autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coated under 15 minutes using PBL Surface Coating

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    CQuartz feels much different when Gliss is applied over it. The paint then feels slick and more hydrophobic. I don't know if you're willing to now put that on top due to how complicated it can be but next time you coat with CQuartz make sure to use Gliss as well.
    Interesting Bruno, is CQuartz grabby like I said without Gliss? I currently have Reload on top of it per CarPro's recommendation. I don't think I'd want to spend the money on Gliss at this point. If I was going to do anything I'd strip the Reload and apply PBL Surface Coating. My car budget it tapped out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paulgyro View Post
    Interesting Bruno, is CQuartz grabby like I said without Gliss? I currently have Reload on top of it per CarPro's recommendation. I don't think I'd want to spend the money on Gliss at this point. If I was going to do anything I'd strip the Reload and apply PBL Surface Coating. My car budget it tapped out.
    Yes, CQuartz is grabby w/o Gliss. That's why they released the topping coat, to fix that issue. It also adds a bit more gloss and water behavior.
    Once the car is coated and already had Reload on it, then it's too late for Gliss. There's a way to try and strip Reload but I'd guess at that point the durability of Gliss will be affected.
    Next time you do the entire process again, don't be scared of going with CQuartz but keep in mind Gliss would make the coating much nicer.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

I like Cancoat on top of my CQUK3.0. Looks good and adds a little slickness if your into that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Thanks paulgyro thanked for this post
    Likes paulgyro liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So I've been using the Surface Coating on my 2018 BMW X2 Blackout Edition (black black and more black). Specifically I've applied it to the roof at this point.

I must say the gloss and slickness are great! Dare I say better then the rest of the vehicle that is coated with CarPro CQuartz which is very grabby as noted above.

I do have application questions as I get a ton of high spots that are very hard to buff out (yes harder to get rid of them CQuartz).

I've noticed that the bottle and product web page have different application instructions.

The bottle says.
    1) Spray Directly onto surface
    2) Distribute with foam applicator
    3) Immediately remove excess with MF towel
    4) Do not expose to water for 12 hours

The product page says:
    1) Polish
    2) Spray on panel
    3) Distribute with foam applicator, work the coating into the surface until it disappears
    4) If high spots occur lightly buff off
    5) Wait 24 hours before topping with paste wax

My steps
    1) Polished with CarePro Essence, waited 1 hour
    2) Used CarPro Eraser
    3) Applied the Surface Coating to a 2x2 section with the Lake Country Golden Foam applicator working it into the paint until no more worked in. At this point about 50% of the product disappeared (maybe about 1 minute of working it?). Note I used ONE spray of the coating for the section and a little misted on the applicator itself.
    4) Buff off the high spots. Note this takes forever as they are very hard to remove. Sometime I have to use a little bit more product to try and get rid of the high spots. Sometimes I can't get them off at all so I'm debating if they are bad enough to do back and hand polish the spot and reapply.

Thoughts? Am I just working it too long? Should I work it into the paint for 10-15 secs and then wipe? Use I use microfiber like Mike says he does in another thread?

Any help and suggestions would be helpful.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Paul, how old is your bottle of Surface Coating? The reason I ask is because McKee's coating felt like that and it had extremely short shelf life. I don't have experience with the PBL coating but it could be similar and the product in the bottle is partially cured which makes spreading it and more noticeably, removing it, super hard to do.
    Bruno Soares

7. Likes paulgyro liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Paul, how old is your bottle of Surface Coating? The reason I ask is because McKee's coating felt like that and it had extremely short shelf life. I don't have experience with the PBL coating but it could be similar and the product in the bottle is partially cured which makes spreading it and more noticeably, removing it, super hard to do.
    I'm not sure, I'll contact Autogeek support and see if they can decode how old the product is based on the number stamped on the label.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure, I'll contact Autogeek support and see if they can decode how old the product is based on the number stamped on the label.
    AG support said the product isn't old and that I should work the product less in a smaller area.

Post Thanks / Like

So I've been using the Surface Coating on my 2018 BMW X2 Blackout Edition (black black and more black). Specifically I've applied it to the roof at this point.

I must say the gloss and slickness are great! Dare I say better then the rest of the vehicle that is coated with CarPro CQuartz which is very grabby as noted above.

I do have application questions as I get a ton of high spots that are very hard to buff out (yes harder to get rid of them CQuartz).

I've noticed that the bottle and product web page have different application instructions.

The bottle says.
    1) Spray Directly onto surface
    2) Distribute with foam applicator
    3) Immediately remove excess with MF towel
    4) Do not expose to water for 12 hours

The product page says:
    1) Polish
    2) Spray on panel
    3) Distribute with foam applicator, work the coating into the surface until it disappears
    4) If high spots occur lightly buff off
    5) Wait 24 hours before topping with paste wax

My steps
    1) Polished with CarePro Essence, waited 1 hour
    2) Used CarPro Eraser
    3) Applied the Surface Coating to a 2x2 section with the Lake Country Golden Foam applicator working it into the paint until no more worked in. At this point about 50% of the product disappeared (maybe about 1 minute of working it?). Note I used ONE spray of the coating for the section and a little misted on the applicator itself.
    4) Buff off the high spots. Note this takes forever as they are very hard to remove. Sometime I have to use a little bit more product to try and get rid of the high spots. Sometimes I can't get them off at all so I'm debating if they are bad enough to do back and hand polish the spot and reapply.

Thoughts? Am I just working it too long? Should I work it into the paint for 10-15 secs and then wipe? Use I use microfiber like Mike says he does in another thread?

Any help and suggestions would be helpful.

Paul
    I've done 3 cars with this now. I tried foam applicators, I tried even tried suede and it was still kinda finicky. What I ended up doing was just spraying a few small spritzes per panel then very quickly spreading with a microfibre. Flip the towel if necessary to level any excess but you should see the product spread and then evaporate pretty quickly. Then just go around the car using the same dampened portion of the folded towel to spread the product. You can get around the car in ~15 minutes this way. If you notice any high spots you missed when you're doing a final walk around just knock them down with that same damp portion of your application towel then give the area a quick buff with a dry towel if necessary.

11. Likes paulgyro liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 986DTM View Post
    I've done 3 cars with this now. I tried foam applicators, I tried even tried suede and it was still kinda finicky. What I ended up doing was just spraying a few small spritzes per panel then very quickly spreading with a microfibre. Flip the towel if necessary to level any excess but you should see the product spread and then evaporate pretty quickly. Then just go around the car using the same dampened portion of the folded towel to spread the product. You can get around the car in ~15 minutes this way. If you notice any high spots you missed when you're doing a final walk around just knock them down with that same damp portion of your application towel then give the area a quick buff with a dry towel if necessary.
    Thanks much for your feedback and sharing your experience. It sound like you move very fast around the car. I can envision you just touching every surface of paint quickly and moving along, not really working it into the paint. Is that right? Have you had trouble removing the high spots you find? Using this approach what percentage of high spots do you think you get?

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say the speed and manner in which I do it is more or less like the way you would use a spray wax i.e. few sprays, quickly spread, move on. For tight areas or areas where you don't want over spray, you can try spraying the product directly on your microfibre then applying. I've had no difficulty removing high spots. How many you have will depend on how thorough you are! If you're someone who leaves streaks and excess behind when you spray wax then the same will apply here. I know it seems counterintuitive that you're not "working the product in" as much with this method but I definitely notice an immediate increase in slickness when applying the product this way, so to me that must mean coating is on there and I've got sufficient coverage.

Honestly just try a small panel with this method, preferably on a dark car so you can see the product spread. It's really quite foolproof this way. You won't mess anything up and you'll have the hang of it in no more than 5 minutes.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast