autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coated under 15 minutes using PBL Surface Coating

Paulgyro, I’m still surprised there are any issues knocking off high spots from Surface Coating after only 1 minute wait time. I’ve been lazy and come back 3 minutes later and they leveled right out. What are the environmental conditions that you are applying in?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 986DTM View Post
    I'd say the speed and manner in which I do it is more or less like the way you would use a spray wax i.e. few sprays, quickly spread, move on. For tight areas or areas where you don't want over spray, you can try spraying the product directly on your microfibre then applying. I've had no difficulty removing high spots. How many you have will depend on how thorough you are! If you're someone who leaves streaks and excess behind when you spray wax then the same will apply here. I know it seems counterintuitive that you're not "working the product in" as much with this method but I definitely notice an immediate increase in slickness when applying the product this way, so to me that must mean coating is on there and I've got sufficient coverage.

Honestly just try a small panel with this method, preferably on a dark car so you can see the product spread. It's really quite foolproof this way. You won't mess anything up and you'll have the hang of it in no more than 5 minutes.
    A gotcha, nice way of putting it like a quick spray wax. I'll try it like that with MF and not the form applicator that is recommended.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Paulgyro, I’m still surprised there are any issues knocking off high spots from Surface Coating after only 1 minute wait time. I’ve been lazy and come back 3 minutes later and they leveled right out. What are the environmental conditions that you are applying in?
    Note that I worked the product until it disappears like the instructions say....but the issue is the high spots don't go away! They just become super hard and I need to apply more product to get them off.

I'm in the Phoenix, AZ area. So it's been in the 60s and dry when I'm applying. I think the main issue is that I am working the product until it disappears but only 50% disappears, perhaps just too long. Maybe the instructions are just wrong?

4. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paulgyro View Post
    Note that I worked the product until it disappears like the instructions say....but the issue is the high spots don't go away! They just become super hard and I need to apply more product to get them off.

I'm in the Phoenix, AZ area. So it's been in the 60s and dry when I'm applying. I think the main issue is that I am working the product until it disappears but only 50% disappears, perhaps just too long. Maybe the instructions are just wrong?
    Weather sounds optimal. My stuff flashes rather quickly. I can only work it for seconds before its dried and then even if I wait a minute the high spots come right out. Wish I had an answer or even a problem cause for you.

I guess you could try just applying and only working on for 10 seconds and then wipe?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Weather sounds optimal. My stuff flashes rather quickly. I can only work it for seconds before its dried and then even if I wait a minute the high spots come right out. Wish I had an answer or even a problem cause for you.

I guess you could try just applying and only working on for 10 seconds and then wipe?
    That's exactly what I'm going to do per what Autogeek customer service recommended. Work for only 10-15 secs and wipe as needed only.

I contacted Pinnacle directly for more tech support but just was forwarded to voicemail and haven't heard back.

7. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Just to note - right now there is a 50% off sale for this product. It's exactly what I say it is. So this is the time to buy it to test it out or if you've already trusted me and purchased it and found it to be what I say it is then this is the time to stock up.

PBMG brands 50% off sale

The sale is good for 24 hours and at the time I'm posting this, 11:00pm on Thursday, March 26, 2020 you have 13 more hours to get in while the getting is good.

9. Likes paulgyro liked this post
    Mike Phillips

So I've been using the Surface Coating on my 2018 BMW X2 Blackout Edition (black black and more black). Specifically I've applied it to the roof at this point.

I must say the gloss and slickness are great! Dare I say better then the rest of the vehicle that is coated with CarPro CQuartz which is very grabby as noted above.
    Correct. Very slick and slippery. Exactly what everyone I know - wants from thier car's paint.

I do have application questions as I get a ton of high spots that are very hard to buff out (yes harder to get rid of them CQuartz).

Forget the above application directions and just,

Keep it Simple Simon

Mist a little onto microfiber towel, then mist some product onto a panel - then use the microfiber towel to spread the product around and wipe off until it disappears or give a final wipe with a clean, separate dry towel.

The stuff is super easy to use.

I wouldn't try to apply this spray-on product like a normal coating, it's a waste of time and the wrong method of application for this type of product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Correct. Very slick and slippery. Exactly what everyone I know - wants from thier car's paint.

Forget the above application directions and just,

Keep it Simple Simon

Mist a little onto microfiber towel, then mist some product onto a panel - then use the microfiber towel to spread the product around and wipe off until it disappears or give a final wipe with a clean, separate dry towel.

The stuff is super easy to use.

I wouldn't try to apply this spray-on product like a normal coating, it's a waste of time and the wrong method of application for this type of product.

Say on a door panel how many sprays would you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Wolfgang SCC and found spraying directly on a foam applicator was the best method to apply. Spraying on a panel outside is hit or miss.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post

Say on a door panel how many sprays would you recommend?

One or two mists of product always seems right.

Quote Originally Posted by DUBL0WS6 View Post

I have the Wolfgang SCC and found spraying directly on a foam applicator was the best method to apply.
    That's an acceptable process.

What kind of applicator are you're talking about? The simple round foam type?

Quote Originally Posted by DUBL0WS6 View Post

Spraying on a panel outside is hit or miss.
    If there's any wind at all when working outside then I agree - misting onto a door means spraying mist through the air and too often any wind will simply waste the product.

14. Thanks Coatingsarecrack thanked for this post
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456