autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mother Natures Car Wash and Ceramic Coatings

Great example, and I agree a waxed/sealed car never turned out as well after a rain as one which has been coated. When I used to use sealants, the vehicle would often be water spotted or simply look worse than before the rain due to pooling of the rain or the dust and pollen not being totally washed away. Only the heaviest down pours would have any real cleaning action. With a coating, even a light shower serves as a good rinse and clean the car up nicely.

I love going to work and noticing my car needs to be washed when I get home and then have a rainshower during the day do the job for me!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I was just noticing my wife's car outside this morning and I finished coating it 17 days ago. For the first 7 days there was no rain, great for curing. Then from that point on we've had a lot of on and off rain, some heavy storms. The car looks like it was washed recently. Even the tires are still nice and black (they were dressed with PERL after I finished coating). It's great to have coating and get free washes from mother nature. Just not good if you live in an area where water will spot after it dries. Coatings form a lot of beads that dry quickly with sun exposure and can leave a lot of water marks. They usually come off with the next wash but some areas tend to leave things behind that etch. I've been fortunate to not get that issue around here.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

I am a wax/sealant guy who now also enjoys the SiO2 toppers. I will vouch for wax/sealants for every strength they hold, but when it comes to self-cleaning, I see a huge difference in cleanliness after a rainstorm. Wax/sealants, for me, always look like dust/dirt has been moved around by water and then dried. This is OK, I typically WW/RW/Wash 3x per week.

SiO2 products leave the paint shining after a good rainstorm. Bottom panels will still have traces of dirt noticeable up close, and the backs may still be dirty, but less so; much easier to clean.

4. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i am amazed every time it rains, my wifes black 2012 suburban sits outside 100% of the time...un covered !

we have 4 kids playing various sports and all lots are rocked, once a year i refresh the detail and re apply Black Label Diamond Surface Coating.

just a single rain showers makes it look like new again, from about 5 ft away. Most people are amazed when i tell them it has over 100k miles, and rarely gets a real washing.

Post Thanks / Like

The self cleaning aspect of my coatings is the best characteristic to me. We've had a ton of rain here in Tampa lately and the car looks clean.

Am I accumulating a bunch of road film? Yup. So my rockers and tail look dirty? Yup (up close). But those are addressed with my weekly washes.

Plus, I use the drip method after a final rinse and this coating leaves very little water to then blow off.

I've never had a wax or sealant behave this good.

Super Member antti@561detailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one client who called me and told me that all he has to do is speed up when it rains and car is clean again.
    I thought he was nuts..but after 50+ coating installations, he is not the only one who claims it...
    And car does look clean after a good rain storm...is it perfectly clean. NO, but it is clean...
    561 Car Detailing Gtechniq Accredited Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Way cool story! KEEP ON ROCKING!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Took a few pics of the wife’s car (1 month old Essence topped with Cosmic Spritz) when she got home yesterday, made me think of this thread. Car hasn’t been washed in 5 days, it T-stormed many times this week, and she commutes 22 miles each day, mostly highway. Sooo... its not like the car just sat in the driveway for 5 days.

Looks pretty clean to me! The last two pictures I tried to capture the tiny bit of noticeable dirt... but there’s also driveway pavement reflections making it hard to differentiate the very minor road grime spots.

Mother Natures Car Wash and Ceramic Coatings-img_4004-jpg
    Mother Natures Car Wash and Ceramic Coatings-img_4007-jpg
    Mother Natures Car Wash and Ceramic Coatings-img_4017-jpg
    Mother Natures Car Wash and Ceramic Coatings-img_4010-jpg
    Mother Natures Car Wash and Ceramic Coatings-img_4008-jpg
    Mother Natures Car Wash and Ceramic Coatings-img_4009-jpg
    Mother Natures Car Wash and Ceramic Coatings-img_4018-jpg

10. Likes PaulMys, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is my dilemma. I do the finish coat of 845 twice/yr. In the fall, my garaged vehicles all bead like new still. The only reason I do the fall tx is because I lice in CT. Cars either get put away or endure nasty winter CaCl etc. How much better can it get? 1x/yr? Ahh, but in tne real world we do get swirls etc so 2x/ yr is ideal to keep things nice looking
    2018 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider Competizione Red, 2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrofoglio, Alfa Rosso, 2021.5 Range Rover Westminster, Portofino Blue 2016 Maserati GTS, MC Int, Ext Campio Blue, 2013 Lotus Evora IPS, Solar Yellow; 2011 Lotus Evora S, Persian Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ddsski View Post
    This is my dilemma. I do the finish coat of 845 twice/yr. In the fall, my garaged vehicles all bead like new still. The only reason I do the fall tx is because I lice in CT. Cars either get put away or endure nasty winter CaCl etc. How much better can it get? 1x/yr? Ahh, but in tne real world we do get swirls etc so 2x/ yr is ideal to keep things nice looking
    I agree with you here, and only use the sprays for that reason (or when I do use a coating it will be economical enough that I don’t mind polishing off way before its dead). I can’t go a full 1+ year without polishing, even when the car only has very minor swirls. I just like to get the grime off and start 95% clear of swirls.

Collinite is great. The SiO2 does keep clean better than anything though.

13. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast