autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

A paint cleaner is an either/or product - The difference between a paint cleaner and a paint polish by Mike Phillips

A paint cleaner is an either/or product - The difference between a paint cleaner and a paint polish by Mike Phillips

There's always been a TON of confusion over paint cleaners. I remember back when Meguiar's sold their 3-Step consumer line of product that included a paint cleaner, a paint polish and a wax. The paint cleaner was NON-abrasive, chemical cleaning only. (I have a story about that product). Besides Meguiar's, a lot of other companies offer a simple, chemical-only cleaning product generically called a paint cleaner.

What is a paint cleaner?
    A paint cleaner is typically cleans the surface of the paint to remove light oxidization, surface impurities, built-up wax, gloss enhancers, shine ingredients, etc. It LIGHTLY cleans or REMOVES anything sitting on the top surface to reveal a fresh base of paint. This prepares the paint to accept a coat of wax or synthetic sealant. For paint in new or like new condition, that is paint that either does NOT have below surface defects like swirls and scratches, or for people that DON'T care about removing below surface defects like swirls and scratches, a paint cleaner is a necessary product to use after washing and before applying a NON-cleaning wax or sealant.

Non-cleaning waxes and sealants - Show Car Waxes - Show Car Sealants
    Most of the waxes and sealants at your local auto parts stores are one-step cleaner/waxes. The online world calls these AIOs. A cleaner/wax, or a cleaner/sealant or an AIO are all the EXACT same thing, just different words to give them a name. These types of products do 3 things in one step,

1. Clean
    2. Polish
    3. Protect

Non-Cleaning Waxes - Finishing Waxes - Show Car Waxes
    Another group of waxes and/or sealants offer ZERO cleaning ability, at your local auto parts stores, these would be Meguiar's M21 Hi Tech Yellow Wax or Mothers California Gold Carnauba Wax. There might be other non-cleaning waxes at the retail level but historically, these are two such product that have been consistently available.

Here's the deal...

For neglected paint you can get away with a one-step cleaner/wax. But you CANNOT use a non-cleaning wax. The reasons should be obvious but if you don't know why - the paint on a daily driver gets a dirt stain on it from exposure to the world. A cleaner/wax will remove this dirt stain and leave the paint looking CLEAR and shiny while also protecting it. A NON-CLEANING wax or sealant will NOT remove road film or dirt staining. It also won't remove any oxidation or other surface impurities. In fact, it will seal all these negative substances ONTO the paint.

This is historically where paint cleaner fits into the car waxing process. If you're going to us a non-cleaning wax or sealant on a daily driver or on neglected paint, you would first use a paint cleaner.

What is a paint polish?
    A true paint polish contain some form of ABRASIVE TECHNOLOGY. In my opinion and experience, the abrasive technology used by any brand of compounds and polishes is either GREAT or it's crap. There is no in-between because it either works, or it doesn't. If the abrasive technology works this means it can be moved over a painted surface where it will remove below surface defects WITHOUT leaving it's own mark or scratch. If it doesn't work, this means sure it will remove below surface defects but it replaces them with it's own defects usually called micro-marring.

Micro-marring is the kind, nice and fluffy way to say scratching.

So bad abrasive technology leaves scratches in the paint. I call this working backwards.

What is a Fine Cut Polish?
    A fine cut polish is simply that, it only lightly abrades the surface to remove only a small amount of paint. Thus a fine cut polish is only for removing SHALLOW defects or for use after a more aggressive process like using an aggressive compound or a medium cut polish.

A fine cut polish can also be used in place of a paint cleaner as they will do the same thing, lightly clean the surface only a fine cut polish will do MORE than a paint cleaner as it will clean the surface AND remove shallow below surface paint defects.

Paint Cleaner vs Paint Polish

You either use a paint cleaner and move on to your sealing process OR you skip the paint cleaner and use a polish or a compound and polishes and then move onto your sealing process.

You don't use both. This would not only be redundant, it would be a waste of your time, energy and money.

And for what it's worth, I never use paint cleaners except to share what they are and how to use them.

Why?

Because for ALL the work and time it takes to apply a paint cleaner, which hardly does anything, (perfect for some paint and some people, just not me), instead I could use a fine cut polish.

A QUALITY fine cut polish, that is a brand that uses GREAT abrasive technology, will do EVERYTHING a paint cleaner will do and MORE.

A paint cleaner JUST lightly cleans the surface of paint.

A fine cut polish will lightly clean the surface of paint AND remove minor defects.

You get so much more bang for the buck from your time, energy, money and results to use a fine cut polish over a paint cleaner.

But as a co-worker here at Autogeek once said to me when I first came to Autogeek in 2009,

Never spend another man's money

So I'm not saying a paint cleaner is a bad product, it's the perfect product for some people and some paint.

But for me? I know how to use a machine so for the same amount of time, money and effort I would always choose a fine cut polish over a paint cleaner.

Make sense?

And that my cyber friends is the difference between a paint cleaner and a polish.

Mike Phillips

Re: A paint cleaner is an either/or product - The difference between a paint cleaner and a paint polish by Mike Phillips

***Placeholder***

Saving this place for a few pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A paint cleaner is an either/or product - The difference between a paint cleaner and a paint polish by Mike Phillips

Interesting thread, Mike.

I can see where some would want to use a paint cleaner instead of a polish. Maybe those that are trying to leave as much of their clear coat on? Granted, a fine cut polish will remove very little itself.

Or maybe the person that just likes to try different waxes and uses a paint cleaner to remove the old stuff? I don't know.

Here's a thread I made for Blackfire Paint Cleaner...Review: BLACKFIRE Paint Cleaner

Post Thanks / Like

Some good points in this article. Mike, while I only agree with you about 80% regarding a paint cleaner vs finishing polish, respectfully allow me give a viewpoint that falls in to the “exception to the rule category”

I get a lot of repeat business. To the point where I am the only one touching their paint period. I do all washing, maintenance, protecting, etc. I see these vehicles 3+ times a year for maintenance details on top of washes.

My process is a wash, iron removal chemical treatment, claying, a cleansing polish and LSP. Tires, wheels, glass, blah blah blah. Anyway to my point. I like to use a paintwork cleaner also known as a pure polish without abrasives to remove what I call the BURGS(Built Up Road Grime Staining) or paint staining. This process deep cleans the paint while leaving it ready for whatever LSP. We can agree that a fine cut polish will also do this plus some. Usually besides the BURGS, the paint is in great shape.

Now why do I prefer a paint cleanser?? I can buzz around a vehicle lightning fast. I work large sections(half a hood) with minimal section passes and fast arm speed. I don’t have to worry about a polish breaking down. I also am not removing any clear, not that a finishing polish removes a lot but still.. The dirt my pads pick up can truly be amazing sometimes!!

Now for my paintwork cleanser, I use a product that is also my metal polish, glass polish and polish for smooth glossy plastics(think ventvisors type plastic). It will remove some etchings and very fine swirls depending on pad choice. Wipes off super easy and is economical for me. I use Poorboys Pro Polish BTW.

This whole process from wash to LSP, I can usually do in about 4 hours give or take depending on vehicle size. It’s a good money maker and clients are always happy!

You may ask why not just use an AIO. To answer is that I can choose any LSP that will give the client longer durability than an AIO or perhaps the client wants a specific LSP.

Again this use of a paintwork cleaner may be an exception to the rule but it works for me and I wanted to share with you.

Respectfully
    Jim
    Jim

5. Likes mbkite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Now for my paintwork cleanser, I use a product that is also my metal polish, glass polish and polish for smooth glossy plastics(think ventvisors type plastic). It will remove some etchings and very fine swirls depending on pad choice. Wipes off super easy and is economical for me. I use Poorboys Pro Polish BTW.

Respectfully
    Jim
    When I was reading that, I was thinking, "sounds like what I use" which happens to be Poorboy's Pro Polish.A paint cleaner is an either/or product - The difference between a paint cleaner and a paint polish by Mike Phillips

On AIOs, I use their Polish with Sealant, depending on the job. Otherwise, Blackfire One Step.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

7. Likes Dr Oldz liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post

Some good points in this article. Mike, while I only agree with you about 80% regarding a paint cleaner vs finishing polish, respectfully allow me give a viewpoint that falls in to the “exception to the rule category”

I get a lot of repeat business. To the point where I am the only one touching their paint period.

And this is a perfect example of when to use a paint cleaner and that's when you're in control.

Great explanation for how and when you use a paint cleaner Jim, thanks for sharing in this article, I sure others will benefit moving into the future.

Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

I think that every wax, even the non-cleaning waxes do have a bit of cleaning ability. Not a lot, but a bit. I say that because of the solvents for carnauba chemically speaking, does have the ability to remove some things from the paint. Mind you, I'm no chemist but I believe that the solvents in most (I don't want to say 100%) carnauba specifically based waxes are strong enough as carnauba is a hard substance and in order to soften it for application, the solvents have to be of a specific grade that would prevent the carnauba itself from hardening to their natural state. I think the other thing too about carnauba solvents is that there is a PH balancing agent as well as the actual wax itself can become acidic.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread with good paint cleaning advice.

Mike Phillips

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast