autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Pictures of Micro-Marring - DA Haze - Tick Marks - Compounds - Polishes - AIOs - Clearcoat Paints

Pictures of Micro-Marring - DA Haze - Tick Marks - Compounds - Polishes - AIOs - Clearcoat Paints

Some pictures I took today showing what micro-marring looks like on black paint. You will also see people refer to this as,

Micro-marring
    DA Haze
    Tick Marks
    Shadow Effect
    Greying
    Hazy

The first picture is using a SCANGRIP light and the second picture is using the flash on my Canon T6i

Medium micro-marring

This is a close-up cropped out of the original.

Same area lit up with the camera flash

Light micro-marring

This is a close-up cropped out of the original.

Same area lit up with the camera flash

For the above, I chose to use the words medium and light to judge the level of micro-marring. I've seen worse so I didn't want to use the term heavy or deep, or ?

Tomorrow I'll see if I can get a picture of the sun shining down on these areas so in the future, if you think you're seeing micro-marring and you can move your car into the sun, you'll have a better chance at gauging what you're looking at.

2. Thanks astro thanked for this post
    Likes astro, SWETM, Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures of Micro-Marring - DA Haze - Tick Marks - Compounds - Polishes - AIOs - Clearcoat Paints

Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures of Micro-Marring - DA Haze - Tick Marks - Compounds - Polishes - AIOs - Clearcoat Paints

Post Thanks / Like

The most common terminology (SWIRLS).

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post

The most common terminology (SWIRLS).

If that works for you. I write about, teach about make videos about it and those pictures are not swirl scratches they are specifically micro-marring from crap abrasive technology. I know, I prepped the paint, made it perfect and then tested two different products.

You can get SWIRLS from a tatty wash mitt. You cannot get the scratch pattern I show in the pictures from a dirty wash mitt.

But to each their own, I just have to be a LOT more specific than the majority of people because this is what I do.

Mike Phillips

One of the cars my class detailed had micro-marring on the hood.

These are not swirls - this is micro-marring from crappy abrasive technology or too coarse of a pad on an orbital polisher or both.

Carlo.

Micro-Marring

Here's how the hood looked. What you're seeing in this picture is called micro-marring. Micro-marring is a SPECIFIC scratch-pattern caused by either the abrasive technology or too aggressive of a pad and sometimes from both of these things. It is induced by an ORBITAL polisher, NOT a rotary buffer. Roger owns this Monte Carlo and says this is how the paint was when he purchased the car. This means the last person to detail or machine polish this car is clueless as to what they are doing. They should take this class.

See post #37

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ml#post1642702

It's kind of like a lot of people call swirls HOLOGRAMS but holograms are a specific scratch pattern put into paint from a rotary buffer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    If that works for you. I write about, teach about make videos about it and those pictures are not swirl scratches they are specifically micro-marring from crap abrasive technology. I know, I prepped the paint, made it perfect and then tested two different products.

You can get SWIRLS from a tatty wash mitt. You cannot get the scratch pattern I show in the pictures from a dirty wash mitt.

But to each their own, I just have to be a LOT more specific than the majority of people because this is what I do.

What do I know..don't know a swirl from a squirrel.

Mike Phillips