:

If the virus were transmitted easily by contact or lingered on surfaces for a long, extended, period of time with any regularity, the outbreaks would look very different. Instead of superspreading events involving a group of people in confined areas in close proximity at the same time, (or, as in the restaurant case in China, having air circulation systems deliver viral loads directly to people from others in the room) you’d see more associated with locations that don’t have as many people there at once but have a many people through over a period of time.

The virus is transmitted airborne.
    Odd, I'd like to see some information to show it was the masks that prevented the spread. The masks you see people wear trap about 2% of someone's breath. Also, Utah recently mandated masks in public places and the number of infections are actually still going up. If mask prevent the spread, why would the number of cases actually be in the increase.

Your claim is not supported by any medical community. Your statement is very flawed. People don't wear masks all of the time. They then spread the virus to surfaces and touch those surfaces. They then tough.... gas pumps (and other objects). To say or think mask somehow prevent the spread of Covid 19 is simply incorrect. Covid 19 can last on a pump for _days_.

Lastly, this thread was talking about germs on a gas pump. I'm not sure how many people are breathing on those pump handles as opposed to touching them. The thread is also about wearing gloves (tough) to prevent the spread of those germs.

Masks alone _DO NOT_ prevent the spread of Covid 19. Washing your hands (or preventing contact with the object) is just as important.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RamAirV1 View Post

Maybe even more important!

Looks like you started this thread before the pandemic hit.

RamAirV1

The post date for this thread is,

01-28-2020, 10:55 PM or January 28th, 2020 at just about 11:00pm.

This was the Tuesday night before I left Stuart, Florida on Wednesday for Orlando Florida for Mobile Tech Expo. I'm on the Board of Directors for the IDA and we hold our annual meeting the day before MTE starts, thus on Wednesday.

I remember the news of this virus pandemic was just starting to hit the mainstream media. Back then we were still being told it was okay to attend social events and we didn't need to wear masks.

I'm a news junkie and follow a lot of political websites. For about 2 weeks before I wrote this article I has been watching dozens of very scary videos being shared online from Wuhan, China.

I put the practice of wearing gloves when getting gas into practice a few years ago when we we're still shooting our TV show, Competition Ready because it's simply no fun to try to speak clearly or be "high energy" on camera if you're sick. Then when I started traveling a lot for our Roadshow Detailing Classes, same thing, kept wearing the gloves so I don't get sick while traveling to an offsite location.

I teach on average 8 classes each year at Mobile Tech Expo.

2020 Mobile Tech Expo Class Schedule for Education Day on Thursday in Orlando, Florida

Plus man the Autogeek demo booth plus attend social events at MTE and I was concerned about catching this virus or ANY germ or virus simply due to being in such close proximity with people that would be flying and traveling into Orlando from around the U.S.A. and also the world.

Before leaving for Mobile Tech Expo I took a few pictures to share my own personal practice just as a normal thing I do - write how-to articles.

Each person can decide for themselves what precautions they implement to keep themselves and their family and even co-workers safe.

Me? I wear the gloves when I get gas. Now days I think it's gross to get gas without wearing gloves.

Like everyone else - I'm tired of the pandemic. I'm hoping scientists are able to find a way to get through this and then I hope whatever caused this is prevented in the future.

10. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Like everyone else - I'm tired of the pandemic. I'm hoping scientists are able to find a way to get through this and then I hope whatever caused this is prevented in the future.
    Unfortunately we are only in the early stage of this pandemic, esp. in the U.S. And that is because we have no national strategy to contain it ... only by having widespread, fast (and accurate) testing, robust contact tracing, and isolation of those infected do you contain a virus. New Zealand and South Korea are good models to look at.

I emphasize the word contain because there is no way you are going to control SARS-CoV-2, and more and more, the concept of eliminating the threat from it looks unlikely. Antibody response, and esp. antibody duration, is starting to hint that "herd immunity" and possibly even vaccines may not be the panacea that people hoped for. And that is not a surprise considering our track record with coronaviruses ... for example the common cold is caused by HCoV's (human coronaviruses) and we have no effective vaccine or "cure" for those.

As for future prevention, that would likely require the elimination of many animals (except for humans). Animal-to-human transmission (zoonosis) has been going on for ages, and hunting, trade, habitat degradation, and urbanisation has exacerbated it. That said, bats, primates, and rats have been found to be the host for about 3/4 of the viruses that have spilled over to humans ... so far.

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tcope View Post
    Odd, I'd like to see some information to show it was the masks that prevented the spread. The masks you see people wear trap about 2% of someone's breath. Also, Utah recently mandated masks in public places and the number of infections are actually still going up. If mask prevent the spread, why would the number of cases actually be in the increase.

Your claim is not supported by any medical community. Your statement is very flawed. People don't wear masks all of the time. They then spread the virus to surfaces and touch those surfaces. They then tough.... gas pumps (and other objects). To say or think mask somehow prevent the spread of Covid 19 is simply incorrect. Covid 19 can last on a pump for _days_.

Lastly, this thread was talking about germs on a gas pump. I'm not sure how many people are breathing on those pump handles as opposed to touching them. The thread is also about wearing gloves (tough) to prevent the spread of those germs.

Masks alone _DO NOT_ prevent the spread of Covid 19. Washing your hands (or preventing contact with the object) is just as important.
    My statement is flawed . Because the reported covid numbers in a state (actually this goes for more than Utah) are rising after a Governor declared masks must be worn?

First off, you don't really believe those numbers are an accurate count of the actual number of cases, do you? About the only data you can trust with the politicization of this virus are the hospital admits and the total deaths relative to normal deaths.

But assume that they are continuing to rise (which I believe is correct). There is a lag of 3-4 weeks on any action related to this virus. So, if masks were made mandatory and everyone actually followed the mandate, it would take a month before the beginning of any results to show. But, since so many are not following the mandate, good luck on seeing any results in the near future.

And your flat out wrong about the scientific community. As a whole, they generally believe that airborne transmission is at a minimum the primary way this virus transmits. It's very heavily politicized at this point and a lot of government scientists are holding their tongue.

If you're listening to Fox News or their entertainment commentators ( Yes, that's the legal defense they used when they were sued for reporting false information), you might want to spread out your information base a little bit.

But hey, in the end you have to do what you think is best. So, you wash your hands and I'll wear a mask. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    Just a random thought/addition, since this article was written when the state of things were a bit different.

Back when it was written, the goal was to avoid catching the cold/flu. Now with Covid-19 out there, not only do you Really not want to catch that, but other variables in life are different as well. PPE is in huge demand as everyone has taken interest in taking action to protect themselves - not to mention all the medical professionals, first responders, and others working to keep us all healthy/safe. Also, many people have lost their jobs or had their income drastically affected by all of the changes.

So, I've been using black nitrile gloves that I bought from my work when pumping gas or shopping. Like the gloves I'm sure most glove-wielding AG'rs are using, one of the things I like most about them is how durable they are (this contributes to the previously mentioned eternity required for them to break down in landfills..). The downside is they're not super cheap.
    At work, I'll frequently reuse them as long as they don't have big holes in them. This cuts down on unnecessary waste and expense (I work at a small shop).

Based on (disclaimer: my understanding of) all the information available about Covid-19 (and it's similarity to other viruses), instead of (IMO, unnecessarily) throwing the gloves away after a single use, I've been cleaning and reusing them. Upon (careful no-cooties) removal, they get put aside for a few days, then after I accumulate enough I just wash them (inside and out) in a bin of soapy water.

If 20 second hand washing is enough to kill viruses on our skin (again, based on my understanding of descriptions that hand washing breaks down the fatty outside of the virus, killing it), I don't see why it wouldn't be effective on a non-porous surface.

You could also just let them sit on the shelf long enough that the Virus should no longer be viable from strictly the time element. But, I like the peace of mind of mechanically cleaning them as well.

Again, just a thought as

A: your favorite gloves might not be so easy to restock next time you go to buy them, and

B: You might not have the same cash flow as you used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

There's still a few boxes of nitrile gloves left....

6 boxes of MEDIUM black nitrile gloves...

Looks like 10 boxes of the heavy duty orange nitrile gloves in XXL

Just wanted to revisit the thought of one time use of gloves. (My post was from April, Mike's from the recent sale July 15 ) Again, hygienically single use is the right thing to do, but like I mentioned in my post a while back - availability on gloves is likely to get scarce. Example: Autogeek is out of stock of their offerings.

I work in auto repair - I spoke a couple weeks ago with the supplier that stocks our shop supplies (gloves included). He's been on daily quests to source and obtain gloves to sell to his customers. We're no longer able to request our preferred gloves, you can only request getting gloves period. I don't think we've been able to get our preferred gloves since May, maybe even April.

He mentioned he had recently been on a conference call with his company's suppliers, they were telling him it's likely going to be spring of 2021 before they're expecting supplies to be back up. He said they talked about the companies making gloves experiencing materials shortages; I wouldn't be surprised if there are bottlenecks from various shut-downs that have been taking place as well.

Thought I'd throw a heads up out there. Do as you please with your gloves, but I'll continue "quarantining" the one's I've worn to be batch-washed and reused. If nothing else, I'm saving money on gloves and preventing waste.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post

Thought I'd throw a heads up out there. Do as you please with your gloves, but I'll continue "quarantining" the one's I've worn to be batch-washed and reused.

If nothing else, I'm saving money on gloves and preventing waste.

Thanks for sharing. Another guy had this same topic in the U.K. where I also post.

How to avoid germs at the Gas Station - Detailing World

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast