autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Supa BEAST and CBEAST Backing Plate Swap by Mike Phillips

Supa BEAST and CBEAST Backing Plate Swap by Mike Phillips

The Supa Beast and the CBEAST will ship with a 4 7/8" backing plate. Let's just call it a 5" backing plate. There is an optional 5 3/4" backing plate, let's just call it a 6" backing plate.

Because of the power this tool provides, for my time I'm upgrading to the larger backing plate so I can turn and churn larger pads. Larger pads mean a bigger footprint and that's what I want when tackling any car and especially large vehicles. It's all about speed, the amount of time needed to go from start to finish WHILE maintaining pro-quality results.

I just swapped backing plates, here's some pictures to tell the story.

Here I've removed the factory backing plate.

Here's the part number for the 6" backing plate.

Allow me to point out the new features that lock the backing plate into the rotating shroud for a positive lock-up.

The new design has these tabs formed into the backing plate.

These tabs LOCK into matching slots on the rotating shroud. What this does is it takes ALL the pressure off the 3 bolts that hold the backing plate to the rotating shroud. No stress on the bolts. You get a solid, locked-up attachment of backing plate to rotating shroud.

Tighten down bolts.

Ready to PLOW PAINT!

The Supa BEAST!

Lots of plowing to do....

ON AUTOGEEK.COM

FLEX XFE 7-15 6 inch Backing Plate

This backing plate fits the following FLEX tools

The SUPA BEAST

The CBEAST

The Cordless FINISHER

The Corded FINISHER

Mike Phillips recommended foam pads for the FLEX Family of BEAST 8mm Gear-Driven Orbital Polishers

Mike Phillips recommended foam pads for the FLEX Family of BEAST 8mm Gear-Driven Orbital Polishers

2. Thanks Diner, Detailchick thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Supa BEAST backing plate swap

Mike, maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention, but is this the new 3401?
    -Chris

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    CHRIS Aka Waxmaster

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a 3401 with a facelift. Looks like a more ergonomic body. Might make taming the beast a bit more comfortable. I would much rather have that new forward pad/handle on my 3401.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by WaxMaster1 View Post

Mike, maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention, but is this the new 3401?

-Chris

Yes.

Jim aka Dr. Olds coined the nickname Super BEAST to delineate between the normal BEAST or the FLEX XC 3401 VRG and the new BEAST which the part number is the FLEX XCE 10-8 125 - and here's the deal, NO ONE is going to call these tools by their part numbers. Not only do people, and by people I mean primarily guys, but "yes" there are more and more girls getting into the car detailing industry, but even they are not going to call tools by their part numbers. It's ridiculous.

Biggest mistake Makita made was to not give their gear-driven orbital polisher a cool nickname. Instead, it's known by it's part number and I'm probably the only guy that references it by it's complete part number either verbally or via the written word.

Somewhere no this forum Jim referred to the new 3401 as the Super Beast. I liked it but thought the slang version of the word Super was cooler. So instead of Super Beast it's the Supa BEAST! You all can call it whatever you want to but I think the term Supa BEAST has already stuck. Just like CBEAST has already stuck for the Cordless 3401 and just like the new PXE 80 is now being called the Pixie or the PiXiE.

From my write-up here,

NEW FLEX XCE 3401 Corded and Cordless Polishers!

Here's the other new FLEX tool everyone has been waiting for! The FLEX XCE 10-8 125

This tool chassis is the same as the battery operated version. Note the aluminum shroud has been removed. This makes the tool lighter and reduces heat.

This is #09 for the production design FLEX XCE 10-8 125 - Numbering starts at 01000

The aluminum shroud is gone and now it's lightweight, cooler running plastic.

6. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Just to add....

This is also from my write up here,

NEW FLEX XCE 3401 Corded and Cordless Polishers!

Note also the RED 5" backing plate. This is will be the factory installed backing plate for both polishers.

A 6" backing plate will also be available.

This morning, I installed the 6" backing plate.

My write-ups are usually very thorough and detailed. I rarely leave anything out.

8. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I might go for the cordless one!

I just bought for the first time some Rupes and Uro tech big 7" pads to use with my flex 3401 on my fathers truck. I was thinking the same as you. Trying to plow through it in 1 day start to finish. I figure with the 7" pads and Meguiars 1 step I should be able to get it done.

I know the beast can churn those big pads no problem. If anyone was wondering the new rupes show car polish for forced rotation machines works great.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m glad to see this option available. I myself prefer to run the 6.5 inch pads. This allows the user to choose to their liking.

Can wait to get my hands on the Supa Beast. My Original Beast has been just that.... A BEAST!!!
    Jim

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post

I might go for the cordless one!

I love the cordless CBEAT but I want to comment on it versus the corded version and I've been very consistent with my comment when talking in person and typing on social media.

I love the gear-drive cordless CBEAST. Not having to mess with a cord for a tool that has ZERO pad stalling issues is great.

If however I'm in a HURRY to get the paint correction step done as fast as humanly possible - then I great the SUPA BEAST.

No cordless polisher will ever has as much power as a corded tool.

This is why sometimes you see me sharing a detail job with the CBEAST, (I wasn't in a hurry), and sometimes the SUPA BEAST, (I was in a hurry)

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post

I just bought for the first time some Rupes and Uro tech big 7" pads to use with my flex 3401 on my fathers truck. I was thinking the same as you. Trying to plow through it in 1 day start to finish. I figure with the 7" pads and Meguiars 1 step I should be able to get it done.

I know the beast can churn those big pads no problem. If anyone was wondering the new rupes show car polish for forced rotation machines works great.

Big pads on the BEAST - the only way to plow through a car detail.

Mike Phillips

Shared here,

Which buffing pads for the FLEX XCE 10-8 Supa Beast?

And then get some Lake Country 6.5" Force Hybrid pads.

Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish 6.5 Inch Pads

I can plow through just about any project with a collection of,

Orange
    White
    Black

Mostly the orange and white.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike or anyone who can verify for sure,

1 Do the backing plates come with the Allen style bolts? The old plate on my finisher has torx. I’d prefer the Allen style.(the CBeast comes with the updated BP and Allen bolts) I want to update my corded finisher.

2 Are both size backing plates in stock at AG the newer updated versions with the locking tabs?

Thank you

Jim
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast