autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Backing Plate Swap - 5 inch backing plate for the Griot's Garage G9

Backing Plate Swap - 5 inch backing plate for the Griot's Garage G9

For everyone purchasing a Griot's Garage G9 random orbital polisher, (either from Autogeek or somewhere else), it comes from the factory, (in the box), with a 6" backing plate. I'm telling you straight-up, this tool has the POWER to turn and churn any 6" and larger pads that you attach to this size backing plate.

BUT - the way my mind thinks is like this,

After purchasing the tool, the next thing you're going to do is start investing money into pads. Smaller diameter pads fit modern car body panels better. That's simply a fact. So before investing your hard earned money in 6" and larger diameter pads, bite the bullet and get the Griot's 5" backing plate and THEN start investing in 5.5" and 6" buffing pads.

I guarantee you - you will appreciate this as time goes by.

Here's my personal G9 - given to me by Griot's. I tend to put my name on all my work tools for 2 reasons,

1: So if someone steals any of the tools they'll remember where they stole it from and who.

2: It's in my contract that I can keep all prototypes and new tools given to me by tool companies. I have a nice collection to date.

In the below picture you can also see the 5" backing plate compared to the factory installed 6" backing plate.

5" backing plate on the left, factory installed 6" backing plate on the right.

To remove the 6" backing plate you insert the 14mm backing plate wrench in behind the backing plate onto the free spinning spindle. You'll seen in another picture below what you're trying to do here.

While holding the spindle in place, grab the backing plate and turn it counter clockwise.

With the backing plate removed, you can now see where the wrench is fits onto the free floating spindle bearing.

To install the 5" backing plate, I place my thumb on the compression washer to make sure it doesn't fall off and then align the threaded stud wit the spindle...

Start the backing plate threading into the spindle - it should spin in easily with just your fingers spinning the backing plate clockwise.

Then hold the spindle with the wrench from spinning while tightening down the backing plate until snug.

Next center the backing plate onto your buffing pad of choice and you're ready to start buffing with a 5" backing plate.

On Autogeek.com

Griot's Garage G9 - 5 inch Vented Backing Plate

2. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Backing Plate Swap - 5 inch backing plate for the Griot's Garage G9

More....

Also - see my article on pads for the 5" backing plate here,

Foam Pad Options for the Griots G9 Polisher

4. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I think you meant to say in your first post here, "to then start buying 5.5" and 6" Pads".

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post

Mike, I think you meant to say in your first post here, "to then start buying 5.5" and 6" Pads".

Thanks Mark,

I was in the middle of typing this up when we broke for a company lunch.

I've fixed and actually re-typed the info in the above first post and after lunch I took a few pictures to tell the rest of the story.

7. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I see you corrected that Mike. Sorry to nitpick, I knew what you meant, but just so others know.

And one other thing I'm not sure you've mentioned about the new G9, and the purchase of a smaller 5" Backing Plate.

In another thread, I had read information that Griots Garage actually makes two 5" Ventilated Backing Plates.

There's the older model which is said to be best used with the GG6, PC7424 and variants, and all others that use a 5/16" Backing Plate attachment (Megs-Harbor Freight-etc).

Then another, newer Griots Garage 5" Ventilated Backing Plate that is specifically designed to be utilized with the GG9.
    Something stated that Griots mentioned about better compatibility with the G9's Counterweight Cooling Fin Design.

Hope this helps.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post

I see you corrected that Mike. Sorry to nitpick, I knew what you meant, but just so others know.

And one other thing I'm not sure you've mentioned about the new G9, and the purchase of a smaller 5" Backing Plate.

In another thread, I had read information that Griots Garage actually makes two 5" Ventilated Backing Plates.

There's the older model which is said to be best used with the GG6, PC7424 and variants, and all others that use a 5/16" Backing Plate attachment (Megs-Harbor Freight-etc).

Then another, newer Griots Garage 5" Ventilated Backing Plate that is specifically designed to be utilized with the GG9.
    Something stated that Griots mentioned about better compatibility with the G9's Counterweight Cooling Fin Design.

Hope this helps.

That helps a lot Mark and thank you.

For anyone reading this into the future, Mark is correct, there are 2 Griot's Garage 5" backing plates. The backing plate I link to above is the CORRECT backing plate that is tuned to this tool.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike,

I was thinking about a G9 and I asked Griot's about the supported 5 inch backing plates, specifically if the older version(V1) vented plate would work on the G9. Their response was, yes. Have you tired one on the G9? Do you know what or if there are any differences between the two?

Thanks

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RobThom View Post

Hey Mike,

I was thinking about a G9 and I asked Griot's about the supported 5 inch backing plates, specifically if the older version(V1) vented plate would work on the G9.

Their response was, yes. Have you tired one on the G9? Do you know what or if there are any differences between the two?

Thanks

Yes, I've used both and of course, they both fit. Most if not all DA backing plates use a 5/16" fine thread stud - so they'll fit any DA incluing the Griot's units, Porter Cable, Meguiar's MT300, Harbor Frieght, DAS 6, and on and on and on....

I believe the differences between the backing plates are shared in this video.

They start talking about backing plates at the 28 minute mark.

Me? I know a lot of the guys at Griot's. I worked with about a half dozen of them at Meguiar's. These guys are the real-deal and Richard and Nick Griot area also the real deal. In the video is Jeff Brown, Nick Griot and Sam Battersby and these guys are stand-up guys sharing accurate info about this tool and it's parts.

So when they tell you the new backing plate specifically made for the new G( is TUNED for maximum performance for this tool, you can take that to the bank.

12. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

More...

I have a new article with info for foam pads for the 5 inch backing plate here,

Foam Pad Options for the Griots G9 Polisher

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    That helps a lot Mark and thank you.

For anyone reading this into the future, Mark is correct, there are 2 Griot's Garage 5" backing plates. The backing plate I link to above is the CORRECT backing plate that is tuned to this tool.

Hi, looking to pull the trigger on a G9 as my first polisher. If this is the recommended backing plate, any way we can order one of the kits from autogeek with it included? The kits you have seem to include an LC 5" non-vented backing plate instead. Or is the difference marginal and the LC will be fine? Thanks,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast