autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Simple By Hand System to Clean, Polish and Ceramic Coat your Motorcycle

Simple By Hand System to Clean, Polish and Ceramic Coat your Motorcycle

A new forum member recently asked how to protect his brand new 2020 Harley Davidson Electra Glide motorcycle. I asked him if he was working by hand or using some type of polisher. You can see the thread here,

New Electra Glide need advise

He answered he's currently working by hand.

I thought about his situation, he has a brand new motorcycle, probably a tick on the spendy side. It's BRAND NEW. He's being proactive by looking for help and product suggestions to protect and preserve the appearance of his new pride and joy.

So I thought about it.... taking into consideration, no polisher and really, for a bike in new condition - you don't really need a polisher. BUT you do need products that are easy to use by hand and will not only protect the finish on the painted parts of the motorcycle, but in my opinion and experience, he wants something that will make the paint SLIPPERY.

Over the weekend I detailed a boat and a truck and for the truck, I tested out a new product combination and I really liked it. Stay tuned for that write-up, I'll share it here.

But to make good, helpful and accurate products suggestion for this new forum member, I went out to the garage and simply tested what I'm recommended to make sure it worked for m.

Here's one of our demo hoods. 2 weeks ago I machine sanded, cut and buffed this panel so that the paint was perfect.

Demo Hood

This hood represents the paint on the brand new Harley Davidson Electra Glide.

I lightly wiped the hood clean from any dust and then hand applied the Dr. Beasley's Z1. I immediately wiped off the residue - no problems.

Then I misted one side of a folded microfiber towel with the PBL Surface Coating and then misted a few spritzes onto the middle of the demo hood. I then spread teh product around like I would normally and then switched to the 3rd clean, dry microfiber towel and buffed the paint to a high shine. The results were as expected. Clear, glossy paint that's slick and slippery. Just how I like my own car's paint and just how I would want the paint on the gas tank, fenders and fairing on a brand new Harley Davidson.

The above is a simple process. Anyone with even a little skill to work with thier hands could do this process to a motorcycle or even a car. If doing a car, I would use an orbital polisher though for the speed factor.

Best of all, it's fast and easy. You don't have to use a Panel Wipe to chemically strip the paint after using the Z1 you can go right to the PBL Surface Coating. The PBL Surface coating is super fast and easy to use and unlike a lot of coatings that leave your paint feeling rubbery, it leaves your paint feeling slick and slippery. And I know this is what I would want the paint on my new motorcycle to feel like if I owned a brand new bike.

I love bikes or "motorcycles" and even bought 2 750 Yamaha's after I lost my right leg in a boating accident back in 1986. So while I love big bikes, I probably won't ever purchase, own or ride one again simply because it's a lot of work to go through life with only one leg and I would hate to have to do it missing both my legs. Not trying to scare anyone away from owning and riding motorcycles, like I said - I bought 2 big bikes AFTER I lost my leg - so I'm as hardcore as you can get when it comes to motorcycles. I just made a decision that's best for me.

So to Aluminum13 and everyone that will read this thread into the future, (I never type for the present), below are the products, including the yellow foam applicators and the exact microfiber towels I used to test this system for cleaning, polishing and coating paint by hand. Because you don't have to chemically strip the Z1 before topping, you don't have to RISK marring the paint when wiping it with a Panel Wipe, (panel wipe = solvent = not the best thing to wipe paint with).

You can even stop after the Z1 and skip the PBL Surface Coating as the Z1 does leave behind a nano ceramic coating and it is glossy and slick. I just think the extra step of using the PBL Surface Coating amps up the slickness and also creates a totally uniform appearance to the paint.

I'm not much of a sales guy. In fact, probably 30 years ago I wrote this,

A professional never sales anything they solve problems. If your product or service will solve someone's problem - they will sell themselves. -Mike Phillips

So below are the links to get what you need if you're looking for a "system" that is simple and works.

On Autogeek.com

Dr. Beasley’s NSP Z1

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating

Pinnacle Foam Wax Applicators - 6 Pack

Forrest Green Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloths - Cobra 6 Pack

2. Likes Thomkirby, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Simple By Hand System to Clean, Polish and Ceramic Coat your Motorcycle

Good timing on this article Mike,

I have a garage queen, 2007 Honda 919, that I need to get ready for sale and will try this combination since I received by Z1 last week from AG! I already use the PBL Surface coating so have that in supply.

I will try to get that done and show the before and after photos in the forum. Supposed to be a wet few days here at home so no better time to kill time in the garage than making something shine.

Mike Phillips

Re: Simple By Hand System to Clean, Polish and Ceramic Coat your Motorcycle

More,

Here's the Harley that will be here for a full write-up...

2010 Harley-Davidson FLHTCUSE5 CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide with the very rare, factory option, BURNT AMBER / HOT CITRUS with FLAME GRAPHICS color combination.