autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Mother Natures Car Wash and Ceramic Coatings

Mother Natures Car Wash and Ceramic Coatings

I've been out of commission physically for almost 2 weeks. I've also been travelling and just plain busy. So I'm the first to admit I have not kept up with washing the wife's SUV nor my own. Yep - they're both dirty.

I came home from work last night and saw that my wife Stacy had parked her Honda H-RV outside of the carport where we live. (we have a condo). So I ask her,

Why is your car parked out front instead of under the carport?

She says,

It's dirty. It's supposed to rain tonight so I'm going to let Mother Nature wash it.

I get up this morning and before getting into my own SUV I took these pictures. The Honda looked like it had just been professionally washed.

And water beading is looking good too!

Self-cleaning effect

This is what is meant by a self-cleaning effect when you install a ceramic coating. I didn't pay attention to the dirt level on the car before walking into the condo the night before but that car looked clean first thing in the morning.

Just thought I would share since this is a real-world example of one of the key features everyone lists for why to use a ceramic coating.

2. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mother Natures Car Wash and Ceramic Coatings

This post just gave me a chuckle, Mike.

Just the thought of Mrs. P having a dirty car and letting Ma Nature have at it........ Lol
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

And an old school trick.

Plus, rain water is naturally soft !

Post Thanks / Like

That could be the turning point for me and trying that new Wolfgang SiO2 Coating Wash product. Problem here is that while we had a wonderful shower last Saturday it was followed up with bright sunshine and light dust. Sadly I can see each and every water droplet after it dried. And I took extra time that morning to give it a rinse less wash. Oh, well practice makes me a bit quicker.

Thanks for the story Mike!

6. Thanks damonb10 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like this type of post! So many questions about why to use a coating can be answered by this one example.

Post Thanks / Like

Come on, we both know it's not really clean. If it was that easy we could rinse our vehicles off with a hose every couple weeks and skip the soap and wash buckets all together.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I like this type of post! So many questions about why to use a coating can be answered by this one example.
    I think you guys are over selling it quite a bit. There's been other articles about coatings not being force fields. It's only a slight self cleaning effect.

If that car was waxed in the exact same situation there would have been virtually the same cleaning effect. I would bet money the difference wouldn't be noticeable

10. Likes N/A liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post

I think you guys are over selling it quite a bit. There's been other articles about coatings not being force fields. It's only a slight self cleaning effect.

I actually talk errr type about coatings NOT being force fields and I stress this to people using them on their own car and installing them on customer's cars because I think there's an issue with perceptions about what they are and what they are not. They are not force fields. You cannot coat your car and then run it through a brush style tunnel wash and expect the coating to prevent the type of brush scratches that these types of tunnel washes inflict into a car finish.

They do make washing and drying faster and they do have a self-cleaning effect. They also last longer and if properly "touched", the word touch means washed and dried, then they LOOK good longer than traditional car waxes and synthetic sealants.

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post

If that car was waxed in the exact same situation there would have been virtually the same cleaning effect. I would bet money the difference wouldn't be noticeable

I'd have to politely disagree with you.

First - I hesitated at posting this thread with these pictures because I know it's easy for people, (not you fightnews), but people in general to become cynical; especially in the car care products world. But I'm the guy that coated it and I've been washing neglected cars and well-kept cars for longer than I like to remember and the paint on this Honda looked like it had just been washed after sitting in a hard rain over night.

I DO agree that you could get the same self-cleaning effect from a car wax or a synthetic sealant if either of these had been applied recently. My wife Stacy and I tried to remember when we installed the coating and a near as we can remember it was in November of 2018. The only clue I have is someone on this forum there's a thread where I talked about using SONAX Polymer Net Shield on the trim and the tires of this car. If I could find that thread I could confirm the time-frame when the coating was installed.

Besides a few hand washes since then and a few coin-op spray-off since then, nothing else has been done to the exterior of the car. Here's my opinion. All the cars under the carport get dirty, it's mostly dust from normal air-borne dirt and also when the grounds keepers do the lawn care and trim hedges, then use the gas powered leaf blowers to blow-out the parking lots and roads. So the cars get a pretty good film of dirt and dust on them even sitting under a car part. The real benefit to a car part, (in case anyone doesn't know or realize), is it block the sun from destroying the exterior of a car.

So when I came home and saw the car parked outside of the carport it struck me as unusual. She doesn't normally park this car out where it can be tortured by the sun. So I asked her why and she said so the rain could rinse her off. I figure, yeah, it rains pretty hard around here, couldn't hurt and I don't have time to do a proper wash.

Next morning, I walk outside and look at the car and she shined like she was just washed. I naturally attributed this self-cleaning effect to the coating.

Would this happen if the car had wax or sealant on it? Sure - if it was fresh. It's been near as we can remember 7 months see the coating was installed with only a few hand washes and a few coin-top spray-offs.

Everyone can make up their own mind but in my mind - it was the fact that this paint has a ceramic coating on it that enabled it to self-clean from a hard rain and do it better than would have happened if I had waxed it or applied a sealant. I do think SONAX Polymer Net Shield can do this same type of thing and hold up for a long time (depending upon how the car is "touched"), but that's my opinion, I'm sticking to it and I also put it out here for all of you to see and think about and then come to your own conclusions.

I'm completely okay with anyone that disagrees and would even challenge me on my conclusions, but with 42,836 posts at the time I'm typing out this reply, I would challenge anyone to wade through the 42,000+ posts and document a history of me purposefully misleading people. You won't find it. There's no there there as they say. Not that post count matters....

I may bring this car down to Autogeek this weekend and do a normal wash because Stacy made me Mango Pie yesterday and also because the tires are brown with blooming and I want to test out the new Pinnacle Black Label Tire Clearcoat. If I do, you can expect another review and write-up documenting my car detailing work. Another opinion I have is anyone that is going to teach car detailing for a living should also DO car detailing. Walk the talk, not just talk.

Homemade Mango Pie

Note the crust is a series of overlapping Starfish

12. Likes SWETM, Celabe, PaulMys, Jim w liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post

That could be the turning point for me and trying that new Wolfgang SiO2 Coating Wash product.

I'll send you a bottle to test out today.

Do you use any type of ceramic coating on any of your cars at this point in time?

Post Thanks / Like

I know from personal example that driving my coated car in a rainstorm will give it a good cleaning on the hood and top areas. Not so much on the rear deck and sides where road crap is thrown up. Normally even the bugs on the front bumper clean right off. Now I keep a good fresh SiO2 product on my bumper and hood area because these parts take the brunt of the environment so things that normally would stick actually slide off. Wax does not work as well, give it a try. IGL Premier is a good long lasting topper that will make stuff slide right off and it’s oleophpobic as well. I’m not saying a coating is a force field either but right now it’s the best thing going.

15. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast