autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Foam Pad Options for the Griots G9 Polisher

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

I've added more pads and some info about them above.

Right now, here's my personal preferences for this tool.

The Griot's 5.5" Universal in Orange, Black and Red
    Orange for light cutting/polishing and also applying a one-step cleaner/wax. The black for finishing and red for machine applying a wax or sealant.

The Buff & Shine Uro-Tech in Maroon, Yellow and White
    Maroon for cutting, yellow for polishing or using a one-step cleaner/wax, white for fine polishing or machine applying a wax or sealant.

The RUPES - all colors
    The blue is really aggressive and the green a few ticks less aggressive. The yellow is good for polishing or applying a one step cleaner/wax and the white for fine polishing or machine applying a wax or sealant.

GET THE GRIOT'S 5' BACKING PLATE

Also - the Griot's G9 comes with a 6" backing plate. My recommendation is to go ahead and bite the bullet and purchase the 5" backing plate right from the start. This way you start out investing in 5.5 and 6" pads istead of investing in 6.5" and 7" pads.

Make sense?

Griot's Garage 5 Inch Vented Backing Plate $19.99

Hope this helps....

What is the difference between the GR-10550 and the GR-10555 backing plates? They are both 5 inch backing plates.

RamAirV1

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RamAirV1 View Post

What is the difference between the GR-10550 and the GR-10555 backing plates? They are both 5 inch backing plates.

RamAirV1

There's actually a number of improvements to the NEW backing plates TUNED to the G9.

In my opinion, it's worth getting the new and improved backing plate as I think they cost the same.

3. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RamAirV1 View Post

RamAirV1

Good question by the way.

For anyone with the same questions, click the link below to go to my how-to article on swapping out the 6" for the 5" backing plate. Here's the link,

Backing Plate Swap - 5 inch backing plate for the Griot's Garage G9

And then in post #8

I include the Griot's Video where Jeff Brown goes over all the differences and improvements to the new style backing plates. Really interesting stuff. Jeff put a lot of work into these tools and he's a true gear-head.

Ah heck, I'll just do all the work for everyone....

From the above article....

I believe the differences between the backing plates are shared in this video.

They start talking about backing plates at the 28 minute mark.

5. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am finding that the LC Force pads are pretty damn good all around pads. I don't own a G9 yet but I bet they would work well.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    I am finding that the LC Force pads are pretty damn good all around pads. I don't own a G9 yet but I bet they would work well.

They are a fairly thick pad but I think the G9 could rotate them well.

This is always the challenge when using any free spinning random orbital and that is maintaining pad rotation.

8. Likes DBAILEY liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

The HDO, Uro-Tec and Rupes pads all work well on the G9.
    '03 Corvette Z06

11. Thanks seanktm thanked for this post
    Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    They are a fairly thick pad but I think the G9 could rotate them well.

This is always the challenge when using any free spinning random orbital and that is maintaining pad rotation.

Can anyone verify that LC Force pads are not too thick for the G9's? Comfort is great with LC Force Hybrid, but wouldn't want to get more pad stalling in exchange...

Also, would it be crazy to use thin pads (say BOSS) on the G8 and use thicker pads (say LC Force) on the G9 for correcting and polishing the same vehicle? My thinking is that the thinner pads can maximize the smaller profile of the G8 getting me to tighter places while a thicker pad can make using the G9 a little more comfortable.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I don't know how thickness compares to the Lake Country Force pads, but I've used my G9 with the 6.5" regular thickness (non BOSS) Griot's pads, and it has no problem keeping them rotating.

I hate to sound like a broken record (I think I chime in each time this question comes up), but I found the standard thickness 6.5" pads actually stalled less for my doing curvy spots then the BOSS pads, or possibly even standard thickness 5.5" pads. Short throw machines from the past have us so conditioned to thinking that you have to use thin pads to keep rotation up; I don't know if it's the digital speed controller, more power, or both but the G9 really seems to go away from that for me.

Which has been a big relief, because I had accumulated a lot of regular pads for my GG6 before learning thin pads were where it was at.

And I don't see any issue using different thicknesses for different machines - the paint will tell you what it needs, and whatever that turns out to be is right.

14. Thanks seanktm thanked for this post
    Likes seanktm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the insight! LC Force Hybrid is close to 1.25" thick which makes it one of the thickest. Since all of Griot's pads are between 5/8"(BOSS) and 1"(non-BOSS), I was wondering if their newer G9 will be balanced and still have enough power with the these thick ones. What you said makes sense though. I will have some 5.5" Force pads this weekend, so when it's a little warmer outside hopefully next week, I will be putting them to the test! And, I will be receiving some 3" BOSS pads for the G8, so I will see how easy it is to use two machines with two different pad families on a single vehicle. Thanks again for pointing out the big picture!

16. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast